You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

The general points you make that Klopp has things foisted upon him, is a reactive manager and didn't plan our success.

He is reactive? He drops targets all the time and moves on to completely different style players. 

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The general points you make that Klopp has things foisted upon him, is a reactive manager and didn't plan our success.

So you don't think he is reactive? He said himself in preseason as we can't afford to buy we would need to react to situations. Choosing alisson when fekir dell through was reactive. The plan was to buy fekir. He's used origi (who he was willing to sell) once he realised sturridge was done, that was reactive. The plan was to sell origi. 

And budget wise, he absolutely does not control the budget. It is foisted on him. Origi choosing to stay instead of joining wolves is foisted on him. Fekir failing his medical was foisted on him. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So you don't think he is reactive? He said himself in preseason as we can't afford to buy we would need to react to situations. Choosing alisson when fekir dell through was reactive. The plan was to buy fekir. He's used origi (who he was willing to sell) once he realised sturridge was done, that was reactive. The plan was to sell origi. 

And budget wise, he absolutely does not control the budget. It is foisted on him. Origi choosing to stay instead of joining wolves is foisted on him. Fekir failing his medical was foisted on him. 

Fair enough, mate, you must know more than me.

12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If you mean reactive as in, oh shit, the fella we were in for failed his medical -- lets move onto the other fella we have been scouting for 3 years, maybe.

Of course it would not have made sense to push the Fekir deal based on knowledge gained at the last minute -- do you agree?

5 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I'm genuinely perplexed why you lot haven't been snapped up by The Athletic. 

I'm not supposed to give details publicly until everything is done, but let's just say my "15 Hottest Young Studs of 2019" and Ligue 1 articles haven't gone unnoticed at a certain subscription-based content company. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you mean reactive as in, oh shit, the fella we were in for failed his medical -- lets move onto the other fella we have been scouting for 3 years, maybe.

Of course it would not have made sense to push the Fekir deal based on knowledge gained at the last minute -- do you agree?

It is reactive. We scout literally hundreds if not thousands of players. Fekir failed his medical, we threw out the plan of needing an attacking midfielder to replace coutinho and chose to get a decent keeper, which till that point had been a low priority position. It is the very definition of reactive. 

And being able to be reactive is not a criticism. It's really tough to do (and get right). I think we do make some choices based on long term plans. I think we make just as many reactively. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Sky: Lovren ready for Roma: Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has reportedly agreed terms with Roma ahead of a possible €25m transfer. https://t.co/SAq4kfbgrJ

I read somewhere earlier today (maybe TIA) that Roma are pushing to take him on loan and with a buy clause with a certain number of appearances. 

It is reactive. We scout literally hundreds if not thousands of players. Fekir failed his medical, we threw out the plan of needing an attacking midfielder to replace coutinho and chose to get a decent keeper, which till that point had been a low priority position. It is the very definition of reactive. 

And being able to be reactive is not a criticism. It's really tough to do (and get right). I think we do make some choices based on long term plans. I think we make just as many reactively. 

You may not be familiar with "best player available". It is a strategy used in all sports. I think what you would consider reactive is actually well thought out.

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Don't go Brechin my heart 

Do we though? Or is he just selective? 

For instance, if I went into a sweet shop and wanted some chocolate, something jelly-based and a drink, I might go in and think actually, I only have £1.50. So I might buy the chocolate instead as it's £1 and the drink for 50p but think, I'll come back for you Haribo but not tell anyone. Now to the shopkeeper - who I told what I was coming in for weirdly - it looks like I was reactive but really, I'll come back for the Haribo when I steal some money out of my ma's purse. That could be next week or next month. 

Does that make me reactive? Or is it a long-term strategy to get all the sweets I'd like? 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

You may not be familiar with "best player available". It is a strategy used in all sports. I think what you would consider reactive is actually well thought out.

I'm not saying we didn't want or rate alisson. Just getting a goalie was not important to us. When no money was there, the echo had spent months preparing for a no karius replacement, which is effectively club propaganda. 

Was origi staying a well thought out plan then? 

3 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Do we though? Or is he just selective? 

For instance, if I went into a sweet shop and wanted some chocolate, something jelly-based and a drink, I might go in and think actually, I only have £1.50. So I might buy the chocolate instead as it's £1 and the drink for 50p but think, I'll come back for you Haribo but not tell anyone. Now to the shopkeeper - who I told what I was coming in for weirdly - it looks like I was reactive but really, I'll come back for the Haribo when I steal some money out of my ma's purse. That could be next week or next month. 

Does that make me reactive? Or is it a long-term strategy to get all the sweets I'd like? 

Haribo reads too like Hendo on my screen for a start! 

But anyway, the last I'll say on it all reactive- "acting in response to a situation rather than creating or controlling it."

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not saying we didn't want or rate alisson. Just getting a goalie was not important to us. When no money was there, the echo had spent months preparing for a no karius replacement, which is effectively club propaganda. 

Was origi staying a well thought out plan then? 

My guess is it was very important to us - like probably the second most pressing need in Klopps view, and that has been proven true.

Certainly there has been a shift in what the club "puts out". Not sure any of it should be taken as gospel - especially transfer stuff.

I do not think it makes sense to suggest that a player refusing a move has anything to do with Klopp or the clubs strategy. There is no way to creating or control it.

TBH they probably would have liked to have sold Markovic at some point don't you think?

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's perfectly plausible that Klopp thought he would give Karius another chance to prove himself in pre-season, didn't like what he saw and then decided to pull the plug on the Fekir deal in order to sign Alisson, which would put him in full control of the situation rather than being reactive.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

My guess is it was very important to us - like probably the second most pressing need in Klopps view, and that has been proven true.

Certainly there has been a shift in what the club "puts out". Not sure any of it should be taken as gospel - especially transfer stuff.

I do not think it makes sense to suggest that a player refusing a move has anything to do with Klopp or the clubs strategy. There is no way to creating or control it.

TBH they probably would have liked to have sold Markovic at some point don't you think?

Of course they wanted to sell markovic. They were right to do so. I'd actually say they were right to try and sell origi, I realise that's not a popular point of view now he's some type of cult hero. But origi is being out up as a "getting the big decisions right". My point is klopp didn't make that decision. His decision (along with Edwards) was to sell. Klopp was later shown to be the fine manager he is by getting the absolute maximum out of a player he not only wanted to sell, the player himself knew was not wanted. 

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's perfectly plausible that Klopp thought he would give Karius another chance to prove himself in pre-season, didn't like what he saw and then decided to pull the plug on the Fekir deal in order to sign Alisson, which would put him in full control of the situation rather than being reactive.

Do you really think judging karius on a pre season match at Tranmere , rather than watching his work over the previous 2 seasons goes against this idea of everything is a long term master plan and nothing is short termism? Honestly, I think klopps ability to work long and short term, to be proactive as well as relative is why he's one of the finest managers around. He does it all, that's why we're lucky to have him.

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

This number 6 buys Boston 2 summers of fucking about scaling back the wage bill. Because all we'll get is shite like "but we won number 6, we must be smarter than everyone else and we've never got a thing wrong". We are a money making machine for our owners who on occasion may win something. Our endeavour to exist to win trophies is clearly a massive thing of the past, I don't see why and how that can be argued. 

I know that you're a WUM and should really just be ignored, but this statement is just typical of the whole troll oeuvre you've cultivated on this forum.

*says something ludicrous, or at the very least highly controversial*

"this is clearly a fact, don't even bother arguing"

*proceeds as if he's no established an incontrovertible argument and then proceeds to base even further arguments on this bedrock*

You've done it so many times now that it's kind of your signature move.

• Upvote 1