You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

14 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Coutinho would’ve represented as close to a guaranteed success as we could get. That also would have meant that in a few hours time we could line up with Coutinho, Mane, and Bobby and give Salah a rest after playing the full 120 minutes on Wednesday.

Yeah. No. 

More like weren't stupid enough to pay £30 million for a year's loan for a player who acted like a cunt to get away from us then found out the grass wasn't actually greener on the other side.

I actually hope it goes well for him over there (unless we draw them somewhere along the line), but after the shit way the wonderful Barca fans have treated him, you just know what he would have been thinking when we handed them their arses in the CL semi 2nd leg, then won the CL itself and the Super Cup.

Nobody will ever need to spell it out to him - he knows he fucked up huge time.

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Coutinho would’ve represented as close to a guaranteed success as we could get. That also would have meant that in a few hours time we could line up with Coutinho, Mane, and Bobby and give Salah a rest after playing the full 120 minutes on Wednesday.

Bayern are reported to be paying Barca €20m for the year loan and covering his £200k a week wages.

There is no fucking way we'd pay the loan fee, let alone the wages for someone who's not a guaranteed starter.

People also forgetting what he did to get the move. Do you honestly think Klopp would want him back?

The issue that most of us have with selling Coutinho in the first place is that he wasn't and still hasn't been replaced.

Amazed Klopp didn't try to sign Pulisic. He looks a fantastic talent. Even at the £58m that Chelsea paid.

1 hour ago, viRdjil said:

We couldn’t afford a loan? Yeah right. 

As others have explained, it's a £30 million plus outlay for a player for just one season of service.

Do you get off at being this constantly obtuse?

22 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Bayern are reported to be paying Barca €20m for the year loan and covering his £200k a week wages.

There is no fucking way we'd pay the loan fee, let alone the wages for someone who's not a guaranteed starter.

People also forgetting what he did to get the move. Do you honestly think Klopp would want him back?

The issue that most of us have with selling Coutinho in the first place is that he wasn't replaced.

If Coutinho joined us then none of the front three would be a guaranteed starter (not unlike Man City), and that’s the situation we’d like to be in, no?

He'll be like James Rodriguez for them. Initially a regular starter showing the occasional flash of the brilliance that first made him a star, before appearances become more sporadic and Bayern decide not to take up the option of a permanent deal. Bayern usually have more success when buying the best players from other Bundesliga teams.

47 minutes ago, Trumo said:

He'll be like James Rodriguez for them. Initially a regular starter showing the occasional flash of the brilliance that first made him a star, before appearances become more sporadic and Bayern decide not to take up the option of a permanent deal. Bayern usually have more success when buying the best players from other Bundesliga teams.

Or like Robben/Ribery

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

The issue that most of us have with selling Coutinho in the first place is that he wasn't and still hasn't been replaced.

Amazed Klopp didn't try to sign Pulisic. He looks a fantastic talent. Even at the £58m that Chelsea paid.

I don't understand this "not a guaranteed starter" stuff. Our forwards have played all summer. We'll play likely 60 matches this season, we're a guaranteed 50 even if we don't win 1 a cup match. It's like we've been brainwashed to the idea we aren't allowed to rotate. If we play 60 matches this season, it would mean the front three plus any player we'd added (let's say coutinho) could have 45 starts each and that's not considering when coutinho would start in midfield, so they'd probably still get 50 starts each. 

We saw last season we often had 2 or 3 big matches in 7 or 8 days, the idea we could spread that load around 4 top class players is surely a good thing? 

20m and 200k a week? When we've got sturridge and Moreno off the wage bill. Sold Ming, Camacho, Ings and I'm sure some others I've forgotten, plus loan fees for gruic and others. We sold solanke in January. On top of this we made 100m last year and I would imagine after a CL win and improved sponsorship deals on the shirt, training shirt and arm of the shirt since, we've managed a similar sort of profit. Money shouldn't have been an issue here, yet we've been brainwashed into thinking it is. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't understand this "not a guaranteed starter" stuff. Our forwards have played all summer. We'll play likely 60 matches this season, we're a guaranteed 50 even if we don't win 1 a cup match. It's like we've been brainwashed to the idea we aren't allowed to rotate. If we play 60 matches this season, it would mean the front three plus any player we'd added (let's say coutinho) could have 45 starts each and that's not considering when coutinho would start in midfield, so they'd probably still get 50 starts each. 

We saw last season we often had 2 or 3 matches in 7 or 8 days, the idea we could spread that load around 4 too class players is surely a good thing? 

