Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 165 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Just now, Barry Wom said:

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job. 

Ornstein doesn’t know more than any other journalists with regards to us IMO. I follow him on Twitter too. I might have missed his tweets or posts in the past obviously, but he wouldn’t be my go to journalist if I was looking for inside information on Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

The plan is the same as it always is. Spend if we sell. As our main exists up to now are frees, there's no money to spend. If Salah was to go, we'd go and buy a couple of players. It's like last year, karius was deemed redeemable until we realised fekirs knee was made out of spaghetti and we still had a few quid to splash. 

I've had some pretty tough spaghetti over the years.

A reliable French journalist has claimed that Liverpool are in “concrete discussions” to beat their rivals to the signing of Lille attacker Nicolas Pepe.

Jurgen Klopp’s men are yet to make a summer signing this summer, after a busy 2018, although they are expected to complete a deal for teenage centre-back Sepp van den Berg over the next 48 hours.

Van den Berg is set to arrive in a £1.79m deal but the potential arrival of Pepe would be on a whole other level for the Reds, with Jurgen Klopp wanting the 24-year-old to compete with Sadio Mane and Mo Salah for the wide attacking positions at Anfield.

The highly-rated Lille star has been continually linked with a move to Merseyside, although Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan are also said to be in the running for the player’s signature.

Pepe, who currently on duty with Ivory Coast at the African Cup of Nations, is considered to be one of the most dynamic wide players in European football and is expected to cost in the region of €80million.

And according to RMC Sport’s Head of Football Mohamed Bouhafsi, he told Get French Football News that “there are very concrete discussions with Liverpool”.

He added that Klopp “adores” the player and that Pepe “brings a lot of speed and he is made to play in England, with quick transitions and an exceptional ability to counter-attack. Discussions have been had with Liverpool, who have a very profound interest”.

Bouhafsi is the same source that revealed Fabinho’s switch to Anfield last summer and it would appear that he can trusted.

Should the Reds sign Pepe then they would be getting a player who scored 23 goals in 41 appearances for Lille last season and who would the perfect fit to replace anyone of their famed from three of Mane, Salah and Roberto Firmino.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

We have Mane, Salah and Shaqiri to play on the right. It’d be idiotic to spend £70m on another right sided attacker.

If you watch the videos of him he can, and has, played across the front three.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

We have Mane, Salah and Shaqiri to play on the right. It’d be idiotic to spend £70m on another right sided attacker.

Salah plays up front and Pepe plays on the right. Simple. Or you could do the opposite. Pepe was quite good at striker when he played there during the 17-18 season and he's a fluid attacker who can pop up on any side or through the middle at any point during matches. 

Anyway, the club is going out of its way to deny this is happening, so this is probably moot. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Salah plays up front and Pepe plays on the right. Simple. Or you could do the opposite. Pepe was quite good at striker when he played there during the 17-18 season and he's a fluid attacker who can pop up on any side or through the middle at any point during matches. 

Anyway, the club is going out of its way to deny this is happening, so this is probably moot. 

Yes, I remember when the club went out of their way to say Alisson wasn't being pursued as well. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes, I remember when the club went out of their way to say Alisson wasn't being pursued as well. 

A day or two before he signed wasn’t it?

Pepe will be leaning by the weekend. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yeah, I don't think local journos know much about what's happening nowadays but outright dismissals of interest should probably be taken at face value.

With Alisson I think our interest was made known but the journos made it seem like what changed was that Roma became more lenient regarding the price. Anyway, we'll see. 

I didn't really understand the Nicolas Pepe rumours. We're well stocked in the left footed right sided forward position. What we need is a left sided forward who is right footed. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, moof said:

Love that Barry Wom disappears for months on end and then pops up when it’s time to stick the boot in to the owners. 

He has had other things on his mind mate. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

A day or two before he signed wasn’t it?

Pepe will be leaning by the weekend. 

Yep, I actually remember posting a couple of days before that there were too many stories about him for it to be constantly denied. Obviously lots of people called it bullshit but he signed a couple of days later. Sometimes there are just too many stories on players over the last couple of years for them to be dismissed out of hand. Keita, Alisson to name but two.

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

I didn't really understand the Nicolas Pepe rumours. We're well stocked in the left footed right sided forward position. What we need is a left sided forward who is right footed. 

We need a forward who has the qualities and profile to rotate with Salah or Mane without compromising our style. Whether that player is left or right footed doesn't make a difference if they can play multiple positions in front, which Pepe can do.

If you can name me some right footed, left sided players who are as good and productive as Pepe and fit our style just as well, then fair enough, but I don't think there are any that rival what he would bring. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job. 

He was spot on? Did the window close? 

I think it’s important that we take advantage of our standing and buy from a position of strength. We can’t afford to stand still.  

The most important thing for me is that the Manager is backed fully as there will be quite a few clubs who would happily take him off our hands. 

We must show ambition and progress. We must use this momentum. 

We have been in this position before and not capitalised, can’t do that again. 

• Upvote 3