Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 224 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

5 hours ago, CWD82 said:

You're missing the point I’m trying to make J-V.

You are correct we don’t get done on the counter but our keeper, backline and midfield are miles better than Arsenal. I’ll even say Gomez, Lovren, Keita, Milner and Chamberlain (our back ups arguably) are all better than any of Arsenal’s starters in their positions.

None of their front 3 get in our team like for like either by the way.

They’re a shit show of a team. They haven’t got the platform in defence or midfield to play that front 3

Your point was incorrect.  According to you Arse "Front 3 with Lacazette and Aubameyang and they get destroyed in midfield by any team that can counter".  No they wouldn't if they were to get destroyed it would be because they lack the players in the positions you mentioned in the quoted post above.

• Upvote 1

Playing a high-stakes poker game.

Think I read the Chinese transfer deadline is this week , so if they don't get the transfer fee offered they could end up paying a fortune each week for a player the manager has said he doesn't want.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Ward was getting a shot at being No1 a few days later he was gone and Alison was in. Smoke and mirrors. Or not.

We discovered fekirs knee was made of spaghetti. We spent the fekir money on alisson otherwise we might still be looking at ward or Ming. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The season will come down to the front three staying fit. If that ends up being the case, Keita improving to the level he's capable of playing at and Chamberlain playing something close to a full season improves our squad from last season.

Those two were non-entities last season but both offer the creativity, dribbling and drive that our regular midfield of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson don't offer. If those two play at a good level, we'll be flying. 

So if everything is perfect we'll be ok. It doesn't seem much of a plan to be honest. 

And as for keita, I know it's not a popular view, but he'll never make it with us imo. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So if everything is perfect we'll be ok. It doesn't seem much of a plan to be honest. 

And as for keita, I know it's not a popular view, but he'll never make it with us imo. 

I said we need 3 players to stay fit and 2 to be good. Not exactly said everything needs to be perfect. I think expecting players who cost 35m and 55m respectively to be a value add to the squad isn't too unrealistic, but that's just me. 

I would say keeping the back 5 fit and available is probably more important - tough to beat if you are not conceding anything. We have shown we can win without one/two of our front three.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would say keeping the back 5 fit and available is probably more important - tough to beat if you are not conceding anything. We have shown we can win without one/two of our front three.

We'll struggle in the long run if any of the front 3 are out. Playing Lovren, Gomez or Milner at the back for say, a month, is a far better outcome. 

Real Madrid acting like cunts towards a cunt by not letting said cunt leave for free so cunt can earn £1 million quid a week ... all cunts together

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We'll struggle in the long run if any of the front 3 are out. Playing Lovren, Gomez or Milner at the back for say, a month, is a far better outcome. 

Yea, neither would be good for a long stretch. Of the three I would miss Mane the most.

It would depend on the games -- for me, our front three are really at their best against top sides. All of them struggle to play with their backs to the goal against cloggers. They thrive in transition.

36 minutes ago, J-V said:

Your point was incorrect.  According to you Arse "Front 3 with Lacazette and Aubameyang and they get destroyed in midfield by any team that can counter".  No they wouldn't if they were to get destroyed it would be because they lack the players in the positions you mentioned in the quoted post above.

In that case, we agree. They will get destroyed on the counter attack playing them 3 as they’re shit and don’t have the players behind to support being a Liverpool rip off

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I told my kids last night I didn't have any money when they asked as they were going out. Really had a little cash in the pocket.

Yeah but did you have to go pick them up when they couldn't afford a taxi? 

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

No point talking about city in some ways, they've got an outstanding squad and anything they buy at the moment is to bring some depth in the position they have and allow for some continuity as the some of their players are getting the wrong side of 30. It's pretty fair to assume though, they've made par high 90s points and I see no reason why they won't go there again, so unless you're happy not challenging for the league, high 90s is the target. 

I don't care about any of those behind us right now. I think your assesment makes their changes appear in the most negative light you could paint them. But as far as I'm concerned, they're not city's business, so they shouldn't be ours. None of those sides will beat 90 points. 

So what it all comes down to for me, is what we can do. Can we be as competitive on the league as last year? Well a simplistic view is yes as we've held together the first XI. However, there are more factors. Our forwards have only just stopped playing. They will likely struggle early on. We had that issue to some extent last year, but sturridge started the season well and was able to do his only work during that spell. This year we're to rely on someone who's never played 1st team football or origi. We've also lost cover at left back. I'm not arsed Moreno is gone, we should have shifted him years before, but why shouldn't we replace him in the squad? Then there's the fixture list. We're guaranteed to play 50 matches this season if we don't win 1 cup game. That's harder than last year, with a slightly thinner and more tired squad. Then what if we actually managed to win some domestic cup games? That's more pressure on the squad right there. 

For me the squad at best is the same as last year, but with the impact of the summer on our forwards and letting sturridge go, I think we're a bit behind. And the season is going to be tougher. And now we're European champions, maybe more of a scalp and games getting more difficult. 

