Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 215 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So are we all in agreement then? That the strategy seems to be picking up the likes of Salah, turning them into world beaters, getting three seasons out of them and flogging them for the next round of transfers?

This is Mané's 4th season, Firmino's 5th. Coutinho was also here for 5.

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones with the help of the incoming funds, not sure why this needs to be explained.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aws said:

A bit, yes.  Squad strength is maybe slightly better and the age of all of our players bar Milner suggests that they should be capable of either improving or at least sustaining the same level of performance.  Plus they won't have that monkey of not winning anything on their backs. 

Obviously I'd be happier with another attacker and full back to balance the squad better but overall we're better off than we have been since the late 80s so I'm feeling positive.  If it wasn't for the fact that we're competing with an oil-state with limitless resources I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.  

Players improving. Yup, no problem.

Last season is gone. History.

But, we need to keep evolving. We don't need to rip it up and start again. 

Just a tweek here or there.

Not bothered about which team buys who. I'm bothered about that it looks like we can't out lay on quality, without selling first.

Our actual outlay on players over the last few years isn't where a club of our standing should be.

As of numerous occasions with us, we've the chance to really push on, yet we seem like we're happy standing still.

I don't really understand how anyone can be that happy if we don't improve on what we have.

Doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Players improving. Yup, no problem.

Last season is gone. History.

But, we need to keep evolving. We don't need to rip it up and start again. 

Just a tweek here or there.

Not bothered about which team buys who. I'm bothered about that it looks like we can't out lay on quality, without selling first.

Our actual outlay on players over the last few years isn't where a club of our standing should be.

As of numerous occasions with us, we've the chance to really push on, yet we seem like we're happy standing still.

I don't really understand how anyone can be that happy if we don't improve on what we have.

Doesn't make sense.

Spot on.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones, not sure why this needs to be explained.

So the Arsenal model more or less. In that scenario, you are never improving, you are just doing a slight reboot every few years. Not a great long term strategy imho.

And what if Klopp goes and doesn't extend his contract? What then? because that type of model relies on someone like him to squeeze what he can out of it.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones, not sure why this needs to be explained.

And why would you want to get rid of those players off the back of them being here a for a few seasons anyway?

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It makes me laugh how some of our supporters 'worry' over spending too much on a player, like as if its their own cash. 

The money people pay for tickets that goes to the club is, so yes it is. 

42 minutes ago, Bogman said:

But we're worse off going into this season than we were last.

I know we're not minted, but really.

Can't get my head round that shit.  We're going into this season as European Champions, justifiably so too.

How the fuck are we worse ?

If you can't see the correlation between prices of players and rising ticket prices then you're an idiot but you're trolling so I won't even bother.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So the Arsenal model more or less. In that scenario, you are never improving, you are just doing a slight reboot every few years. Not a great long term strategy imho.

And what if Klopp goes and doesn't extend his contract? What then? because that type of model relies on someone like him to squeeze what he can out of it.

He's here for 3 more years. Plenty of time for some kind of succession plan. No need to shit yourself just yet.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

And why would you want to get rid of those players off the back of them being here a for a few seasons anyway?

If players want to leave, they will eventually get their wish. No one is pushing them out, they do what they want and it's extremely stupid to keep players who want to leave.

In any case, the value of our top players has risen so much they are basically un-buyable for any fee that could be considered remotely reasonable. No one is going anywhere but if they want to force themselves out at one point, life goes on.

2 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Can't get my head round that shit.  We're going into this season as European Champions, justifiably so too.

Wouldn't say we are worse...but we won a knockout competition and come close in the league. i can't see us getting that points haul again unless teams around us have a significant dip again and City have a slow start (unlikely).

We won the CL, but it was on a knifes edge in the semi. One Barca goal and we were out. Its almost unheard of.

• Downvote 2

Just now, RobbieOR said:

If you can't see the correlation between prices of players and rising ticket prices then you're an idiot but you're trolling so I won't even bother.

