You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's not a hill to die on, it's an opinion about a player. I think he's pretty awful as a footballer. As bad as just about any we've had. In my lifetime at our club, I'd say Dundee, jovanovic and maybe mad Erik are worse. He's about on a par with borini, although borini was technically better I think. I'd have an injured Andy Carroll before him he's that bad. 

Sorry mate, but no.

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's not a hill to die on, it's an opinion about a player. I think he's pretty awful as a footballer. As bad as just about any we've had. In my lifetime at our club, I'd say Dundee, jovanovic and maybe mad Erik are worse. He's about on a par with borini, although borini was technically better I think. I'd have an injured Andy Carroll before him he's that bad. 

Absurd doesn't even begin to cover how bad this opinion is.

I don't think Origi is as bad as Barry Wom is saying, but he is someone we could and should be improving on. Yes he scored a lot of important goals for us last year, yes he is going to be part of LFC folklore and rightly so. But that doesn't mask the fact that he isn't the best I'm afraid. 

He's always offside, his hold up play is dreadful and he doesn't noticeably press. But he knows how to score big goals, though he will never likely have a patch in his career again like he did in May. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

I'd question those 50 top flight goals!! or we classing League cup goals as top flight etc? stats for us are:

8 goals in cups (Fa and League) from 15 matches

5 goals from 20 in Europe (3 important ones last season)

15 goals from 63 (prem)

as some are saying he is mostly a sub i'll look at the stats for mins per goal 

18/19 = 122 mins per goal

16/17 = 208 mins per goal

15/16 = 133 mins per goal

over his career he has 1 goal in 223 mins.. (which is I think sim to bobbys but obviously completely diff players) 

looks like he has scored more when started but always against shite....

Top flight means playing for a team in the top flight aka a top league. Origi has played for a Ligue 1, Bundesliga and Premier League club. 3 pretty good ones, at that. And he's had stretches of games where he's been unplayable at the highest level in Europe and in the Premier League.

Macheda's only scored goals, and I'm saying that liberally, in Greece and the Championship. He didn't have a single goal at Sampdoria, or Stuttgart, and he had 4 at Manchester United. That's why it's an utterly stupid comparison. I can't believe we're even talking about this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I can’t speak for those people on twitter but there’s plenty in here slagging off a lot of our bit part players that did their part in achieving what we achieved last season because they’re spoilt twats.  I’m not talking about lads saying that want us to sign some players and have a reasoned approach to it.  I’m talking about the people whinging about everything around it.  The club has been going in the right direction for a while now.  We held off signing players until we knew we could get the top tier we were struggling to sign when we were outside the top 4.  We broke into it and signed a few and held off for Virg which then resulted in astronomical cry arsing.  It worked out pretty well.

It’s up to the individual obviously but the negativity isn’t going to help the team.  There should be a party atmosphere at every game next season as it should be a season with so much less pressure than before.

The taking stock thing is just a guess of what it looks like to me.  They may have decided it a while ago.  

Attack the fans all you want but the fans raising concerns are right. Going into the season with less cover than we had last season is a mistake and it will come back to bite us. The irony is you'll still be dishing it out "to the fans" if we end up finishing 8th saying it was the fans negativity heading into the season that hampered the team and ignoring the obvious lack of recruitment. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

And he scored 6 in 31 bundesliga and got fucked off, 14 in 73 ligue 1 and 15 in 63 prem... when where these stretches of games when he was unplayable? making him out to be fucking Ronaldo (the fat one)

Oh you know, just really important ones like the fucking Champions League semi, the final, both Europa League matches against Dortmund, Everton. Small matches.

I'm not making him out to be Ronaldo, I'm making him out to be a decent backup striker who has shown he can score goals and I'm disputing a comparison made between him and a fucking barely Championship level striker, that's all.

Like I said, this is an absurd conversation. As dumb as any I've had on here.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

Attack the fans all you want but the fans raising concerns are right. Going into the season with less cover than we had last season is a mistake and it will come back to bite us. The irony is you'll still be dishing it out "to the fans" if we end up finishing 8th saying it was the fans negativity heading into the season that hampered the team and ignoring the obvious lack of recruitment. 

I didn’t say the fans once in that quote you mad cunt.

Sturridge and Moreno have left.  Two players that the vast majority on this forum would rather have nobody than them.  Moreno wasn’t even second choice left back last season.  I’m not massively over awed with Brewster but I reckon he will offer more than Sturridge.

