Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 176 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are mostly sell to buy. It only takes one look at the net spend to see that. Now I'll be honest, and most supporters disagree with me, but I like the fact that I support a club that spends about what it earns (not that I care whether our owners make or lose money, more the part of supporting a club that is intelligent financially and makes smart decisions). 

Imo, the "we'll compete with anyone" line is more to do with the fact that they believe the club is more competent than most, which it has been, to be fair. 

To be clear, I definitely think we need one more big money attacking signing if we're to win the league. But with Klopp we've never been in a hurry and I don't really get frustrated about that kind of stuff anymore. 

so last year we made 100m, I am assuming a similar sort of figure will be heading our way this season. It's all well and good to say "spend what we earn", but what when we don't spend that? And I hve maintained since fsg bought the club, they got us on the cheap and a little injection to jump us forward was required. They didn't do that, but instead focused on how they could start pushing ticket prices that had been south of 50 quid when they arrived to towards 80 quid. OK, the fans fought back and will won that battle, but the owners have done nothing to drive us forward, their aim has always been to increase the capital value of the club. We have a great manager right now and they're getting away with how they're managing us, but everyone needs to get ready for when Klopp's copntract ends, as most other managers would get 20% less out of this lot than he does. Right now we are mirroring what happened at arsenal - a manager doing a good job and claims of "money in the bank". But it just doesn't last forever. In Arsenal's case, it went to fuck under Wengers watch, in our it will likely happen when Klopp goes as he seems dead set on leaving at the end of his 7 years. 

14 hours ago, moof said:

Maybe we should just wait and see what happens 

we could do that. then we should probably shut the forum down, as we'll just be waiting and seeing. it's a place for people to debate their thoughts. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We have a great manager right now and they're getting away with how they're managing us, but everyone needs to get ready for when Klopp's copntract ends, as most other managers would get 20% less out of this lot than he does. Right now we are mirroring what happened at arsenal - a manager doing a good job and claims of "money in the bank". But it just doesn't last forever. In Arsenal's case, it went to fuck under Wengers watch, in our it will likely happen when Klopp goes as he seems dead set on leaving at the end of his 7 years. 

You mean in 2022? Enjoy the moment, man. We have a manager who has a great and successful relationship with the owners, the transfer people, everyone at the club.

Yeah, we'll be worse when he goes and we'll need a rebuild but that's the history of team sport. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but we have smart people at the club, that's been proven.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You mean in 2022? Enjoy the moment, man. We have a manager who has a great and successful relationship with the owners, the transfer people, everyone at the club.

Yeah, we'll be worse when he goes and we'll need a rebuild but that's the history of team sport. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but we have smart people at the club, that's been proven.

yeah, 2022! We have more chance of succeeding after 2022 if we have owners who realise it is important sometimes to invest. Right now they think they're untouchable and making all the right calls. It's the manager. The stats boys were fucking crap till klopp came in. Look how they spent the suarex money. Offering just Etoo or Balotelli as a replacement for suarez. That's where we'll end back without another man of the skill and charchter of klopp (and I don't think they grow on trees) or we improve our organisation and do things better. Instead, it feels to me the "let's just get by" is the plan. 

And you didn't respond to my point about "what if we don't spend what we make"? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

yeah, 2022! We have more chance of succeeding after 2022 if we have owners who realise it is important sometimes to invest. Right now they think they're untouchable and making all the right calls. It's the manager. The stats boys were fucking crap till klopp came in. Look how they spent the suarex money. Offering just Etoo or Balotelli as a replacement for suarez. That's where we'll end back without another man of the skill and charchter of klopp (and I don't think they grow on trees) or we improve our organisation and do things better. Instead, it feels to me the "let's just get by" is the plan. 

And you didn't respond to my point about "what if we don't spend what we make"? 

The "stats boys" are getting it right with a manager that works alongside with them. Rodgers didn't and made it clear he was never going to. That leads to confusion, in-fighting, lack of trust, etc... People can't do their jobs when they can't work together with people they're supposed to work together. That was a mistake that's been rectified and hopefully will be learned from in the future.

It's not really rocket science. You get a manager that has the ability to have a working relationship with the transfer people, and good things will probably happen. Also, Klopp wanted Brandt, the "stats boys" wanted Salah and convinced Klopp to buy him. It's not all him.

Andy Robertson is also a "stats boys" signing. You really think Klopp knew who Andy Robertson was? Like I said, it's a working relationship. If we can replicate that in the future, even with someone a bit less good than Klopp, we'll be fine. 

If we don't spend what we earned, the squad is shite and the results aren't up to par, then that won't be right. But right now I don't really care. 

• Like 1

BBC Gossip pages suggest: 

1) We're open to Coutinho returning (Le 10 Sport)

2) Real Madrid want to swap Asensio for Mané (Express)

I'd suggest neither are worth the click. 

3 hours ago, aws said:

I'd forgotten about him but Grujic is staying another year at Hertha Berlin according to BBC. 

Hertha got some investment last week right so it would make sense for them to buy him outright. One more season on loan doesn't make sense

15 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Hertha got some investment last week right so it would make sense for them to buy him outright. One more season on loan doesn't make sense

It DOES makes sense if Klopp thinks he has a future here. 

2 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

BBC Gossip pages suggest: 

1) We're open to Coutinho returning (Le 10 Sport)

2) Real Madrid want to swap Asensio for Mané (Express)

I'd suggest neither are worth the click. 

Yeah. I want to swap my 80yr old mum for Alexandra Daddario. I fear both myself and  Real Madrid will be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

It DOES makes sense if Klopp thinks he has a future here. 

Maybe he sees him as Milner's long-term replacement.  

17 hours ago, Aventus said:

I'd like "spend what we earn" to apply to what we earn through sponsorships, ticket sales and the TV money. Rather than our budget being based on player sales. 

From 2013 to 2018 (the last set of published accounts), we had generated £167m of cash (revenues less costs) that could be spent on transfers. We spent a net of £282m on transfers, ergo we spent more than we earnt over those 5 years.

Maybe there is a bit of book balancing going on, spending more than you earn is not really a sustainable business model.

The shareholder loan for the Main Stand redevelopment was meant to have been paid off over 5.5 years at roughly £20m a year, over the first 2 years we paid off £10m compared to the expected £40m, that could be one thing that cash is being used for and constraining the budget

• Upvote 1

Arsenal have purportedly bid £40m for Zaha. No 1 pence? Anyway, Zaha’s brother doing his shithousery for him with this Sky interview.

“Wilfried will always hold Crystal Palace and their fans in the highest regard and all the support they have given means the world to him.

“It’s my brother’s dream though, to play for Arsenal," he added.

“Given all that Wilfried has given to Crystal Palace to help them remain a Premier League club, I hope Palace will be able to see their way to agreeing a deal with Arsenal that allows Wilfried to realise his dream of playing European Football for the club he’s supported since childhood.”

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Ings to Southampton went through today. £20m in the coffers.

£5m for Camacho

£2m for Grujic loan fee

£2.25m for Karius

£0.3m for Adekanje tribunal fee.

Hopefully Clyne and Mignolet will add to that as well. Milan are still interested in Lovren .

Wilson, Kent and Awoniyi could probably add to the funds as well. 

25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Arsenal have purportedly bid £40m for Zaha. No 1 pence? Anyway, Zaha’s brother doing his shithousery for him with this Sky interview.

He signed a new deal just last year. What an idiot.