20m and 200k a week? When we've got sturridge and Moreno off the wage bill. Sold Ming, Camacho, Ings and I'm sure some others I've forgotten, plus loan fees for gruic and others. We sold solanke in January. On top of this we made 100m last year and I would imagine after a CL win and improved sponsorship deals on the shirt, training shirt and arm of the shirt since, we've managed a similar sort of profit. Money shouldn't have been an issue here, yet we've been brainwashed into thinking it is. 

Plus, rather than buy an extra forward the club have allegedly told Klopp that he should give up on the League and FA Cup to concentrate on the other competitions that would make more money. 

And buying any player for the front 3 cover would stop our youth players coming through.

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

and 200k a week? When we've got sturridge and Moreno off the wage bill. Sold Ming, Camacho, Ings and I'm sure some others I've forgotten, plus loan fees for gruic and others. We sold solanke in January. On top of this we made 100m last year and I would imagine after a CL win and improved sponsorship deals on the shirt, training shirt and arm of the shirt since, we've managed a similar sort of profit. Money shouldn't have been an issue here, yet we've been brainwashed into thinking it is. 

Bringing back Coutinho in the summer was high on my wishlist but then I remembered about FSG and made my peace with it. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Plus, rather than buy an extra forward the club have allegedly told Klopp that he should give up on the League and FA Cup to concentrate on the other competitions that would make more money. 

And buying any player for the front 3 cover would stop our youth players coming through.

Well looking at how we've approached the domestic cups since Kenny was sacked, I would suggest that's been a policy for some time now. We've not got out of January in the fa cup since klopp arrived. 

As for stopping players coming through? Are we talking about Brewster here? Frankly I don't give a fuck. I want to win the league. We're supposed to be wanting to win the league, not just keeping some kid happy who's never kicked a ball in anger at senior level. Brewster might be a good player. He might be shite too, there's no evidence either way on him right now. 

It’s all on Klopp why we don’t bother with the domestic cups. Remember Conte’s first season at Chelsea and they hardly seemed to play a game. Klopp said he  spoke to him and he said he abandoned the cups so he could concentrate solely on the prem. We seemed to have a game every other day over that Xmas period and klopp said he’d take that on board.

On the none signings of new players, klopp only said the other week that the big priced players he spoke to in the summer asked him when they would get a game and he said he had to be honest and tell them when the players in your position get injured or sold and the conversations were over. 

Even though we ultimately lost the final, going to Wembley to beat Everton in the semi final a few years ago is one of my favourite match-going memories. 

I know I know - it's extra games, there's no financial reward, probably negatively affects any progress in the league and European Cup. Maybe it's just my age, but I still regard the FA cup highly. 

There seems to be a weird snobbery against most trophies by modern fans - league cup is shit, fa cup is shit, charity shield is shit, European super cup is shit, uefa cup is shit. Ironically most of these fans support teams who are never in with a chance of winning any of these trophies, never mind the league or European cup. 

The number of Everton fans who were trying to belittle the super cup. They don't even know what a fucking trophy looks like! 

Rant over. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool are not winning the league this year. The only way that is happening is if City capitulate, and I can't see them doing that.

If Klopp manages to win the league on merit, then frankly he has to go down as one of the greatest managers of all time. But I think thats stretching it. You can see from the Club's business this year where the ambition lies. City spent 120 million on two new faces to freshen things up for the first team, we did nothing.

Why did we do nothing? You can argue Jurgen likes a small squad, you can argue that we retained our best players, even though if you think thats a success for Liverpool well then we can't be thought that highly enough in World Football. You can argue we are saving ourselves next year, but me? I think the Club believes they can't bridge the gap without significant spend and the owners are not prepared to do that.

As for the squad and Klopps happiness with it we will see wheres he's at today. So far this season, Shaqiri, Lallana and Brewster haven't featured, Keita is injured. I would expect Jurgen to ring some changes today off the back of Wednesday, but if we don't see any of those three featured then I guess that tells you what he thinks of them as rotation options because frankly some of those first team players look out on their feet to me.

Last year Jurgen didn't rotate too much, he basically plays his core set of players and only rotates into the starting line up if absolutely necessary which tells you he doesn't feel he has the quality in reserve.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

There seems to be a weird snobbery against most trophies by modern fans - league cup is shit, fa cup is shit, charity shield is shit, European super cup is shit, uefa cup is shit. Ironically most of these fans support teams who are never in with a chance of winning any of these trophies, never mind the league or European cup. 

The number of Everton fans who were trying to belittle the super cup. They don't even know what a fucking trophy looks like! 

Rant over. 

Its the modern game mate and the approach is fuelled by the Clubs too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1