Quantcast
Summer 2019 Transfer Thread - Page 164 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anubis

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Relying on Brewster to cover the front three, and on Gomez/Milner to cover Robertson, is a risky strategy. Of course it's a cheap strategy too, which is where the attraction lies.

It's not like the club have got fuck all money.  Most fans realise we don't need to spend 300m each season like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

We just need 2 or 3 players to fill the squad up. No way can we rely on the front 3 to play 60 games without injury or being fucked. The season before we made an 8m profit 

All those articles since the Champions League final are a bit smug about how good the club have been at transfers. 

We will still be here in 5 years time wondering when the Anfield Road end will be getting built. 

• Upvote 3

It's impossible to deny that we have an excellent young squad but these articles by the clubs mouthpieces are a bit cringey. You'd swear spending any money would be to the clubs detriment the way they're going on. Even if Klopp doesn't want to introduce any big money players to his settled side there's no excuse for not looking at the next batch of youngsters. That's what i imagine we'll see, a few of the top tier 16/17 year olds and a bargain if the opportunity arises. It's a shame because if we added one player capable of turning a game on his own we'd be even better than last year.

The narrative coming out of the club has been one of quiet summer for a long time. Yes I trust Klopp, no I will not be happy if we stand still having just won the European Cup. We didn't exactly shoot for the moon in the summer of 2005 either. 

I get that our squad is good, but it can be improved and unlike 2005 we have a lot of money to spend. If we don't sign at the very least full back cover and another forward, I am going to be really disappointed. I want to see Brewster get his chance in Carling Cup games, not coming in if/when we have injuries or fatigue kick in. I want a creative midfielder as well but I can understand that not being a priority.

With Salah and Mané at the African Cup of Jabronis and Firmino at the Copa, we are going to have another fragmented pre-season and those players won't be back in early July. Firmino has barely been fit since the end of April either and will likely have a longer pre-season than everyone else. We are inviting ourselves to be really short come the start of the season with this strategy. We made hardly any mistakes last season and still finished second. We don't have a margin for error where we can bring the front 3 off the bench as they ease their way back into competitive football.

I get signing another forward isn't easy but we need one. I get that a reserve full back sits behind the two best in the league if not Europe and in Robbo's case, if not the world. But we can't stand still. We are one of the most attractive propositions in the world at the moment with a manager everyone wants to play for. This should be the summer where we put our foot down. 

• Upvote 6

I think people are more concerned that the club will sit back when we are in the best position we have been in for 30 years. We need to take advantage of it.

• Upvote 5

I think we’ll buy. Plenty of time left yet. But we have to strengthen from a position of strength. 

Just now, Anubis said:

I think we’ll buy. Plenty of time left yet. But we have to strengthen from a position of strength. 

Yeah, agreed. It's just that we - as a fanbase - don't seem to learn; every season we get the criticism in early before we have a chance to buy somebody. Let's not shit the bed yet. 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's not like the club have got fuck all money.  Most fans realise we don't need to spend 300m each season like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

We just need 2 or 3 players to fill the squad up. No way can we rely on the front 3 to play 60 games without injury or being fucked. The season before we made an 8m profit 

All those articles since the Champions League final are a bit smug about how good the club have been at transfers. 

We will still be here in 5 years time wondering when the Anfield Road end will be getting built. 

We've got 50 matches next season if we don't win a cup match. 57 if we repeat this seasons performance in the cups, where we didn't win a domestic cup game. It's madness if we think we can get as lucky again, especially as our front 3 are playing right through the summer. People rubbished that ornstien fella off the BBC "what the fuck does he know the arsenal cunt" was the general theme. Except he was spot on and on it before all the propaganda began from all the jounro's around the club got onto this "the genius thing to do is nothing" routine. By the day there's another article that comes out to say we've been that clever we don't need anyone. The mad thing is they've got everyone on board and in many cases the same people who were into the the idea of the owners "doubling down" when the season finished. 

