You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

11 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Come on though Mbappe? 

That's twice now you've seriously stated we might be in for him.

After the summer we've just witnessed, after all the healthy comments from John Henry and bills to pay comments from Klopp you honestly think they would pay his 500k a week wages? 

This mbappe stuff started off as a joke on the anfield wrap and it's somehow become a real thing. As if we'd pay the sort of fee and wages it would take to bring him to the club. He cost 170m when he was a baby (vvd + alisson + fabinho which we only managed because of selling coutinho), so I'm sure psg would ask more than that.  He already earns 70% more than any player at our club and I'm sure he has no intention of leaving psg without a payrise (if indeed he's even interested in moving). To be honest I have absolutely no issue we're not able to buy such a player, it's just fucking mental. However it feels really weak to justify this year's lack of spending (in fact the net less than 20m a year klopp has had), because we'll buy him down the line. There's just absolutely no evidence we have any interest in spending any large fee unless we sell. And it also undermines this idea we deliberately run a thin squad in order to give youth a chance. So these kids who get their chance this season, we just fuck them off when mbappe rocks up and undo this year's work?

• Upvote 2

It spawned Project M’bappe on Twitter. Which goes as follows. Nike offer us a mega kit deal. We take a reduction on the kit deal and M’bappe agrees to come to us on a wage of £200k per week. However, Nike sign him up to a new sponsorship deal in which they match those weekly wages, thereby circumventing FFP.

Which in turn leads to this shit....

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Wanting to replace shit player with a better one. 

If not going to replace shit player would rather not weaken the squad. 

Oh fucking dear if you can’t understand that. 

Lovren is a good defender. 

33 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He’s been average at best for us and has never played more than 6 consecutive games. 

If we’d replaced him I’d be made up he was gone the same way I was with Mignolet. 

I disagree. He had a terrible start of the year, but been good enough under Klopp. Especially good alongside Virgil.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Everyone is saying klopp has been vindicated in all his big decisions. But at the start of 17/18 almost to a man on here everyone would have said, replace those fucking keepers, they're both shit.  Many (myself included) said the squad isn't deep enough. In Jan 18, the same points were raised. If we'd fixed just one of those two issues over those 2 windows, we may have won number 6 12 months earlier and been on 7 now. Those weaknesses were both ruthlessly exposed in Kiev. Just because we have won number 6 now, does not vindicate every decision made before that date to be correct.

This number 6 buys Boston 2 summers of fucking about scaling back the wage bill. Because all we'll get is shite like "but we won number 6, we must be smarter than everyone else and we've never got a thing wrong". We are a money making machine for our owners who on occasion may win something. Our endeavour to exist to win trophies is clearly a massive thing of the past, I don't see why and how that can be argued. Just last week the echo ran an article about how fsg have told klopp to ignore the domestic cups because they want to win the league. We've been ignoring domestic cups since Kenny was sacked. It's not new. And that story was run as a positive thing. And it's lapped up. 

If Klopp had listened to you we would be on 7 champions leagues and 19 leagues? Am I reading this correctly?

2 minutes ago, moof said:

If Klopp had listened to you we would be on 7 champions leagues and 19 leagues? Am I reading this correctly?

More Fsg I think. And he might well be right. It killed us also in Kenny's last season not re-inforcing in January that year. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Everyone is saying klopp has been vindicated in all his big decisions. But at the start of 17/18 almost to a man on here everyone would have said, replace those fucking keepers, they're both shit.  Many (myself included) said the squad isn't deep enough. In Jan 18, the same points were raised. If we'd fixed just one of those two issues over those 2 windows, we may have won number 6 12 months earlier and been on 7 now. Those weaknesses were both ruthlessly exposed in Kiev. Just because we have won number 6 now, does not vindicate every decision made before that date to be correct.

This number 6 buys Boston 2 summers of fucking about scaling back the wage bill. Because all we'll get is shite like "but we won number 6, we must be smarter than everyone else and we've never got a thing wrong". We are a money making machine for our owners who on occasion may win something. Our endeavour to exist to win trophies is clearly a massive thing of the past, I don't see why and how that can be argued. Just last week the echo ran an article about how fsg have told klopp to ignore the domestic cups because they want to win the league. We've been ignoring domestic cups since Kenny was sacked. It's not new. And that story was run as a positive thing. And it's lapped up. 

