Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 217 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

I suppose it's to be expected but the reactions in here are quite a bit over the top.

 

I think it's pretty clear to any objective observer that we got a bit fortunate last season to get to 97 points. The last-minute winners against Everton & Spurs, quite a few more set-piece goals than you'd expect, our full-backs both getting into double-figures in assists ... it's probably not going to be repeated. And it's going to be really painful to watch us get, say, 88 points and for this entire forum to act like it's a total meltdown and a "failure of the owners to invest" or something rather than just plain variance bringing us back to earth.

 

I agree that we should have been looking to bring in another wide player better than Shaqiri or Origi, because it's unlikely we'll get so lucky with the health of our front 3 again, but I kind of sympathise with Edwards. It's not as if players like Mane or Salah grow on trees. And I can easily see the argument that the difference between Nicolas Pepe and some combination of Shaqiri & Brewster is only 2 points/season or something, hardly the kind of thing you'd spend 70m and 160k/week on.

 

Honestly, if he thinks we have a serious chance at someone really, really good, someone who can seriously move the needle on our odds of winning the title, but they won't be available until next summer and even then only if we save our pennies, well, then I'm all for it. I reckon we go into this season with maybe a 15-20% chance of winning the league.

 

So if we think that we could get Sancho or Mbappe or whomever next summer, and they might boost that by 10%, but we can only do it if we save the cash this summer, then so be it. It's hardly as if the European Champions are going to fall off a cliff, as we don't have any players in serious age decline and we haven't sold anyone important. Who knows? We might even get lucky and get over 90 points again, and then all it would take would be an unexpected slump for City and we're watching Hendo lift the league trophy in May.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I suppose it's to be expected but the reactions in here are quite a bit over the top.

 

I think it's pretty clear to any objective observer that we got a bit fortunate last season to get to 97 points. The last-minute winners against Everton & Spurs, quite a few more set-piece goals than you'd expect, our full-backs both getting into double-figures in assists ... it's probably not going to be repeated. And it's going to be really painful to watch us get, say, 88 points and for this entire forum to act like it's a total meltdown and a "failure of the owners to invest" or something rather than just plain variance bringing us back to earth.

 

I agree that we should have been looking to bring in another wide player better than Shaqiri or Origi, because it's unlikely we'll get so lucky with the health of our front 3 again, but I kind of sympathise with Edwards. It's not as if players like Mane or Salah grow on trees. And I can easily see the argument that the difference between Nicolas Pepe and some combination of Shaqiri & Brewster is only 2 points/season or something, hardly the kind of thing you'd spend 70m and 160k/week on.

 

Honestly, if he thinks we have a serious chance at someone really, really good, someone who can seriously move the needle on our odds of winning the title, but they won't be available until next summer and even then only if we save our pennies, well, then I'm all for it. I reckon we go into this season with maybe a 15-20% chance of winning the league.

 

So if we think that we could get Sancho or Mbappe or whomever next summer, and they might boost that by 10%, but we can only do it if we save the cash this summer, then so be it. It's hardly as if the European Champions are going to fall off a cliff, as we don't have any players in serious age decline and we haven't sold anyone important. Who knows? We might even get lucky and get over 90 points again, and then all it would take would be an unexpected slump for City and we're watching Hendo lift the league trophy in May.

If we get Sancho or Mbappe next year , which is highly unlikely, we will lose one of Salah or Mane. And you can quote me on that!

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I suppose it's to be expected but the reactions in here are quite a bit over the top.

 

I think it's pretty clear to any objective observer that we got a bit fortunate last season to get to 97 points. The last-minute winners against Everton & Spurs, quite a few more set-piece goals than you'd expect, our full-backs both getting into double-figures in assists ... it's probably not going to be repeated. And it's going to be really painful to watch us get, say, 88 points and for this entire forum to act like it's a total meltdown and a "failure of the owners to invest" or something rather than just plain variance bringing us back to earth.

 

I agree that we should have been looking to bring in another wide player better than Shaqiri or Origi, because it's unlikely we'll get so lucky with the health of our front 3 again, but I kind of sympathise with Edwards. It's not as if players like Mane or Salah grow on trees. And I can easily see the argument that the difference between Nicolas Pepe and some combination of Shaqiri & Brewster is only 2 points/season or something, hardly the kind of thing you'd spend 70m and 160k/week on.

 

Honestly, if he thinks we have a serious chance at someone really, really good, someone who can seriously move the needle on our odds of winning the title, but they won't be available until next summer and even then only if we save our pennies, well, then I'm all for it. I reckon we go into this season with maybe a 15-20% chance of winning the league.

 

So if we think that we could get Sancho or Mbappe or whomever next summer, and they might boost that by 10%, but we can only do it if we save the cash this summer, then so be it. It's hardly as if the European Champions are going to fall off a cliff, as we don't have any players in serious age decline and we haven't sold anyone important. Who knows? We might even get lucky and get over 90 points again, and then all it would take would be an unexpected slump for City and we're watching Hendo lift the league trophy in May.

Pick a side you shithouse.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barcelona have tried for years to sign Verratti from PSG and every attempt has been thwarted, likewise their attempts to sign Neymar this summer. The idea that PSG would let a French superstar - who will become the best player in the world when Ronaldo and Messi decline - move to us, is about as plausible as us signing Messi himself. His contract runs out in 2022. Unless he leaves on a free and we are the best club in world football at the time - and Jurgen agrees a new deal - then it's just not going to enter into the realms of possibility. Sancho is plausible though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Boss said:

Barcelona have tried for years to sign Verratti from PSG and every attempt has been thwarted, likewise their attempts to sign Neymar this summer. The idea that PSG would let a French superstar - who will become the best player in the world when Ronaldo and Messi decline - move to us, is about as plausible as us signing Messi himself. His contract runs out in 2022. Unless he leaves on a free and we are the best club in world football at the time - and Jurgen agrees a new deal - then it's just not going to enter into the realms of possibility. Sancho is plausible though.

