You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Just on Coutinho, was there ever a precedent at Dortmund of Klopp taking a prodigal son back? I think he was gone with Gotze came back in.

Leaving money aside, for a man big on team values, I could see why Klopp might have been reluctant to have anything to do with him again.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Just on Coutinho, was there ever a precedent at Dortmund of Klopp taking a prodigal son back? I think he was gone with Gotze came back in.

Leaving money aside, for a man big on team values, I could see why Klopp might have been reluctant to have anything to do with him again.

Especially if it was a one off, season loan - difficult to be part of that group dynamic under those circumstances. And can't really leave the money part out -- would be exceedingly difficult to have the most expensive player on the team a rental.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, the fee was 25mil pounds for one season, loan and wages. Ridiculous for a player that would probably be an option from the bench more often than not.

Disagree though -- they were hoping to get a couple of clubs interested and certainly thought an English club would come in. Once the window closed there options became very limited and it was a fire sale as there was no way back for him or them at that point.

I'm sure the fire sale could have happened on 8th August. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

He took kagawa back and the lad who went to us for a bit, sahin. And I think he wanted to bring gotze to Liverpool didn't he and we got mane instead because gotze wouldn't join without CL football? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

He took kagawa back and the lad who went to us for a bit, sahin. And I think he wanted to bring gotze to Liverpool didn't he and we got mane instead because gotze wouldn't join without CL football? 

They were all his played though. Coutinho wasn't. 

Coutinho has a 120m buy option which no one will exercise because it's a ridiculous amount. In essence, it's a straight up loan which Klopp would never have gone for because it's not a coherent long term decision.

Even if people want to do the "we're broke" argument, we still wouldn't have done it even if it had made financial sense.

36 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Klopp's own words are "as weird as it sounds, we could not afford him"

The reason he adds 'as weird as it sounds' is because he fucking knows it sounds absolutely ludicrous to suggest we couldn't afford him or another major signing. 

I think he just means that we have a financial model for transfers and spending £20m or so for a nine month loan doesn’t fit into it.  

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Klopp's own words are "as weird as it sounds, we could not afford him"

The reason he adds 'as weird as it sounds' is because he fucking knows it sounds absolutely ludicrous to suggest we couldn't afford him or another major signing. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Where?

“It sounds a bit strange, but we could not afford it, we have already spent the cash that we got for him,” Klopp told Goal.

The German also revealed that he did not want to sell Coutinho 19 months ago but Barca’s offer proved too good to turn down.

“We were reluctant to hand him over, but Barcelona forced us with money, so to speak,” he added.

“The move makes sense for both sides. He’s a super player and a great boy. He is a world-class footballer who can change games in the right environment.”