You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

33 minutes ago, No2 said:

They did as an negotiating tactic and it wasn't from a club they own. I don't have figures but they seem to do this all the time from their club's all over the planet.

We can look at it in two ways. 

Either, ABG have figured out how football truly can work in a global market place, like the Pozzo family on steroids. It fits with their other global ambitions, from the soft politicking in the ME & Africa, to the centralised transport/tourism hubs, the Goldophine racing stables and many other disrupters in the existing hegemony. If they see football in a truly global sense and are looking at the future of the ‘sport’ then they’re doing a very good job, supporters in Stockport and the stadium are small fry in comparison to those global rights projections and chumps around the globe stocking up on ‘merch’. Knowing a little bit about the ruling family this is all about the long game and being the ‘best’ not about a league title or FA Cup. This model allows that to take hold all over the globe in a very front facing way (City), whilst they corner other markets through associations, which allows them to dredge territories for other players, all of whom will find their place in the natural order of the organisation, or be sold for a much greater sum than has been invested in them. Money is at the root of all of this when all said and done and this human trafficking model is fucking hugely profitable. What they don’t get is that football is about emotion and attachment and that is the one thing you’ll never be able to replicate through results only, but you’ll be able to make a fortune on the way to realising this.

Or, they’re a bunch of cunts who are ruining everything, the cunts.

• Upvote 1

I reckon another element behind them owning these various clubs worldwide is because fans of those outfits would then likely by default support City as their Premier League team.

Ours and United’s global reach and worldwide fanbase provides a lot of dollars and they definitely want a piece of that pie, so naturally need to find a cheat shortcut method.

2 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Genuinely think we’re gonna win the league now, Kompany’s presence will be sorely missed at City and Sane is a catastrophic loss for them. Expecting Aguero and Silva to start showing signs of aging. Not arsed about the muppets behind us, Arsenal possibly only side who you could say have improved.

I'd be in board with this but I just can't see us going another whole season without significant injury to one of our key players, especially with some of them feeling the effects of near continuous football and the extra matches we'll be playing. 

Hope I'm wrong. 

Rating the windows for our rivals:

City: 7.5/10

Main weakness was Fernandinho's age, and Rodri should be a competent replacement. I really like Cancelo, though they probably didn't need him as badly but when you're playing with Monopoly money then why not? Definite favourites to win the league, and they would have been even if we'd brought in Werner or Pepe or whoever to cover as fourth attacker.

Spurs: 8/10 (if Eriksen leaves, then 6.5/10)

Ndombele is perfect for them, I'm going to hate watching him fix their midfield. Lo Celso is probably replacing Eriksen (which is kind of a lateral move but makes them younger) but he's very good as well. Sessegnon a good young fullback and they're short on fullbacks at the moment. Presuming Aurier ends up leaving do they even have a right back in the squad?

Chelsea: 1/10

Massive downgrade at manager. Lost one of the best attacking players in the league and are replacing him with a good, but way short of Hazard-level player in Pulisic. The best hope they had of scoring goals, Hudson-Odoi, out for the season. They can bring back some of the loan army but that doesn't fix the fact that the highest-scoring player left on their squad had 8 league goals for them last season (Pedro). And he's 32, and not that good.

United: 2/10

Also had a massive downgrade at manager. Then also sold their top non-penalty goalscorer without really replacing him. Better than Chelsea's window because at least they got a really good young fullback (if overpriced) and a better CB than they had (again, if overpriced). I think they're going to really miss Herrera as well, strangely enough. They're going to be playing McTominay and/or Fred waaaaay more than they should by the end of the season.

Arsenal: 4.5/10

Weird way to go this offseason. Their defense was criminally bad for a top-6 side last season, one of the worst in a decade. They had a negative shot differential! So the obvious way to fix that was to ... spend a king's ransom on a pacy attacker? But whatever, at least Pepe's a good player. They should have sold Aubameyang to pay for him, and just gotten younger, but instead they sell Iwobi who's actually quite good when you look at the numbers. Does a lot of their ball-progression, and between him and Ramsey leaving that's a big loss. But Ceballos helps fix some of that so in the end I'm going to say it's just below average rather than a trainwreck a la Chelsea and United. They should be fun to watch, at the very least.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Main weakness was Fernandinho's age, and Rodri should be a competent replacement. I really like Cancelo, though they probably didn't need him as badly but when you're playing with Monopoly money then why not? Definite favourites to win the league, and they would have been even if we'd brought in Werner or Pepe or whoever to cover as fourth attacker.