 

 

We are now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glatzel has ruptured his ACL at Tranmere. Out for 6-12 months. Such a shame for the lad as he was doing so well alongside Duncan. Had an op today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't come on her to read about transfer strategy or to be fucked at. I came on her to read about sexy transfer rumours. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I didn't come on her to read about transfer strategy or to be fucked at. I came on her to read about sexy transfer rumours. 

 

Sports Witness (no, I don’t know who they are either) say we are one of several clubs who’ve reached agreement with Lille for Pepe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Duff Man said:

Is it really too much to ask?

Exactly, everyone needs a moral boosting lean at least once per transfer window.

 

Ginger kids don’t count btw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Glatzel has ruptured his ACL at Tranmere. Out for 6-12 months. Such a shame for the lad as he was doing so well alongside Duncan. Had an op today.

He'll be like a new signing though when he returns. 

 

Tough on him though as he looks a decent player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If we get Sancho or Mbappe next year , which is highly unlikely, we will lose one of Salah or Mane. And you can quote me on that!

I don't think we will get Mbappe, but Sancho is not unrealistic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact we have such a boss starting 11 is having an impact on our market. 2 years ago we had a pool of players to choose from who could improve our first team. Look at how we set-up.... 

 

No-one replaces Allison, TAA, VVD, Robbo, Fabinho, Salah, Firmino, Mane. 

 

That leaves 3 spots 2 of which you won't find many better in their places than Henderson/Milner/Gini. We also hope to see Keita sort his shit out and be the player we bought and AOC coming back means our midfield is fucking boss. I am not forgetting Milner who will still have a massive part to play as well and in a lot of games will and should be our first midfielder on the team-sheet. 

 

Not knocking Matip because he was boss the last 3 months of the season but we could bring in a better CB. Not many to choose from though. 

 

The problem is the bench. No-one coming through is going to make a big impact new season. Shaqiri was great signing but I can't see us getting much from him next season, Lallana is a walking popadom, Origi yeah scores us big goals and glad we have kept him but he isn't filling the gap if Bobby gets injured. No cover at LB and Clyne fucked.... we need more players no doubt about it. Not mega money signings but adequate cover. We won't be as lucky with injuries next year. 

 

I wouldn't change our starting 11 for any other in the world. 

 

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc3RhZGlhLXNwb3J0cy5jby51

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

And BeefStrokinCock is a helmet.

giphy.gif

 

You can beef my stroking cock with your helmet anytime 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • One of my favourite comedy movie teams.
    • John Barnes says he does believe Liverpool will regret missing out on the signature of Timo Werner because he was not fully committed to the joining them.

      Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign the RB Leipzig striker, despite the widely held view that the Reds were in prime position to seal the transfer.
        The news may have come as a shock as well as some disappointment to Liverpool fans who were looking forward to have another class forward joining the ranks.

      But it seems the only set of individuals not surprised were the club hierarchy themselves who were not rushed into reacting and engage in a bidding war with the West London club.

      John Barnes believes there is a clear reason for that as he explained to BonusCodeBets(via The Mirror).

      “Liverpool want players that want to play for Liverpool. I'm sure a lot of people were after [Virgil] van Dijk, but he wanted to come to Liverpool.

      "If they don't get a move on and Manchester City, Arsenal or Chelsea come in for him and he decides to go there, that's not the sort of player you want anyway.

      "Because he'll just go where they're going to pay him more money or he wasn't that committed to wanting to come to play for Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

      Jürgen Klopp does things in a very measured and strategic way, almost testing the nerve of the player regarding how much he wants to play for the club.

      Patience is the key and when they do sign on the dotted line, Klopp doesn’t just throw them to the wolves, instead he waits for the right time to bed them into the lineup.

      It could be the case that Klopp believed that Werner would grow impatient with that type of process, and therefore he was not the right man for the club.  

      Barnes believes that Werner may have failed the Klopp test and cited recent examples of World Class talents who were more than willing to join the Reds.

      "I don't think they have to get a move on, they didn't get a move on with Van Dijk or Alisson and a lot of people wanted them to, it's because they wanted to come. 

      “This is a test to see if he really wants to come and play for Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

      “Considering how things have panned out it seems Werner didn't pass Klopp's test, but at the same time Liverpool - who didn't meet the deadline - failed the forward's too.”

      Former Liverpool captain Jamie Redknapp agreed with his former club not purchasing Werner and questioned where he would fit in the lineup.

      “Who is going to replace. He’s a really good player, but we don’t know right now, is he better than Mane, Firmino, Salah?

      “It’s one of the best front three in the world right now so he doesn’t want to go somewhere and be a number two or a sub.

      “Will they regret it? You don’t know but that is what he has got to do. He has got to make Liverpool regret that decision, or at least make them think ‘I wish we had signed him.

      “For Liverpool, they have got to look at it and think, if you bring someone like him in it could upset the balance of them and maybe they might think, ‘would it be worth the risk to bring in another player.

      “They have three top-class players who don’t get many injuries, why risk upsetting balance.”



       
      View full article
    • He like Pulisic can play left or right... They will let go of Willian and Pedro I reckon. 
    • I wonder if catcher et al are fully paid up members of qAnon? 
    • Positives - Covid immunity (allegedly) Negatives - Rapey (allegedly)   Bringing him in would be instead of Werner - so why buy him? Bench?      
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • Footstock
  • Online Bingo
×