You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

And if Lallana doesn't want to get off the payroll?

Coutinho is unlikely to want to drop his wages either, so Barca will only have suitors who can cover them; that means teams who see him as a starter. The touted £80 -90m and big wages for cover - even if it is for multiple positions - just isn't our style. 

In an ideal world I'd take him back, but the scenario for it to happen just isn't there.

We should definitely strengthen whilst on top we fucked up last time when we were meant to get Snoogie Doggy.

We won't sign Coutinho back he's of a huge wage and would cost a fortune.  He'll end up at PSG, Chavs (next year) or possibly the Scum.

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

And if Lallana doesn't want to get off the payroll?

Coutinho is unlikely to want to drop his wages either, so Barca will only have suitors who can cover them; that means teams who see him as a starter. The touted £80 -90m and big wages for cover - even if it is for multiple positions - just isn't our style. 

In an ideal world I'd take him back, but the scenario for it to happen just isn't there.

Lallana has a year left on his contract, providing we don't price him out of a move by asking for 25/30m, of course he'll go somewhere else. He wants to get his England career back on track and it's a euros next summer. He won't do that playing about 500 minutes for us in a season. 

As for coutinho's wages, he was on roughly the same at Barca as he was here wasn't he? I don't see the issue in paying him. 

As for "it isn't our style". I completely agree. We spend when we sell, so unless we're selling, we won't do it. But we should do it (or someone else if there are better choices) and we should have the money - we got 20m of it from solanke on January. So if we can get maybe 10m for lallana, coutinho is going to cost you around 50/60m in reality. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Lallana has a year left on his contract, providing we don't price him out of a move by asking for 25/30m, of course he'll go somewhere else. He wants to get his England career back on track and it's a euros next summer. He won't do that playing about 500 minutes for us in a season. 

As for coutinho's wages, he was on roughly the same at Barca as he was here wasn't he? I don't see the issue in paying him. 

As for "it isn't our style". I completely agree. We spend when we sell, so unless we're selling, we won't do it. But we should do it (or someone else if there are better choices) and we should have the money - we got 20m of it from solanke on January. So if we can get maybe 10m for lallana, coutinho is going to cost you around 50/60m in reality. 

He was a starter for us though, and on about £200k, with a new contract to protect his value. 

He's now on £240k, and would be returning as cover. 

As Joe points out above, Lallana is unlikely to budge. He's at the biggest club with the best chance of silverware he'll ever get to. He's best mates with the Captain, and is only 12 months from a lucrative signing on fee when he does finally move.

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He was a starter for us though, and on about £200k, with a new contract to protect his value. 

He's now on £240k, and would be returning as cover. 

As Joe points out above, Lallana is unlikely to budge. He's at the biggest club with the best chance of silverware he'll ever get to. He's best mates with the Captain, and is only 12 months from a lucrative signing on fee when he does finally move.

I thought he was on the same 180k at Barca as he was here. But anyway. I'm sure there's a deal there somewhere, the lad wants out at Barca. They want rid. So there's 2 willing parties to begin with.

As for lallana. Maybe he will sit tight. I don't think he will though. I think he'll want to play a part in the euros next summer and he has no chance of that with us. He might go somewhere else and still not go the euros, but if he moves, he gives himself a chance. This could be his last tournament, he's 31 now and will be 34 by the time Qatar comes. 

As for coutinho coming in as "cover". He'd play the role he did in the half season before he left for me. Sometimes in the front 3 and sometimes in midfield. But a regular in the side regardless, he wouldn't be cover. He might not have a position on the pitch to call his own, but that was his best 4 months of football in his career, he should be biting our hands off to do it again and if we had any sense, we'd be doing all we could to make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is 12 months away from being a 32 year old who averages a dozen games a year and hasn't scored a goal during that time.

Not sure there are big signing fees in the MLS

He'll make more from a signing on fee as a 32 year old than he would get weekly wages this summer. Like Sturridge, he'll spend his last year largely not playing, and in doing so not being injured.

Where has this idea that Coutinho is making the same per week at Barca than when he was here come from? No way that's true. I'm sure it would be great for the dressing room if he came back here as our highest paid player after he faked an injury and made up conflicts with Klopp so he could escape. 

Real seem to be open to selling Asensio and Isco this summer. That has the potential to end up like the summer they sold Robben and Sneijder. You wouldn't think a year or two ago it was even in the realms of possibility to get those players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

Real seem to be open to selling Asensio and Isco this summer. That has the potential to end up like the summer they sold Robben and Sneijder. You wouldn't think a year or two ago it was even in the realms of possibility to get those players.

Real will need to sell a shit load of players.  Some good players will be available.

59 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Where has this idea that Coutinho is making the same per week at Barca than when he was here come from? No way that's true. I'm sure it would be great for the dressing room if he came back here as our highest paid player after he faked an injury and made up conflicts with Klopp so he could escape. 

51 minutes ago, Boss said:

He did pay millions out of his own pocket to move there. I can imagine that's true.

I thought it was pretty well publicised at the time he was moving on like for like money. I do remember something about what you mention here about him paying something himself to make the move happen, but I really can't remember what that was. Was it give up on some bonus he was entitled to or something?

3 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

With us looking to start a lucrative new deal with Nike next season i wouldn't expect us to do anything major until then. I reckon we spend what we make, wage bill is massive and Klopp seems happy with the squad.

Moreno and Sturridge have gone, we could potentially bring in close to £100 million from the sales of Ings,Lovren, Wilson, Grujic and a few others. 

We need to bring in at least 2 or 3 players this year if we want to have a similar season to last season.

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Re Coutinho - He was our highest paid player when he was here - I think 180 is right. He is on 200 there.

The caveat being it is way easier to dodge taxes there.

And get busted by the Spanish feds a year later.

Coutinho’s won a few medals that most Barcelona fans would say were achieved despite rather than because of him. He also missed out on the biggest club trophy of all this season. 

I could see a footballing argument for bringing him back but I reckon Jurgen wouldn’t go near him.

Given the money involved, he’s PSG/China fodder at this stage I reckon, unless Man City saw him as a replacement for Silva and a way to get back at us for that stray Koppaberg bottle that hit their coach and traumatised their players and staff. 

Just tell Lallana he’ll be getting his playing time in the reserves, and won’t be part of the CL squad we name, so there’ll be no silverware or medals on the table. If he still wants to sit it out then fair enough, just keep him out of the match day and Cup squads and he can collect his pay and fuck off. But any chance of the Euros will be well and truly gone and his twilight days will be in the Championship.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Just tell Lallana he’ll be getting his playing time in the reserves, and won’t be part of the CL squad we name, so there’ll be no silverware or medals on the table. If he still wants to sit it out then fair enough, just keep him out of the match day and Cup squads and he can collect his pay and fuck off. But any chance of the Euros will be well and truly gone and his twilight days will be in the Championship.

Is right.  If he doesn't get the hint don't register him in the league.

26 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I can understand people being against bringing Coutinho back because of his shit housery but lets not pretend he's not a brilliant player.  It's Evertonian behaviour. 

We are the only club where he has played well, and we have actually started playing better since he left.

If he came back here where would he actually play?  4-3-3 suits us, and I don't think he'd improve our front three, or midfield three, so he'd only be a backup player. 

He was brilliant for us in spells, but he was never Salah, Mane, Suarez, Gerrard etc level brilliant. Selling him was the best player sale we've ever made. If he was THAT good he'd have proven himself at Barcelona.