So here's the thing for me. If you're happy with something in the top 4 and if things our way a decent CL run, then not adding to the squad I think is fine. If we've any real aspirations of winning the league, we should add to the squad. Personally I think we're settling for the former. 

Lots of good stuff in here and we’re broadly in agreement. My post was in response to some cry arsing about our rivals strengthening. Some have but not significantly. We agree that we’re the 2nd best team in the country still next season.

I want us to win it but in my eyes the key to that is taking at least 4 points off city ourselves rather than the other way round.

We need a left back to back up Robertson, I think I said that in the original post. I would argue us getting Chamberlain back makes us stronger if he gets back to fitness and we have to let him try to do that. Same way we have to give Keita a go at being the player he’s meant to be.

Brewster if he can sprint is better than Sturridge in my opinion. He was gone at the end. 

The point about the front 3 I also agree with but I don’t see anyone who comes in and sits on the bench. We’re not breaking our transfer record for a back up right winger who is 1/4 of the player Salah is. If Pepe does what Shaqiri did in his last season for Stoke people will say Pepe was a decent signing. We have Shaqiri. We have Origi who has shown improvement and we’re meant to be in for another versatile forward. Get them and we are better than last year.

Beat city at home and get a point away and we’re close to winning it again

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Real Madrid acting like cunts towards a cunt by not letting said cunt leave for free so cunt can earn £1 million quid a week ... all cunts together

This.

This is probably the most sensible post in this thread for I don't know how many pages...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said we need 3 players to stay fit and 2 to be good. Not exactly said everything needs to be perfect. I think expecting players who cost 35m and 55m respectively to be a value add to the squad isn't too unrealistic, but that's just me. 

3 players to stay fit is perfect. 

As for the other 2. One has an appalling injury record throughout his career and the other might have cost 50m quid, but he didn't look anything like that last year. He just looked like a fella who was so out of his depth he wanted to roll round the floor and cry. I like ox as a player, or certainly like what he did in the few months after coutinho left and before his injury, but my expectations of what he can contribute over a year is not high. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

3 players to stay fit is perfect. 

As for the other 2. One has an appalling injury record throughout his career and the other might have cost 50m quid, but he didn't look anything like that last year. He just looked like a fella who was so out of his depth he wanted to roll round the floor and cry. I like ox as a player, or certainly like what he did in the few months after coutinho left and before his injury, but my expectations of what he can contribute over a year is not high. 

No it's not. The whole squad staying fit is perfect. 

We've got two big money signings that are talented but did nothing last year for different reasons. If they play well this year we'll have a better squad. Don't know what's so unreasonable about that. 

50 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We discovered fekirs knee was made of spaghetti. We spent the fekir money on alisson otherwise we might still be looking at ward or Ming. 

I understood the connection with missing out on Fekir the point being you never know, maybe we will spend and are waiting and maybe we won’t. We should have built on last season imo. 

12 hours ago, Boss said:

The Italian player thing is 100% real. In recent times Darmian and Immobile both failed spectacularly. Jorginho was arguably one of the worst big money flops of last season. There are hardly any examples (outside of Veratti) of current Italian players succeeding at big clubs outside Italy. It's also a fucking nightmare to get rid of them. Remember Balotelli and Aquilani?

Dossena and Padelli

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Real Madrid are blocking Bale's move to China as apparently they are demanding a transfer fee rather than allowing him to move for free.

Although they have every right to be financially rewarded for a player under contract, the way they are getting him out of the club is a disgrace and the least they can do is allow him to move on without a fanfare.

Real Madrid continue to be thundercunts.

Absolutely, I’m not a massive fan of Bale but he’s been treated badly, especially by Zidane, can’t stand him!

There are a lot of “if’s” in the posts so far and our aim should be to get as many of the “if’s” out of the equation to remain as challengers or to go on and be champions.

City attempt to do that by having two players for each position, and paying a shitload in wages to keep those on the bench happy, which of course is where their seemingly unlimited “funding” comes in.

We currently appear to be content to rely on the squad that did so well last season with the addition of potentially very good youngsters, and players either returning from injury or improving their form.

With no injuries, or drop off in form due to being over played, we could repeat last season’s achievements, and the only thing I’d be looking for in that eventuality is what I thought at the start of last season, that we take more points off City than they do off us and that would give us the league title.

That, though, isn’t removing the “if’s” from our particular scenario, and us relying on the above is taking a gamble, and it’s not cry-arsing to have maybe expected us to add to the squad when in the position we found ourselves after Madrid, it’s just being realistic.

In the past we strengthened from a position of strength and we didn’t do so badly by doing that did we?

Klopp might or might not have players in mind to add to the squad and we could still see additions yet, but if we don’t have any additions, and we repeat what we did last season, I’ll be happy with No7, but not finishing a point behind City again when a chance to improve the quality of the squad has been passed over.

Only time will tell though, as ever.