You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

15 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Its not a risk worth taking. Just agree to let him go in Jan instead. We can’t go into the season (trying to win it) with three senior centre halfs. 

Lovren was phased out in the second half of last season. He's also rarely fit. Again, this is a long game. If Lovren wants to leave, which is certainly the case (he's obviously not being forced out) then it's beneficial long term to have Hoever or van den Berg play a couple important games instead of Lovren.

And if the game's too important for them  and both Gomez and Matip are injured, you have Fabinho who will do a job. Either way, having two or three first team CB's injured at the same time is a crisis for pretty much any club. Lovren's not getting you out of that crisis unscathed anyway at this point.

We can't sign anyone now until January. We shouldn't be selling anyone until then regardless of who they are. Allison going down on Friday shows just how fragile we are. Plus Lovren is often first to run down the wing off the bench and congratulate a scorer. You need a bit of that. 

If Clyne hadn't have got injured on the tour he would have gone too. By the time he gets back he will be in the last couple of months of his contract. Cant see Lallana getting another one. 

Chirivella is still hanging around after turning down a move to Rosenberg last season. Obviously he's happy to play in front of 50 people each week. 

If Jurgen decides that Fabinho and Milner can cover defensive shortages then he has earned the right to make that call , but please stop going on about these kids. They have not even found their feet at U-23 level yet.

Van Den Berg & Hoever are both 17 and playing in a position that players mature into in their mid-twenties. As a comparison , Foden is supposed to be England's brightest prospect and at 19 he has only played 18 games for the first team. 

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Its not a risk worth taking. Just agree to let him go in Jan instead. We can’t go into the season (trying to win it) with three senior centre halfs. 

Exactly what City are doing. Laporte, Otamendi & Stones.

If Lovren wants to leave for first team football, then we should not stand in his way. I'd of course be happy for him to stay and provide further depth, but for an odd game or three, Fabinho, Hoever & Van den Berg will be fine.

As for cover at full back, if Klopp doesn't want to move Henderson or Milner into the fullback areas, again, we have some youngsters who I'd be comfortable coming in for a game or three.

Besides Larouci, Tony Gallacher is a natural left back and very much in the Andy Robertson mould.

For the right hand side, other than Hoever, we have a promising right back in Neco Williams who would be right at home being an attacking outlet down the right just as Trent is now.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Exactly what City are doing. Laporte, Otamendi & Stones.

Yeah fair challenge. However we will end up only with five senior defenders for the four positions. So if Matip hurts himself, we wouldn’t be able to rest Trent, because we need Gomez there. In contrast, City have two right backs (Cancelo, Walker) and three left backs (Mendy, Zinchenko and Angelino) in their senior squad. 

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Yeah fair challenge. However we will end up only with five senior defenders for the four positions. So if Matip hurts himself, we won’t be able to rest Trent, because we need Gomez there. City have two right backs and three left backs in their senior squad. 

Just edited my post to include the cover available from our 23s.

As for City's full back cover, Mendy is more injury prone than any defender I've known in recent years. Cancelo & Angelino are indeed more experienced than the cover we have, so they have an advantage there of course.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Sepp van den Berg has 21 appearances in the Eredivisie. I'd expect him to be ready for first team action sooner rather than later.

He certainly won't be as far away as some seem to think he is. A good half dozen games for the 21s/23s and a good few months training and he'll be just fine.

2 hours ago, Dynamite said:

He certainly won't be as far away as some seem to think he is. A good half dozen games for the 21s/23s and a good few months training and he'll be just fine.

I don't think Hoever and van den Berg are good options, exactly. It's just that neither is Lovren.

And if the latter can be cashed in for 12m or whatever, then I'm all for it. The dropoff from Lovren to Hoever/van den Berg/Fabinho covering is a pretty tiny one.

• Downvote 1

A lot of you guys seem awfully worried about getting a few bob for FSG , I was rather hoping we would win the league. I get that Jurgen is a lovely guy , but if Lovren going harms our chances of winning it by even a half of one-percent he needs to stay. I love Dynamite's updates on the youth games , but bandying around names like Hoever, Van Den Berg , Larouci , Gallacher and Neco Williams whose average age is barely 17 as capable cover for the best defence in the league is just crazy talk. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

A lot of you guys seem awfully worried about getting a few bob for FSG , I was rather hoping we would win the league. I get that Jurgen is a lovely guy , but if Lovren going harms our chances of winning it by even a half of one-percent he needs to stay. I love Dynamite's updates on the youth games , but bandying around names like Hoever, Van Den Berg , Larouci , Gallacher and Neco Williams whose average age is barely 17 as capable cover for the best defence in the league is just crazy talk. 

We have 3 years to win the league with this squad and manager. The decisions aren't short term.

• Upvote 1

We shall see.

As I said earlier I am happy to go with Jurgen on using Milner and Fabino to plug defensive gaps if he feels they can do that this season , but letting an experienced centre-half go leaving us with 5 proper first team defenders for four positions is a risk we don't have to take.

We let Klavan and Clyne go last year and went through a shit patch with injuries. Ultimately we dropped points in the league and got dumped out of the FA Cup. Lightening can strike twice. I'm not a Lovren fan whatsoever but I wouldn't be letting him go this side of Christmas.

I don’t understand how anyone can see this happen and not recognise the bleedin’ obvious: that it’s simply part of the package when you have Klopp as manager. He clearly favours having a leaner squad than most, just as he sees squad unity and player development as crucial elements of what he does. Furthermore, he’s now made loads of these apparently counter-intuitive calls as Liverpool manager and I can’t think of one that’s back-fired. 

The strategy is now obvious: we have a world class first eleven (arguably only one team in the world that’s better and that would be a fine margins call either way) and are now bringing in early the young players to develop the next world class eleven that will follow them. We therefore get to sign them cheaply and mould them alongside the players they’ll eventually replace. 

Put it this way, without this commitment to youth development there’s no Trent or Gomez in the team. More than that though, Brewster fucks off rather than signs that deal last year, Hoever goes elsewhere and Elliott thinks, “Yes I’m a Red, but there’s no point leaving Fulham”. 

Even if sone of these world class young players fail to make it here, it’s still a good strategy as it mitigates the financial risk, allows us to channel the big wages to the stars who until recently would have fucked off to Madrid or Barcelona and keeps the transfer fee kitty dry for the possibility of a one-off über-signing. 

I’m convinced this is the right way for us to go with Klopp in charge. Any other manager and I’d be far more anxious. Not with this guy though. I also think it helps set us up for a huge deal next summer. Financially we are positioning ourselves to be able to beat almost anyone (including City) to a very top tier signing if he comes on the market. And for me that looks like either Mbappé or, more probably, Sancho. 

Time will tell whether this strategy is right, but I will say this: Klopp is completely committed to it and only a fool would bet against him being correct. 

• Upvote 14