You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Doesn't he count as a depreciating asset against club value?

Meaning once all the original contracts expire they become non cost assets and bolster the clubs value? It’s a pretend ‘he’s worth this much’ nonsense which gives footballs false economy and it’s, er, false economy.

So if they have 50 ‘players’ on their books with a potential value of x the club can count that as club has x value. The wages count as operational running costs and are therefore tax deductible.

Financial smoke and mirrors, human trafficking and its bullshit that any other industry would, rightly, be cracked down on.

So wise 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Doesn't he count as a depreciating asset against club value?

Meaning once all the original contracts expire they become non cost assets and bolster the clubs value? It’s a pretend ‘he’s worth this much’ nonsense which gives footballs false economy and it’s, er, false economy.

So if they have 50 ‘players’ on their books with a potential value of x the club can count that as club has x value. The wages count as operational running costs and are therefore tax deductible.

Financial smoke and mirrors, human trafficking and its bullshit that any other industry would, rightly, be cracked down on.

Football isn't like any other industry though, I suppose. I mean, the whole idea of loaning employees to rival companies is a bit weird in the first place. Imagine HSBC loaning a bank manager to NatWest, ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Still concerned about how any injuries to any of our front 3 will affect us, yes.

In respect of whether we beat City to the league I am 100% with you.

In respect of us dropping down the league and having let the likes of the above catch up on us, not so much.

22 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

In respect of whether we beat City to the league I am 100% with you.

In respect of us dropping down the league and having let the likes of the above catch up on us, not so much.

Yeah fair point. Its easy to conflate the two, but at the very least we'll be comfortably second again.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:26, BeefStroganoff said:

I think the Owners and the Club have been very smart in one area...and thats the media.

They have systematically over time diluted strong opinion. The Echo, which was once (a while back mind) a decent local source of independent opinion, is now firmly controlled by the Club. Every article this summer has been about how clever the Club is, why spending isn't necessary, why no one should worry and why the rest of Europe are running scared. And it starts as soon as it needs to, to placate the masses. Then you've got the national journos of sorts, Reddy, Joyce, and now Pearce, carefully controlling and publishing the right article at the right time, towing the line to keep the access they need to do their jobs.

The biggest change however, and one move that I really do have to doff my hat to them for is with local amateur media, specifically touted independent opinion on all things LFC - The Anfield Wrap, Redmen TV etc. They have made sure that as these mini hobbies have grown into business ventures, their independent thought has become less and less. These 'fan' platforms have become money makers and been given access to the players and manager, no doubt in return for keeping things light so to speak. Once you are in bed you will tow the line or lose your privileges. In fact the Anfield Wrap is very tame to what it once was a few years back, as its grown in popularity they have adjusted their output for broad consumption. Both themselves and Redmen are now publishing books. The core meaning and soul of why they started has long since vanished and why I won't subscribe any more.

So what does this mean? It means that theres not much of a dissenting voice, theres not much disagreement with what happens at the Club. Yeah you've got here at the TLW, and you get the comments section of the Echo and few dissenters on Twitter, but nothing that really scratches the surface.

I think from now on, if anything goes tits up from the owners you will barely get a whimper. The trademark issue for example, only a handful of fan names spoke up about it, the rest where very quiet. pretty sad really.

Interesting going back to this good post by BeefStroganoff, recently on RAWK of one of the more dissenting/critical of the club voices on the Anfield Wrap, Mike Nevin, indicated that he'd been eased out and doesn't fit as part of the "echo chamber".

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=279444.msg16856142#msg16856142

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is sancho really that good or is it a case of the story of a young lad going abroad and doing well rather than clinging to the prem elevating his real level.

When you watch him, he looks like he has the talent and also the arrogance/confidence you need to be a great player, but I don't think he would fit our style of play as it is right now. He seems like a wide playmaker, not a forward, which is fine, but we'd have to change formation/tactics. 

If we were to pay 100m+ it's for potential because he doesn't score enough goals, currently. Just on the base goal and assist stats he's been very similar to Ousmane Dembele. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

When you watch him, he looks like he has the talent and also the arrogance/confidence you need to be a great player, but I don't think he would fit our style of play as it is right now. He seems like a wide playmaker, not a forward, which is fine, but we'd have to change formation/tactics. 

If we were to pay 100m+ it's for potential because he doesn't score enough goals, currently. Just on the base goal and assist stats he's been very similar to Ousmane Dembele. 

Sounds like a description of Salah pre Liverpool.

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is sancho really that good or is it a case of the story of a young lad going abroad and doing well rather than clinging to the prem elevating his real level.

Hate to say it but that Hudson-Odoi lad at Chelsea looks a better player than  Sancho, at leasy when I've seen them play.