You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke
28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

In the replies he says they're the best because both have made World Cup quarterfinals. Couldn't make it up.

Beggars belief, I guess they are just desperate to justify the fee. Mind you, talking bollocks won't wash with most fans, even their own. 

Guest Pistonbroke
22 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Lindelof had a good season last year.

He didn't, he was suspect at the start and only looked a bit better once OGS took over. A very mediocre defender when you realise the hype about him and the fee. 

The cost is nuts. Thing is he will look decent in most games. He's fine against most of the league, even decent. The difference is when he's up against the great forwards with a bit of pace as they roll the big grock easily. But he will likely get away with loads of fouls and shirt tugging as a manc 

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

If we let Arsenal get Coutinho on loan then we deserve everything we get.

I think we'll be okay, but I’d be lying if I were to say I'm not harbouring a little bit of trepidation. The thing that concerns me is the extent to which teams that missed out on the CL like Man Utd & Arsenal have bolstered their squads. Admittedly, they weren’t even close to us last season, Utd have the Solskjaer handicap and they have to overhaul Chelsea and Spurs first, but I suppose having seen us flop miserably in 02-03, 09-10 and 14-15 has left a mark.

That worst case scenario of dropping out of the top four is unlikely, but if it were to happen, the coming season would almost certainly be Klopp's penultimate one with us - for whatever reason, managers in the modern game simply don't recover from that sort of decline at the same club - and then it’s another rebuilding process, but under someone who simply would not be of the same calibre.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

If we dropped out the top 4 the owners would never sanction any proper spending to get us back in. 

They wouldn't have to worry about finding funds. The transfer requests would be in before midnight on the last day

I think we're in danger of having a season like Klopp's last at Dortmund. Everyone around us barre Chelsea have strengthened massively and we've not even stood still, we've gone backwards. We've lost our left back cover and potentially could lose one of our centre backs as well to Roma.

If an injury happens to Gomez and Matip (which quite frankly is very likely) we'll be down to Fabinho out of position in no time. Milner is not a left back. If the front three get injured Origi and Brewster aren't going to cover them. AOC has problems with his calf and seems destine for another injury plagued year. Lallana can't be trusted to go one week without injury. 

It's pure stupidity and there's no need for it whatsoever. We could bring Coutinho in on loan and pay him Sturridge's wages. We could bring Werner or Bergwijn in for about 30m to give us cover for the front three. We could buy Phillip Max or Junior Firpo and not have to play Milner out of position. It'd require about 60m in spends. We could sell Harry Wilson for £25m. It's all self inflicted. Our smugness will come back to bite us.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4