You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

That piece in the Echo of everyone running scared in Europe was the best yet. The whole bunch of them at the Echo are some of the worst journalists I've ever had the misfortune of reading. I used to work above them and occasionally see the likes of Pearce and co about, idiots the lot of them.

They are nothing but shills to the club now, theres no independent thought. And that goes for the Twitterati and your fan subscription services. Once they are in bed with the club getting the exclusives, thats it.

I think its a disgrace that our net spend is what it is for a Club of our stature, economic pull and history.

I think we should have more spending power. I don't quite understand how we don't. Net spend I guess is probably no more than about 20m a year under klopp, we weren't far off that under Moores and the cost of players and income has completely changed. 

26 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I have absolutely not said that. I said I reckon from what I've been told, we probably have scope to spend about 100k on wages. I posted that just 2 or 3 posts back. But it is also clear we don't see someone out there who we're willing to spend 100k wages on. I'm not advocating the mad full back buying of Rafa, but I would think for 100k we could find someone of sufficient quality if we really wanted. Everyone wanking about our stats team needs to remember they gave us etoo and balotelli as options to replace Suarez. Klopp has more balls than Rodgers and can say no and my guess is right now that's where we're at, the players presented to him by the stats pack, he thinks offer him less than we have in the club. But do you really think there's not a player out there who we can get who would be better than what we have now, which is milner or kids without a game behind them? 

I would also argue, we should have the money to buy the decent forward cover you mention. We should be rolling in it. But I absolutely think we're not in for a forward because our budget does not allow. 

Last thing from me because we're going around in circles. 

I think Klopp wanted to wait to see if the kids could play in the friendlies at left back. The answer is no, not really, so we'll probably buy a left back. You're saying the "stats pack" are giving him players who aren't good enough or we don't have have enough money to get a decent left back. That's a massive stretch.

There are dozens of relatively young, cheap left backs with potential out there who are better than Larouci and Lewis and who are fit to back up Robertson. But even if we don't buy one, Milner is perfectly good enough to backup Robertson and if we decide to do this and I don't know, give Curtis Jones a chance in midfield as well, it isn't proof we have no money. It's just another solution.

As for the forward, listen, I agree. We need one. But I think it's a reasonable explanation that already having a world class front three, it's hard to tell great 23-25 year old attackers they may not play every game or that we don't want to pay a massive fee/wages for them because of the quality we already have. Like I said, I would pay the fee for Pepe right now, but I get why we won't.

You think the owners should have more money available, fair enough. No one will change that opinion, I get it.

5 minutes ago, moof said:

We win about 75% of the time, we won the champions league. So maybe the business model isn’t working. 

What about the other 9 years they been here? What about our lack of ability to take part in domestic cups? It's certainly working for the owners, a 2nd trophy in 9 years doesn't really make me think we've got it cracked even if one of them  happened in our last competitive game. Leicester won the league a couple of years back, they didn't have it cracked. 

• Downvote 1

I think we need to supplement the squad. It’s that simple. Beef is right when he says we’d have to have an almost flawless season, including injury wise, if we want to challenge with the team as it is at present.

The window runs until August, and I still think we’ll purchase a couple of players to supplement the first team and enable us to rotate.

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

What about the other 9 years they been here? What about our lack of ability to take part in domestic cups? It's certainly working for the owners, a 2nd trophy in 9 years doesn't really make me think we've got it cracked even if one of them  happened in our last competitive game. Leicester won the league a couple of years back, they didn't have it cracked. 

Yep. An inability to bring home the fa cup certainly puts our champions league win on perspective 

• Upvote 3

Apart from Dembele, which isn't gonna happen, the only player we've had tenous links to that I'm quite interested in is Havertz. That kid is exactly what we need in the first team, a goal scoring attacking midfielder and the only one I see of the names linked as being odds on to be truly world class. Fantastic talent, he reminds me a little bit of a left footed Kaka.

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

We should be looking to compete for all trophies. 

It's just the general dismissive attitude we've had to the domestic cups. The FA Cup in particular as it takes up weekends between January and March where the players would get a break or a warm weather training camp. We should have enough resources to compete in all of them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

Apart from Dembele, which isn't gonna happen, the only player we've had tenous links to that I'm quite interested in is Havertz. That kid is exactly what we need in the first team, a goal scoring attacking midfielder and the only one I see of the names linked as being odds on to be truly world class. Fantastic talent, he reminds me a little bit of a left footed Kaka.

I would say we don't need someone who is world class today, we need a youngish and hungry player who is better at football by a reasonable amount than origi and we can improve him and make him into world class. Salah, mane and firmino were not world class when we bought them, although because we weren't as good walked right into the team. We should be shooting for someone who is at their level when we bought them, they will get plenty of games. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

We're not buying because anyone who'd be worth bringing in would bust our wage budget. 

Lovren was linked with Milan, Mignolet could have been sold to Palace and we could have tried to get rid of Lallana. With those three gone, that would be 300k a week saved on wages, yet Klopp is insisting on making them all stay.

So even if what you're saying is correct, Klopp is still making the decisions about how he wants his squad to look.

15 minutes ago, dave u said:

Lovren was linked with Milan, Mignolet could have been sold to Palace and we could have tried to get rid of Lallana. With those three gone, that would be 300k a week saved on wages, yet Klopp is insisting on making them all stay.

So even if what you're saying is correct, Klopp is still making the decisions about how he wants his squad to look.

So maybe that speaks volumes for Klopps budget from the owners? Keeping those three around is probably cheaper/easier than buying new talent.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So maybe that speaks volumes for Klopps budget from the owners? Keeping those three around is probably cheaper/easier than buying new talent.

Or, at this point, preferable from Klopps perspective.

I am not sure it has that much to do with money tbh -- I think Klopp has an idea of the number of players he wants involved on a day to day basis and feels there are no like for like replacements that would add more to the side.

24 minutes ago, dave u said:

I reckon we'd snatch the hands off of any decent bid on all 3 of them. The problem is there isn't a decent bid. Milan were supposedly ready to pay 25m and got done by ffp. Nobody in their right mind is paying a decent fee for lallana and getting near his wages because he'll play about 8 dames a year. Ming.... I think we want double what the market appears to be willing to pay, again he's on 100k a week, so getting someone to pay that and a large fee is unlikely. I don't think klopp is making anyone stay, I just don't think anyone has reached the valuation Edwards has put on these players. Just like origi last season. When the valuation is met, be that someone like solanke or the other end of the scale like coutinho, they're out of the club. It's not different to trading. When you buy, always have a sell price or a stop when it's going the other way.