• Upvote 2

This great transfer strategy isn't gonna look too smart when we get a couple of overdue long term injuries to our front 3.

We've been lucky and got away with it for two years. Shouldn't risk it for a third year. 

• Upvote 1

Bouhafsi keeps saying we're interested in Pépé. I don't think we'll sign him but I'd be very surprised if our interest isn't real. I wouldn't believe someone as obviously perfect for us as him wouldn't at least interest us.

I imagine the vast majority of attacking players would be reluctant to join as they know that if our current front three are fit they have little chance of being a regular starter. 

Apparrently bookies odds on us buying Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon has dropped to about even money (1/9 or something). A player like him certainly ticks a lot of boxes. Creative midfielder to replace Cou, goal threat from outside the box, can fill in for our front 3. Age 24 is probably just young enough for us to invest in too.

Bonus. He's heavlily linked with a move to Salford. Would be nice to hijack that transfer

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

We've got 50 matches next season if we don't win a cup match. 57 if we repeat this seasons performance in the cups, where we didn't win a domestic cup game. It's madness if we think we can get as lucky again, especially as our front 3 are playing right through the summer. People rubbished that ornstien fella off the BBC "what the fuck does he know the arsenal cunt" was the general theme. Except he was spot on and on it before all the propaganda began from all the jounro's around the club got onto this "the genius thing to do is nothing" routine. By the day there's another article that comes out to say we've been that clever we don't need anyone. The mad thing is they've got everyone on board and in many cases the same people who were into the the idea of the owners "doubling down" when the season finished. 

Ornstein is a reliable journalist but mainly for Arsenal as opposed to us from what I’ve seen. I don’t remember him ever breaking any transfer news. Do you? You’ve probably confused him with Paul Joyce from The Times.

9 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Apparrently bookies odds on us buying Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon has dropped to about even money (1/9 or something).

How is that even money?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Bouhafsi keeps saying we're interested in Pépé. I don't think we'll sign him but I'd be very surprised if our interest isn't real. I wouldn't believe someone as obviously perfect for us as him wouldn't at least interest us.

As good as he looks as a footballer, we don’t need a right sided attacker.

1 minute ago, Agt Provocateur said:

Isn't this guy supposed to play across the front 3? 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/239872/Show/Nicolas-Pepe

Position Apps Goals Assists Rating
AMR (Attacking Midfielder Right) 34 18 11 7.55
MR (Midfielder Right) 3 4 0 8.98
FWR (Forward Right) 1 0 0 6.64
Sub (Substitute) 1 0 0 6.27

6 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Ornstein is a reliable journalist but mainly for Arsenal as opposed to us from what I’ve seen. I don’t remember him ever breaking any transfer news. Do you? You’ve probably confused him with Paul Joyce from The Times.

Ornstien came out on 5 live before the season was over and said we'd not spend more on a player than we did on Shaq last year and the club thought they only needed minor surgery. He got slated from all sides. Yet all the so called journos close to the club are just catching up now, but because there's nothing in a story saying we'll buy nobody, they're dressing it up in "the genius of buying nobody". I'm waiting for the "it worked for spurs story". 

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Ornstien came out on 5 live before the season was over and said we'd not spend more on a player than we did on Shaq last year and the club thought they only needed minor surgery. He got slated from all sides. Yet all the so called journos close to the club are just catching up now, but because there's nothing in a story saying we'll buy nobody, they're dressing it up in "the genius of buying nobody". I'm waiting for the "it worked for spurs story". 

I don’t think Ornstein is ITK mate. I wouldn’t stress it. Paul Joyce regularly breaks transfer stories wrt us. Follow him on Twitter, he’s as reliable as it gets at the moment IMO.

We have Mane, Salah and Shaqiri to play on the right. It’d be idiotic to spend £70m on another right sided attacker.

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I don’t think Ornstein is ITK mate. I wouldn’t stress it. Paul Joyce regularly breaks transfer stories wrt us. Follow him on Twitter, he’s as reliable as it gets at the moment IMO.

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job.