You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

11 minutes ago, Paul said:

Financially we are positioning ourselves to be able to beat almost anyone (including City) to a very top tier signing if he comes on the market. And for me that looks like either Mbappé or, more probably, Sancho. 

What's the measure of Klopp being correct, then? League title? Second place? Top four? Champions League win? Finalists? Semi-finalists?

I'd say the measure is some level of improvement. Which is difficult to achieve without additional quality. And with a smaller squad.

I’d say the measure is another good season in the context of City’s cheating. Because let’s not pretend that any of this would be causing these levels of disquiet if they were playing by the rules. We all see our squad through the distorting prism of City’s spending and consequently unfair success, but we’re not in a position to match that. 

That said, I’d bet my mortgage on us finishing top two again and winning a trophy right now. I also think we’ll win the league this season. But if we don’t, I’m comfortable with that because this is the healthiest position we’ve ever been in in the club's history from my perspective (or certainly in the TV money era) and that bodes well for repeated serious assaults on the top prizes, more than which I don’t think anyone can demand. 

So if he does that (keeps us seriously competitive at the very top end of the scale) that’s Klopp being proven correct in my

view. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think he has not been correct in the past?

I think he's correct most of the time. Just surprised about this summer's transfer activity / squad thinning - given the level we're at (in financial as well as footballing terms) and the number of competitions we're involved in this season.

As ever, time will tell...

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I don’t understand how anyone can see this happen and not recognise the bleedin’ obvious: that it’s simply part of the package when you have Klopp as manager. He clearly favours having a leaner squad than most, just as he sees squad unity and player development as crucial elements of what he does. Furthermore, he’s now made loads of these apparently counter-intuitive calls as Liverpool manager and I can’t think of one that’s back-fired. 

The strategy is now obvious: we have a world class first eleven (arguably only one team in the world that’s better and that would be a fine margins call either way) and are now bringing in early the young players to develop the next world class eleven that will follow them. We therefore get to sign them cheaply and mould them alongside the players they’ll eventually replace. 

Put it this way, without this commitment to youth development there’s no Trent or Gomez in the team. More than that though, Brewster fucks off rather than signs that deal last year, Hoever goes elsewhere and Elliott thinks, “Yes I’m a Red, but there’s no point leaving Fulham”. 

Even if sone of these world class young players fail to make it here, it’s still a good strategy as it mitigates the financial risk, allows us to channel the big wages to the stars who until recently would have fucked off to Madrid or Barcelona and keeps the transfer fee kitty dry for the possibility of a one-off über-signing. 

I’m convinced this is the right way for us to go with Klopp in charge. Any other manager and I’d be far more anxious. Not with this guy though. I also think it helps set us up for a huge deal next summer. Financially we are positioning ourselves to be able to beat almost anyone (including City) to a very top tier signing if he comes on the market. And for me that looks like either Mbappé or, more probably, Sancho. 

Time will tell whether this strategy is right, but I will say this: Klopp is completely committed to it and only a fool would bet against him being correct. 

Can I have the number for your ket dealer? 

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, Luckyhillkop said:

Where does this "we are signing Sancho or Mbappe next season" come from? 

Also when people say we didn't sign anyone in the summer because we are saving it for next season, what are they basing it on? 

Van Dijk. I don’t believe we will sign either of them myself.

12 hours ago, Daisy said:

Can I have the number for your ket dealer? 

Mate, if I was as negative as you, I’d cut out the middle man and just go straight to Dignitas. If you’re not happy now, you’ll never be. Genuinely, it must be awful feeling like you do when the team and club is so strong. 

• Upvote 2

On 13/08/2019 at 12:00, lifetime fan said:

We have 1 RB, 1 LB and 3 CB’s in the first team squad if we let Lovren go now.

That’s not giving youth a chance, it’s fucking stupidity. 

You've consistently been one of Lovren's most vocal critics. To moan about him being sold is rank hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You've consistently been one of Lovren's most vocal critics. To moan about him being sold is rank hypocrisy.

No it isn’t, don’t talk shite mate. 

I was made up we got we got rid of Mignolet because we replaced him. 

I was made up we got rid of Sturridge but was pissed off we didn’t replace him. 

I’d have been made up if we got shut of Lovren and replaced him. 

See the logic? 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

No it isn’t, don’t talk shite mate. 

I was made up we got we got rid of Mignolet because we replaced him. 

I was made up we got rid of Sturridge but was pissed off we didn’t replace him. 

I’d have been made up if we got shut of Lovren and replaced him. 

See the logic? 

No I do not.

All you've done is moan about Lovren during his time here.  He'll be replaced by a younger player such as Hoever, so logic says you'd be glad to see the back of Dejan.

The same is true of Sturridge and Moreno.  

49 minutes ago, TK421 said:

No I do not.

All you've done is moan about Lovren during his time here.  He'll be replaced by a younger player such as Hoever, so logic says you'd be glad to see the back of Dejan.

The same is true of Sturridge and Moreno.  

Wrong again. 

I was indifferent to his signing, thought we overpaid but wanted him to do well. I even mentioned in a match thread it was great to have a CB wearing 6 again.

I wanted him to be a massive success as I do every signing we make. To say otherwise is bollocks. 

I’m glad we got shut of Moreno too, but I’m pissed off we didn’t replace him and have deliberately weakened the squad to save money. 

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Wrong again. 

I was indifferent to his signing, thought we overpaid but wanted him to do well. I even mentioned in a match thread it was great to have a CB wearing 6 again.

I wanted him to be a massive success as I do every signing we make. To say otherwise is bollocks. 

I’m glad we got shut of Moreno too, but I’m pissed off we didn’t replace him and have deliberately weakened the squad to save money. 

giphy.gif

• Downvote 1