I said he'd been vindicated in all of his major decisions and I stand by that. I would include in those major decisions waiting for VvD instead of signing an alternative, selling Coutinho, introducing TAA and Gomez into the first team, replacing Karius with Alisson instead of spending that part of his budget on an attacker and holding onto Origi. Do you disagree with any of those judgement calls he had to make and, if so, why?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, moof said:

No, what I'm saying is we would have undoubtedly had a better chance of winning in Kiev with a deeper squad and no karius. I would imagine over 90% of people on here said karius and mignolet weren't good enough way before we bought alisson. I reckon given the budget klopp would have bombed them too. He bombed karius the second the fekir deal fell through and he had the budget to do it. Are you saying they were good enough and improved our chances of winning things? 

My view is klopp works with the budget he's given from fsg. Anyone who thinks for a minute he makes the choices to keep these meffs like karius or keep a thin squad because it's part of some master plan is mad. It's just budget constraints. Budget constraints cost us number 6 in Kiev. Budget constraints mean we refuse to compete in domestic cups. It's not a footballing master plan, it's let's make money master plan.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

No, what I'm saying is we would have undoubtedly had a better chance of winning in Kiev with a deeper squad and no karius. I would imagine over 90% of people on here said karius and mignolet weren't good enough way before we bought alisson. I reckon given the budget klopp would have bombed them too. He bombed karius the second the fekir deal fell through and he had the budget to do it. Are you saying they were good enough and improved our chances of winning things? 

My view is klopp works with the budget he's given from fsg. Anyone who thinks for a minute he makes the choices to keep these meffs like karius or keep a thin squad because it's part of some master plan is mad. It's just budget constraints. Budget constraints cost us number 6 in Kiev. Budget constraints mean we refuse to compete in domestic cups. It's not a footballing master plan, it's let's make money master plan.

So if we lived in a fantasy world and you got everything you wanted we would’ve won the everything. Searing fucking insight there buddy

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I said he'd been vindicated in all of his major decisions and I stand by that. I would include in those major decisions waiting for VvD instead of signing an alternative, selling Coutinho, introducing TAA and Gomez into the first team, replacing Karius with Alisson instead of spending that part of his budget on an attacker and holding onto Origi. Do you disagree with any of those judgement calls he had to make and, if so, why?

I'd have replaced karius 12 months before. 

He didn't choose to hold on to origi, the club wanted to sell - that includes klopp. The club accepted a bid from wolves, origi turned it down. Nobody else would bid for him at a price Liverpool would trade. He didn't choose to keep him, he was stuck with him and did what all good managers do, try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. 

With a different budget, I'd have replaced coutinho and bought the players we did. We were after all told at the time we did indeed have that money. I remember arguing on here it was all arse and we'd sell to buy. I think with the budget constraints placed on him by fsg, he made a good call getting vvd and alisson. Coutinho would improve us now. Watching Chamberlain do whatever that was on the left wing last night should tell you that.

Giving Trent a go when he did was also necessity. The squad was bare. I am pretty sure klopp is on record saying he had to bring in Trent earlier than he wanted. 

I can keep going. Klopp is great, you will not get an argument from me on that. Our owners are interested in cash and not winning trophies. However, my point is klopp has sometimes caught some decent breaks (see origi) but he's also been bitten in the arse (see karius). Not everything has worked out and I'm convinced it's not part of a master plan as some think on here. Klopp is very often a reactive manager, he has to be because of our owners. Fortunately, he's pretty good at it.

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I'd have replaced karius 12 months before. 

He didn't choose to hold on to origi, the club wanted to sell - that includes klopp. The club accepted a bid from wolves, origi turned it down. Nobody else would bid for him at a price Liverpool would trade. He didn't choose to keep him, he was stuck with him and did what all good managers do, try to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. 

With a different budget, I'd have replaced coutinho and bought the players we did. We were after all told at the time we did indeed have that money. I remember arguing on here it was all arse and we'd sell to buy. I think with the budget constraints placed on him by fsg, he made a good call getting vvd and alisson. Coutinho would improve us now. Watching Chamberlain do whatever that was on the left wing last night should tell you that.

Giving Trent a go when he did was also necessity. The squad was bare. I am pretty sure klopp is on record saying he had to bring in Trent earlier than he wanted. 

I can keep going. Klopp is great, you will not get an argument from me on that. Our owners are interested in cash and not winning trophies. However, my point is klopp has sometimes caught some decent breaks (see origi) but he's also been bitten in the arse (see karius). Not everything has worked out and I'm convinced it's not part of a master plan as some think on here. Klopp is very often a reactive manager, he has to be because of our owners. Fortunately, he's pretty good at it.

Fuck me.