You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

A Bolton fan I worked with went to see them play sporting Lisbon in the UEFA cup ages ago. The manager played a second string in the game and they got knocked out. Despite quite a few thousand of them going over and having the time of their lives. 

The club's mentality was that they should get knocked out to concentrate on their league position. Finish high enough to concentrate on 7th which would have been good enough to qualify for the UEFA cup again. Bizarre attitude and I bet their fans wish they had the chance to do that these days the state the club is in.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

A Bolton fan I worked with went to see them play sporting Lisbon in the UEFA cup ages ago. The manager played a second string in the game and they got knocked out. Despite quite a few thousand of them going over and having the time of their lives. 

The club's mentality was that they should get knocked out to concentrate on their league position. Finish high enough to concentrate on 7th which would have been good enough to qualify for the UEFA cup again. Bizarre attitude and I bet their fans wish they had the chance to do that these days the state the club is in.

We did this under Rodgers when we threw the game at the Bernabéu to concentrate on qualifying for the CL. Infuriating mentality. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

klopp only said the other week that the big priced players he spoke to in the summer asked him when they would get a game and he said he had to be honest and tell them when the players in your position get injured or sold and the conversations were over. 

Where was this then?

Really cannot see Klopp saying anything like that to a world class player.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

City signed Rodri for big money because Fernandinho is 34 years old. Cancelo, they didn't really need but they basically traded him for Danilo.

If one of our most important players was 34, we'd have signed someone guaranteed. 

They signed a top 5 right back in the world to deputise for another top 5 right back. 

Considering Klopp signed Mane and Salah whilst he had Coutinho (and Firmino) at the club I’m not sure I buy the “he wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter” argument.

Still I do think we’d be aiming more for spending cash on a younger more long term option to the front three and couldn’t find one for what we thought was good value.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The number of Everton fans who were trying to belittle the super cup. They don't even know what a fucking trophy looks like! 

Rant over. 

Fake news. They’ve 30 gleaming Liverpool Didn’t Win The League trophies in their cabinet. 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Even though we ultimately lost the final, going to Wembley to beat Everton in the semi final a few years ago is one of my favourite match-going memories. 

I know I know - it's extra games, there's no financial reward, probably negatively affects any progress in the league and European Cup. Maybe it's just my age, but I still regard the FA cup highly. 

I am desperate for us to win the league and I am happy for us to use all the fine margins we can get to manage it. If that means giving up on cups, while that goes against everything this club is built on, I can live with it. The idea we've got a stash of cash after 2 big seasons and our aims is to reduce the wage bill because odds are city will win it anyway. Well what's the fucking point? We take the fine margins that are free, but seem unwilling to invest in other fine margins.  I'd take an fa cup over 2nd in the league any day. 

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, that reads a little like Klopp trying to deflect from not buying anyone.

Cancelo is the most expensive RB in the world - pretty sure Guardiola did not mention anything about Walker needing to get injured.

Perhaps paying a world class salary regardless of them getting a game or not makes a difference. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I see it's been announced the loan fee for coutinho was only €8.3m, with them paying all his wages and an option to buy at €120m. Can't believe we weren't in at that price. 

I dont think we were offered that deal

The deal supposedly to us would have cost us 25mil for one season.

Wooly did a good breakdown of what each player costs us in true terms and that would have been about 20% higher for the year than we are into Van Dijk for.

And that had no purchase option - even if it did we aren't going to pay 110 mil sterling for anyone.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I dont think we were offered that deal

The deal supposedly to us would have cost us 25mil for one season.

Wooly did a good breakdown of what each player costs us in true terms and that would have been about 20% higher for the year than we are into Van Dijk for.

And that had no purchase option - even if it did we aren't going to pay 110 mil sterling for anyone.

I'm sure that offer would have been available to us had we tried, ultimately it's a price Barca were prepared to acceot. Maybe the 25m was wages too? I was told some time ago (maybe a month or 6 weeks ago) by the same fella who told me last autumn we on a wage reduction summer, that we were initially offered coutinho for 30m euros for 2 seasons. That was Barca's starting point.

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm sure that offer would have been available to us had we tried, ultimately it's a price Barca were prepared to acceot. Maybe the 25m was wages too? I was told some time ago (maybe a month or 6 weeks ago) by the same fella who told me last autumn we on a wage reduction summer, that we were initially offered coutinho for 30m euros for 2 seasons. That was Barca's starting point.

Yea, the fee was 25mil pounds for one season, loan and wages. Ridiculous for a player that would probably be an option from the bench more often than not.

Disagree though -- they were hoping to get a couple of clubs interested and certainly thought an English club would come in. Once the window closed there options became very limited and it was a fire sale as there was no way back for him or them at that point.