You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

26 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He’s some random fella from Dubai who is somehow a football agent.  It’s not hard to put two and two together.  He’s been dishing bigoted small minded tweets for years with some being recently.  Money or his “brand” is definitely not a problem for him.  He’s probably been told to delete them tweets by whoever is backing him but he’s achieved what he was after regardless which is some notoriety.

True- but if you were a player looking for an agent, why on earth would you choose him? He's not going to 'win' with Duncan, and has made himself look stupid, unprofessional and petulant to boot.

It won’t do him any harm in Dubai or the like, sure, but in the UK for better or worse cancel culture is alive and well. Thinking he’ll do better over here for it is a severe misreading of where this stuff is heading imo.

Five years ago maybe the controversy angle gets you a few lucrative gigs, nowadays you’re toast. That’s for television and your profile raising generally. Agent specific who knows, you can obviously be a despicable cunt and be employed, but usually this sort of stuff hasn’t gone under the microscope so widely.

Irrespective of semantics as to who decided to pull his Twatter account, it’s been done for one reason only and it isn’t Rafa style hand-rubbing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

It won’t do him any harm in Dubai or the like, sure, but in the UK for better or worse cancel culture is alive and well. Thinking he’ll do better over here for it is a severe misreading of where this stuff is heading imo.

Five years ago maybe the controversy angle gets you a few lucrative gigs, nowadays you’re toast. That’s for television and your profile raising generally. Agent specific who knows, you can obviously be a despicable cunt and be employed, but usually this sort of stuff hasn’t gone under the microscope so widely.

Irrespective of semantics as to who decided to pull his Twatter account, it’s been done for one reason only and it isn’t Rafa style hand-rubbing.

Think this pretty well nails it.

In the end the question of whether this whole episode helps or hurts his future career will come down to young footballers. If he can find a few 16-20 year old footballers who think "yeah, that's the guy who really had Bobby Duncan's back in that whole Liverpool saga," then he might stay in the business.

My money is on this basically ending his career, though. As The Guest notes, he's gotten some notoriety and far more people know who he is than 2 days ago. However, any footballer with choices will be watching what happens to Duncan over the next few years and unless he magically makes a move to Stoke or something, does well and ends up in the England squad in the next 5 years, they're going to see how awful it was for him. Plus he'll be locked out of probably 75% of clubs who will refuse to deal with this agent under any circumstances.

Even teenaged footballers aren't dumb enough to want this for themselves.

On 13/08/2019 at 13:44, TheHowieLama said:

I think he genuinely rates Hoever and Larouci as better options for our system then either Clyne or Moreno.

Considering he sees them play everyday I will take his word for it.

We should have better cover at LB in my opinion. That however doesnt mean we should replace Moreno. Replacing something that was useless in the first place doesnt make sense.

I think it’s naive to take the side of the club without knowing the facts. I imagine LFC has a very expensive PR department and a young lad does not.

I am aware of agents influence  on the game but to assume they are the bad guys seems a bit black and white thinking.

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I think it’s naive to take the side of the club without knowing the facts. I imagine LFC has a very expensive PR department and a young lad does not.

I am aware of agents influence  on the game but to assume they are the bad guys seems a bit black and white thinking.

The clubs PR said nothing you chump, his agent said everything.

We’re ok with that, right?

I'm assuming you want people to call you an idiot, idiot.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The clubs PR said nothing you chump, his agent said everything.

We’re ok with that, right?

I'm assuming you want people to call you an idiot, idiot.

Haha gosh, such strong words.

the clubs PR have responded, which is fair enough obviously. The agents tweet is massively not advisable and I’m sure he’s a a dick, but just because Edwards is employed by LFC doesn’t mean he hasn’t been a bit of a twat. It’s his job to defend the club. 7k a week is a lot to you and me ( I assume) but it’s relative, and if someone tripled it and said live in Florence I’d be up

for that too. 

Blind support of the club is not advised is all I’m saying. If we have caused psychological harm to a young man I don’t think we should go on the attack. But it’s now becoming a witch hunt, not cool

edit- yes I am naive and a ‘bleeding heart liberal,’ and yes i work in mental health, but  i know money doesn’t make ya happy 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Blind support of the club is not advised is all I’m saying. If we have caused psychological harm to a young man I don’t think we should go on the attack. But it’s now becoming a witch hunt, not cool

edit- yes I am naive and a ‘bleeding heart liberal,’ and yes i work in mental health, but  i know money doesn’t make ya happy 

Do you stay awake all night worrying how much your sleep may affect the world?

56 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Can you post Lifey your qualifications before you make that claim pal? 

giphy.gif

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

This agent is 100% one of the bad guys, mate.

I can easily see an argument that the club might be in the wrong in this situation, or at least partly in the wrong, but even so, this particular agent is an obvious chancer. He had to ask twitter to clarify what a "loan with obligation to buy" was just a few days ago. He has multiple postings of completely unprofessional behaviour on public forums. He's pretty much impossible to defend.

So yeah, you can say that Edwards and Inglethorpe might have, behind closed doors, promised Duncan more than they could deliver in terms of a pathway to the first team. What you can't argue is that his agent hasn't then substantially damaged his career prospects by throwing a public temper tantrum about it instead of handling it internally.