You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Martin Skrtel left Turkish side Fenerbahce at the end of last season.

He joined Italian Champions League side Atalanta on a free transfer in the summer...

...but after just ONE game, has had his contract terminated at the club.

It was a heartfelt statement from the Serie A side which read, in full: "Atalanta announces that it has consensually terminated the contract with Martin Skrtel."

b7085c71-acb1-4d4b-864d-6be4a6313771.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He joined Italian Champions League side Atalanta on a free transfer in the summer...

It was a heartfelt statement from the Serie A side which read, in full: "Atalanta announces that it has consensually terminated the contract with Martin Skrtel."

That'll be because they let me down on my acca last night. Fair play to them. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is he going for the Simon out of The Inbetweeners look?

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

If the lad genuinely did have mental health problems the last thing I’d be advising him to do is move to another country where he doesn’t presumably know the language, will be living alone, away from friends and family and with no support network.  

Yup,  I know Holloway gets a lot of shit on here but once blocked Caulker from moving abroad,  Turkey I think, cause he knew the lad would be fucked over there on his own. 

Think the Duncan sale shows good DOF work from Edwards in 2 respects:

1 - obviously, it ends the saga and the distraction

2 - he's not a terrible player, he did score 30 goals for our youth sides last season, so a 20% sell-on could eventually benefit us with another few million. I could easily see him scoring a few over there and then when he's 21 someone in England wants to take a chance on him for 10m.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Bobby Duncan is a slight downgrade from Gabriel Batistuta I reckon.

Maybe take it to the Amnesty thread

Aren’t Fabio Borini and Suso shambling around for Milan too? I think even Paletta had a few big contracts over there. 

It’s effectively the Scottish league these days with a better resourced Celtic. 

7 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

What if Duncan doesn’t play regularly for Fiorentina? I know it’s a poor team in a fairly average league, but I can’t imagine it’s guaranteed. On past form, he'll be angling for a move again next summer, and it’s not hard to imagine that next time the takers are more likely to be at League One / Two level.

Isn’t that the cunning plan of his agent and whoever else is pulling the strings you reckon? Every time he changes club the parasites feed off it I presume, same apolies to the player as well probably.

17 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

If the lad genuinely did have mental health problems the last thing I’d be advising him to do is move to another country where he doesn’t presumably know the language, will be living alone, away from friends and family and with no support network.  

Yeah it didn't work out too well for Gazza 

Saw a story this morning about how Chelsea have sent Lucas Piazon on loan yet again after the player signed a contract extention. He joined Chelsea EIGHT years ago and has only made 3 first-team appearances for them in all that time. This loan spell at Rio Ave is the player's SEVENTH loan spell, and he is now in his mid-20s. Why are Chelsea still keeping him around when it's clear they'll never find room for him in their squad? They do this with so many of their players too. It's why I suggested a while back that there should be a limit to the number of times a club can send a player out on loan. There needs to be some sort of measure in place to prevent clubs from stock-piling players.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Saw a story this morning about how Chelsea have sent Lucas Piazon on loan yet again after the player signed a contract extention. He joined Chelsea EIGHT years ago and has only made 3 first-team appearances for them in all that time. This loan spell at Rio Ave is the player's SEVENTH loan spell, and he is now in his mid-20s. Why are Chelsea still keeping him around when it's clear they'll never find room for him in their squad? They do this with so many of their players too. It's why I suggested a while back that there should be a limit to the number of times a club can send a player out on loan. There needs to be some sort of measure in place to prevent clubs from stock-piling players.

That's dodgy as fuck.

6 hours ago, Trumo said:

I reckon Abramovich likes recalling him from his loan every time he boots up a new game on Football Manager. 

7 hours ago, Trumo said:

Doesn't he count as a depreciating asset against club value?

Meaning once all the original contracts expire they become non cost assets and bolster the clubs value? It’s a pretend ‘he’s worth this much’ nonsense which gives footballs false economy and it’s, er, false economy.

So if they have 50 ‘players’ on their books with a potential value of x the club can count that as club has x value. The wages count as operational running costs and are therefore tax deductible.

Financial smoke and mirrors, human trafficking and its bullshit that any other industry would, rightly, be cracked down on.

• Upvote 1