Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 169 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

3 hours ago, moof said:

It’s not saying it how it is, it’s a distortion. Running the squad threadbare? We did alright last season for such a threadbare squad. Dear me

We got lucky with injuries last season and played the absolute bare minimum games in the domestic cups. We've got a minimum of 4 additional matches this season too. 

If any of the front 3, robbo or vvd had got an injury of the time Kane had for instance or de bruyne at city, we'd have massively struggled. Sturridge couldn't have played lots of games and despite his goals, we can see what klopp thinks of origi by the lack of minutes he gave him. The front 3 are away all summer, in fact the afcon doesn't finish till the day before our 3rd pre season friendly. You can be happy we got away with it last season and hope we put it right, starting by adding a genuine footballer to replace sturridge. Or you can go, it'll be alright we won a cup last season, so we'll probably do the same this year. Why get more players, let's cut the wage bill instead. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Agt Provocateur said:

I do.

We got lucky with Robbo last season. Can you imagine that Moreno bum having had to have played 10 games? Trent got a few bangs last season and it resulted in us having to play either a centre half (because that's what Gomez is) or a 34 year old midfielder at right back. 

Apart from another versatile forward, I think this is our most pressing need. I do not want to see Miner at full back and Gomez even less.  

My memory might be playing tricks with me, but the phase of the season we dropped the points with lots of draws was when Trent was out the team or finding his way back in after injury. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

My memory might be playing tricks with me, but the phase of the season we dropped the points with lots of draws was when Trent was out the team or finding his way back in after injury. 

Not playing tricks with you. Henderson was RB for Leicester at home and Milner away. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The criticism of the progress of the Anfield Road end is valid. They seem to keep putting it off for as long as possible.

That end of the ground is awful and they only have until September until outline planning permission runs out. The demand for tickets will be bigger than ever now that we are European Champions.  They said they would do it if we were in the Champions League for a couple of years running, we will be again next season after 2 finals in a row. 

If they have some secret masterplan to submit a new application with a bigger capacity then I would have no reason to criticise them. There just seems to be Everton levels of procrastination over something that would end up paying for itself.

I really don't get this attitude, its not FSG's money that would pay for the redevelopment, it would be the clubs or a bank loan for the club. No one would object to the club borrowing 100m to spend on improving the stadium. There wouldn't be internet terrorists bombarding banks. If increasing the Anfield Road end makes financial sense they will do it, if they have data that says it's doesn't then they won't. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So you're happy for the club to be put into debt against the banks to the tune of, what, a billion quid? Understood.

No, not at all. 

We don't need that, nothing near that. Just a small fraction of that ambition is required, but desperately lacking. 

41 minutes ago, Daisy said:

No, not at all. 

We don't need that, nothing near that. Just a small fraction of that ambition is required, but desperately lacking. 

We already had a big renovation at Anfield, outspent Spurs, beat them in the CL final, and massively outscored them in the league. Forgive me if I don’t share your envy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Agt Provocateur said:

There's no way the club loses out by expanding the Anfield Road End. Not a chance in hell. The season ticket waiting list would still stretch into the distance. 

It would appear that way to you and me but these guys wank off to spread sheets. If it was such a no brainer it would have happened already.

• Like 1

I'd assume it would be a question of whether a renovation would add more seats or give the current capacity adequate space and headroom. It's doubtful they'll be able to charge more regardless so without significant increase in seats, why would they?

They should, because the current setup is utter shite.  But I doubt there are many reasons to rush into it.

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

It would appear that way to you and me but these guys wank off to spread sheets. If it was such a no brainer it would have happened already.

I thought Tom Werner had already spelt this out. It would take too many years for FSG's liking to pay back (I think he said 17, it was certainly more than 15 - the main stands original business plan was 7 years I think), this was largely to do with being maxed on corporate already and the lack of appetite of fans to pay more for a ticket.