So if your pumping your cash into the club you expect to see it go on the pitch? is that not right then?

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's here for 3 more years. Plenty of time for some kind of succession plan. No need to shit yourself just yet.

If players want to leave, they will get their wish. No one is pushing them out, they do what they want. In any case, the value of our top players has risen so much they are basically un-buyable for any fee that could be considered remotely reasonable. No one is going anywhere but if they want to force themselves out at one point, life goes on.

Three years is nothing mate it will be over in a blink. He's fairly young for a manager which is good for us but he also values his breaks. 

I think FSG are getting away with it due to Klopp. Under a different manager I don't think they would be so fortunate.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Yes we're champions of Europe.

How many Champs league winners then don't go out and strengthen their side.

We're at the optimum opportunity to really build on what we have. Yep, again, we don't really want to.

Forget the being worse off shit, we're not building on anything then. Better?

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Wouldn't say we are worse...but we won a knockout competition and come close in the league. i can't see us getting that points haul again unless teams around us have a significant dip again and City have a slow start (unlikely).

We won the CL, but it was on a knifes edge in the semi. One Barca goal and we were out. Its almost unheard of.

So you're writing us off now ?  All because we won't buy an expensive new shiny toy ?

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If players want to leave, they will get their wish.

No that shouldn't be the case. With that attitude you'll get nowhere. You get players sticking around in championship winning teams that are constantly pushing for the best trophies year in year out.

To do that you have to show ambition. Thats why Liverpool sides of old never sat on their hands. i mean they had fucking Rush and Dalglish up front, who could replace them?

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Yes we're champions of Europe.

How many Champs league winners then don't go out and strengthen their side.

We're at the optimum opportunity to really build on what we have. Yep, again, we don't really want to.

Forget the being worse off shit, we're not building on anything then. Better?

And again, all this because we won't buy a shiny new expensive player just to keep some happy ?

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

No that shouldn't be the case. With that attitude you'll get nowhere. You get players sticking around in championship winning teams that are constantly pushing for the best trophies year in year out.

To do that you have to show ambition. Thats why Liverpool sides of old never sat on their hands. i mean they had fucking Rush and Dalglish up front, who could replace them?

Yeah, hold a gun to their heads.  That'll make 'em give 100% week in and out, just like it did Coutinho.

You should get out of the sun lad, you're drivelling now.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

The game has changed. You get nothing from hanging on to unhappy players. In any case, no one is in a hurry to leave because as much as you're trying to paint the opposite, we're extremely competently run at the moment. So this whole debate is pointless pant shitting on your part.

Just now, scudger99 said:

And again, all this because we won't buy a shiny new expensive player just to keep some happy ?

Nope.

Just want us to carry on winning shiny trophies.

Don't want to keep hoping and praying neither Mo, Bobby or Mane get busted for too long, as I don't see Big Div or Brewster to being the long term answer if we lose someone long term.

Or a nice bit of creativity in the midfield for games when we need it.

Not saying we spunk a boat load on a Bale or whoever.

My point is, it seems we can't spend without selling our assets.

We need to improve again on last season. We've been here before, or have you walked around blinkered for the last decade?

Anyway, I'm off home then away for a nice break.

Stay safe everyone. 

10 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-clubs-empty-stadiums-ticket-prices-fans-tv-broadcast-deal-a8491066.html

think there was a big tv deal played a bigger part

Just now, scudger99 said:

Yeah, hold a gun to their heads.  That'll make 'em give 100% week in and out, just like it did Coutinho.

You should get out of the sun lad, you're drivelling now.

What did Coutinho compete for you whopper in 5 years. A fucking league cup and a europa league cup and a second place league finish. He won sweet FA. And why? because the team was slow to build and never had enough quality.

You haven't got a clue what you are on about. he gave 5 years and then he got off. By the time he got off we weren't in contention for the league and still in the CL which we lost.

• Downvote 1