I would obviously like us to sign some new better players and I’m not saying people shouldn’t suggest that.  I’m saying massive weapons that think we might finish 8th with the same first team and pretty much the same squad as last season are cryarsing and need to fuck off.

12 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I didn’t say the fans once in that quote you mad cunt.

Sturridge and Moreno have left.  Two players that the vast majority on this forum would rather have nobody than them.  Moreno wasn’t even second choice left back last season.  I’m not massively over awed with Brewster but I reckon he will offer more than Sturridge.

I would obviously like us to sign some new better players and I’m not saying people shouldn’t suggest that.  I’m saying massive weapons that think we might finish 8th with the same first team and pretty much the same squad as last season are cryarsing and need to fuck off.

You don't know where we'll finish so it's entirely speculative. Yes we won the European cup. It was great, but I don't want to spend the next 14 years talking about it (like last time). I want to see the team kick on. This season the slate wipes clean. 

However i'm not deluding myself that we'll go toe to toe with City this season without some massive slices of luck, and if an injury crisis befalls our front three then we could end up having a bad season. 

• Upvote 1

Saw this on another forum

As I’m lying on the sofa watching the darts and the baseball doing very little. I’ve done a bit of maths to work out what I think we have. You're more than welcome to pick me up on what you think is incorrect here.

So last year we made £125m profit. Which we then roughly spent on Alisson, Shaqiri and Fabinho. So those two things net off meaning that you’ve got to find this extra money from somewhere. Agreed?

So then you work out what’s extra and different to last year.

Solanke and Ings bring in about £39m so we can start there with £39m. I think the commerical revenue has gone up by about £10m, so that’s an extra £10m for £49m. The extra champions league prize money is roughly £20m more for winning it against being runner up, it could be less given we made about £3m less in the group stage this year but we’ll say £20m. So that’s got us to £69m. I can’t think of anything else extra in terms of incomings. Ticket prices are the same, but we did however have two fewer home games. 

You then have to take off your £7m bonus fund (I’m convinced there’ll be more in the players contracts as well but we only have evidence of your money so that’s all we’ve got), and an increased wage bill of somewhere in the region of £20m with the new players and the numerous new contracts. I’ll leave transfer clauses as we don’t know exactly how that works. Knock the Dutch kid off and you leave £40m

So that leaves about £40m before anything we don’t know about. Could be more, could be less, probably nothing significant bar the training ground costs but we’ll leave it at £40m.

So that leaves enough for a £35m player in £100k a week or so by my reckoning, which isn’t hugely dissimilar to the noises the club gave out a month or so ago. If you disagree fair enough but for there to be more than that there’s something I’ve seriously missed.

I couldn’t care less about being right, I couldn’t care less about defending FSG against being labelled bad owners (it literally makes sense for me to do that), I’m just saying it how I see it. I’d like us to spend a lot of money and buy as many great players as exist on earth but I’m just giving my interpretations of it.

57 minutes ago, Boss said:

You don't know where we'll finish so it's entirely speculative. Yes we won the European cup. It was great, but I don't want to spend the next 14 years talking about it (like last time). I want to see the team kick on. This season the slate wipes clean. 

However i'm not deluding myself that we'll go toe to toe with City this season without some massive slices of luck, and if an injury crisis befalls our front three then we could end up having a bad season. 

I’m not deluding myself either.  We can’t compete with them in the league whether we spend 200m or not.  Last season proved that. We need to develop the young team/squad we have which Klopp seems to be driving.  We should be doing everything his way to keep him happy and it looks like the club are doing that

42 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Saw this on another forum

Not sure whether he's included the  £152m PL TV revenue, £40m Standard Chartered sponsorship, £5m Western Union sponsorship , £20m AXA sponsorship, £45m New Balance money, concert money and US tour/ pre season money. 

Origi is fine for the last half hour of games or cup games etc but if one of the front three went down for a couple of months I wouldn't fancy seeing him play 6-10 games and have a good impact. 

Chamberlain isn't a wide player, neither is Gini. Wilson not good enough and Lallana is a waste of a squad place as he will be injured quickly enough. He slows the game down too much

If one of Mane, Firmino or Salah is long term injured and Origi has to play most games then watch his cult status change to a word very similar to cult quite quickly with the knee-jerk bunch. 

He’s had a dream few games for us. Career defining in fact. But he’s no front man in a team looking to consistently challenge. In fact, he’s no back up front man either. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4