Ndombele is perfect for them, I'm going to hate watching him fix their midfield. Lo Celso is probably replacing Eriksen (which is kind of a lateral move but makes them younger) but he's very good as well. Sessegnon a good young fullback and they're short on fullbacks at the moment. Presuming Aurier ends up leaving do they even have a right back in the squad?

Massive downgrade at manager. Lost one of the best attacking players in the league and are replacing him with a good, but way short of Hazard-level player in Pulisic. The best hope they had of scoring goals, Hudson-Odoi, out for the season. They can bring back some of the loan army but that doesn't fix the fact that the highest-scoring player left on their squad had 8 league goals for them last season (Pedro). And he's 32, and not that good.

Also had a massive downgrade at manager. Then also sold their top non-penalty goalscorer without really replacing him. Better than Chelsea's window because at least they got a really good young fullback (if overpriced) and a better CB than they had (again, if overpriced). I think they're going to really miss Herrera as well, strangely enough. They're going to be playing McTominay and/or Fred waaaaay more than they should by the end of the season.

Weird way to go this offseason. Their defense was criminally bad for a top-6 side last season, one of the worst in a decade. They had a negative shot differential! So the obvious way to fix that was to ... spend a king's ransom on a pacy attacker? But whatever, at least Pepe's a good player. They should have sold Aubameyang to pay for him, and just gotten younger, but instead they sell Iwobi who's actually quite good when you look at the numbers. Does a lot of their ball-progression, and between him and Ramsey leaving that's a big loss. But Ceballos helps fix some of that so in the end I'm going to say it's just below average rather than a trainwreck a la Chelsea and United. They should be fun to watch, at the very least.

And Liverpool?

54 minutes ago, J-V said:

We’re saving our money to PayPal Werner and Eriksen £20m each to sign for free next Summer.

Those crafty yanks.

This will be all over the back page of tonight's echo. And by crafty, you mean cleverer than anyone else?  And on the inside back page of The Echo more about Everton's new stadium. 

I'm not sure which story is more believable. 

5 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It would appear that Foyth might be being considered their right back this season but he's injured at the minute. And they have Walker-Peters who's being playing in pre-season. Looks like an obvious area of weakness whoever plays

15 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Who was the journo at the start of the window who said if Liverpool do buy anyone it will only be for about 12 million and we all went spare. He knows his onions.

That was David ornstien. He got fucking slaughtered by Liverpool fans for that, when he was doing no more than state the obvious. We're not selling big, so we're not buying big. 

15 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

The 2019 summer transfer window has officially shut.

INS:

Van den Berg (£1.7m)

Elliott (Tribunal)

Adrian (Free)

TOTAL: ~£1.7m

OUTS:

Moreno (Free)

Sturridge (Free)

Mignolet (£8.2m)

Camacho (£7m)

Ings (£20m)

Wilson (£2.5 loan)

Grujic (£2m loan)

Adekanje  (£300k)

Johnson (£300k)

Bogdan (Free)

TOTAL: £40.3m

We sold Solanke in January for £19m and as usual we never bought anyone. A few other loan fees of other players haven't been disclosed. 

Finally fucked off Markovic in January and his 75 grand a week wages. 

There's some massive wage saving in there too. But we've got bills to pay. Yachts don't run themselves. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Chelsea, who I'm not worried about at all from our perspective, have a lot of players coming back from loans who have had decent seasons elsewhere and/or are reaching a good age with potential to improve. They're quite an interesting prospect under Lampard this season - it doesn't have your usual Chelsea feel to it.

Leipzig were desperate to sell Werner this window. By not selling, it means he's already decided on Bayern. United will offer about £80m for Eriksen in January - so the idea of us getting a good deal with those fools around is fanciful. 

47 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Ourselves aside, had to laugh at Arsenal buying Luiz and Everton buying Iwobi.

Surely somebody at either club has seen them playing over the past few seasons?

The money for Iwobi is absolutely insane too.

I actually think David Luiz is a pretty decent footballer, he's just an absolutely brutal centre half and he will definitely ramp up the comedy value of Arsenal's defence.

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I might be in the minority here but I think David Luiz is a very good player. He's leaps and bounds better than their other centre backs. 

He’s a very good footballer, but a bad defender.

In a back three, like under Conte, he can be really good. In a pairing he’s a disaster waiting to happen.

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think you're viewing this too much through LFC-tinted specs.  Both clubs here made good signings that will improve them.  You lambast Arsenal for not signing defenders, seemingly ignoring their capture of David Luiz.  They should have sold Aubameyang?  I mean, why?  Strange comment.  No mention of Saliba or Tierney, either.