My personal opinion is they're sitting it out to see how it goes with the main stand. When they filled it full of corporate packages, they expected to fill it with corporate people. That didn't happen but such is the desperation for tickets, they have no issue selling corporate seats to regular punters on day trips. I guess that works for a period, I'm sure lots of people will do it once, but will they do it once per season? Or if fsg put 6k seats of regular priced tickets in the anfield road, would it undermine their ability to sell these main stand seats. 

It all comes down to money. My argument has always been they have only committed to one thing when they bought the club on the cheap, it was to solve the stadium situation and give us a 60k seater stadium. They paid 200-300m for the club, which is now getting valued towards 2bn. They've made their money, just sort the fucking stand out. 

I think it's propaganda by the club to keep the transfer prices down. If Klopp doesn't want anybody, i'm fine with that. If it's the owners that don't want to spend then they can get fucked.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree. I think for a backup left back Milner is perfectly fine, but I do think the club will do something else as well.

In terms of the Palace game, that was a complete defensive shit show on our part. Milner wasn't making positional mistakes or being caught out, things he could blamed for. He was left all alone with one of the best 1 on 1 players in world football through faulty defensive organisation.

On the surface, you can say he was exposed, but I don't think that game shows he isn't still fine for the role.

Anyway, all that to say, backup full back really isn't a big deal for me.

Full back isn't a big deal to you?  Did you watch us last season to see how many goals were created from full back?  They were integral to our attack. Can you imagine getting anywhere near that from Milner and Gomez? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Moo said:

Full back isn't a big deal to you?  Did you watch us last season to see how many goals were created from full back?  They were integral to our attack. Can you imagine getting anywhere near that from Milner and Gomez? 

No, our backup fullback spots aren't keeping me up at night. Sorry. 

4 hours ago, Boss said:

I think it's propaganda by the club to keep the transfer prices down. If Klopp doesn't want anybody, i'm fine with that. If it's the owners that don't want to spend then they can get fucked.

I don't understand anyone who doesn't think the team running recruitment haven't earned our trust by this point. They've hardly gotten a single decision wrong since Klopp came in.

If they tell me that all they want is a backup LB, a half-decent wide forward option, and a youngster or two, I'm fine with it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd believe they were keeping their powder dry to make a run at someone like Dembele or Mbappe next summer, that's how much trust I have in them.

Of course if we were talking about Gillett and Hicks, you'd suspect (you'd know!) that they were doing this to avoid investing in the club and you'd be right to be upset about the lack of investment. But if Edwards wants to tell me, say, that Pepe only takes our odds of winning the league next season from 30% to 32%, and he'd rather save the money up and buy Mbappe to take our odds from 30% to 40%, then at this point I think he's earned that right. (Obviously I've just completely made up those figures but you get what I mean.)

And of course, as you say, there's a very good chance it's all bollocks anyway and we're just trying to keep transfer prices down for the players we want, or trying to keep other clubs from finding out who we're buying.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We already had a big renovation at Anfield, outspent Spurs, beat them in the CL final, and massively outscored them in the league. Forgive me if I don’t share your envy. 

That was all great, but If we are to stay ahead of them next year then we will need to buy now. 

If we don't buy anyone this summer then there is absolutely no reason why they can't do anfield road. 

10 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm starting to get slightly worried now. 

Surely we're not going to do a Spurs here??? 

Surely............... 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

That was all great, but If we are to stay ahead of them next year then we will need to buy now. 

If we don't buy anyone this summer then there is absolutely no reason why they can't do anfield road. 

We can do both. Again, you’re prattling on about Spurs having more ambition but it’s nonsense. They built a stadium for football, NFL, and other events in London. Cool. Our fan base wanted to stay at Anfield. We did. Would I like to see is get a move on with Anny? Sure. But us not having done it yet doesn’t mean we have less ambition than Spurs. 

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Yes, if that’s the case I’m with you. It’s still June though.