You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Istvan Kosma said:

Good point, he did it with Sahin though didn't he? and Kagawa

One year of Coutinho on loan would cost more than the combined fee it took for Dortmund to take back both Sahin and Kagawa. It's not close to being the same type of situation.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

One year of Coutinho on loan would cost more than the combined fee it took for Dortmund to take back both Sahin and Kagawa. It's not close to being the same type of situation.

It isn't if you totally disregard the hyper-inflation of transfer fees (and money in general) that has occurred in football between the two things you're comparing.

Terrible window. 

Teams below us have freshened up their squad and improved, the team above us has gone big again and here we are as usual, edgy and clever Liverpool trying to be the nice guys, doing it the "right way" and doing nothing. The owners can get to fuck, they will never take us to where we should be because they are happy counting the TV money but we could win 8 trebles in a row and I'd still want them gone because I don't like them.

I don't care whether we won the European Cup 2 months ago, Klopp has badly got it wrong by not bringing in another forward. Just one more. I have been bemoaning our refusal to address this since Mané went to the African Cup of Jabronis in 2017 when we were in a title challenge. By the time he came back, we were out of the Carling Cup, FA Cup and limped to 4th in the league. We've refused to learn our lessons and it has been the same way for 2 and a half years now - if one of the front three goes down for any length of time, we're really short on cover.

We are running the risk of running the front three into the floor. They might well avoid injury but between the World Cup, the Euros, the Copa and the African Cup of Jabronis, Firmino, Salah and Mané haven't had a proper summer off for 2 years. They are going to be out on their feet by March and yet again, we refuse to take away the risk by signing another forward. Salah and Mané will get their rest next season because there's no AFCOJ, but Firmino is on Copa duty and loads of the others will be on Euros duty. 

We have gone backwards by proxy - we haven't gone backwards per se but the team above us has tightened their grip and teams below us have freshened up and made changes. Meanwhile if we lose a forward, we're depending on last season's unlikely hero or a kid who hasn't played a minute of first team football. 

If it pays off, Klopp will look like a genius but this is a risky strategy and we don't need to take risks. We are in an era where we have not even a small margin for error, we have no margin for error at all. If tomorrow night we are bringing Brewster off the bench desperate for a goal, I am going to blow my shit. 

• Upvote 12

7 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

It isn't if you totally disregard the hyper-inflation of transfer fees (and money in general) that has occurred in football between the two things you're comparing.

Mate, we're talking about a 25m loan fee versus two players who came back to their former clubs for less than 10m each. Inflation has little to do with it. They got a discount even 5 years ago, we're being quoted a crazy fee for one year of a player's services. No one is going to bite in Coutinho's case.

12 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

Terrible window. 

Teams below us have freshened up their squad and improved, the team above us has gone big again and here we are as usual, edgy and clever Liverpool trying to be the nice guys, doing it the "right way" and doing nothing. The owners can get to fuck, they will never take us to where we should be because they are happy counting the TV money but we could win 8 trebles in a row and I'd still want them gone because I don't like them.

I don't care whether we won the European Cup 2 months ago, Klopp has badly got it wrong by not bringing in another forward. Just one more. I have been bemoaning our refusal to address this since Mané went to the African Cup of Jabronis in 2017 when we were in a title challenge. By the time he came back, we were out of the Carling Cup, FA Cup and limped to 4th in the league. We've refused to learn our lessons and it has been the same way for 2 and a half years now - if one of the front three goes down for any length of time, we're really short on cover.

We are running the risk of running the front three into the floor. They might well avoid injury but between the World Cup, the Euros, the Copa and the African Cup of Jabronis, Firmino, Salah and Mané haven't had a proper summer off for 2 years. They are going to be out on their feet by March and yet again, we refuse to take away the risk by signing another forward. Salah and Mané will get their rest next season because there's no AFCOJ, but Firmino is on Copa duty and loads of the others will be on Euros duty. 

We have gone backwards by proxy - we haven't gone backwards per se but the team above us has tightened their grip and teams below us have freshened up and made changes. Meanwhile if we lose a forward, we're depending on last season's unlikely hero or a kid who hasn't played a minute of first team football. 

If it pays off, Klopp will look like a genius but this is a risky strategy and we don't need to take risks. We are in an era where we have not even a small margin for error, we have no margin for error at all. If tomorrow night we are bringing Brewster off the bench desperate for a goal, I am going to blow my shit. 

You do know that the market for players that would improve us is as small as it has probably ever been? Other than maybe Dybala or Eriksen, who is attainable that would satisfy you? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

Terrible window. 

I keep reading the last line of every post you make as ...Origi in with a chance!

I admire your confidence in the big man.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You do know that the market for players that would improve us is as small as it has probably ever been? Other than maybe Dybala or Eriksen, who is attainable that would satisfy you? 

Barcelona are desperately trying to get rid of Coutinho (who is better than Eriksen) and Dembele - either one of those would have been perfect. I get that we're a tough sell because you're spending a lot of time on the bench or in midfield, but it lets us rotate players which we badly need to do. 

4 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

Barcelona are desperately trying to get rid of Coutinho (who is better than Eriksen) and Dembele - either one of those would have been perfect. I get that we're a tough sell because you're spending a lot of time on the bench or in midfield, but it lets us rotate players which we badly need to do. 

I'd rather Eriksen over Coutinho myself. Dembele from Barca? The guy is a bit of a gobshite. Fuck him. 

27 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

The owners can get to fuck, they will never take us to where we should be because they are happy counting the TV money but we could win 8 trebles in a row and I'd still want them gone because I don't like them.

Probably should have just posted this

I have been bemoaning our refusal to address this since Mané went to the African Cup of Jabronis in 2017 

Been difficult to be a Red since then for sure

I am going to blow my shit. 

Yes you are

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather Eriksen over Coutinho myself. Dembele from Barca? The guy is a bit of a gobshite. Fuck him. 

Eriksen is a fantastic player, I am surprised that Spurs aren't moving heaven and earth to keep him. But Coutinho has more to his game for me. I'd be happy with either or, Eriksen would be easier to buy because of his contract situation. 

McClaren has just called Van Dijk the singing of the summer and compared his arrival at Utd to Van Dijk for us. 

Mitrovic-red-card.gif

van Dijk is so good he can be the signing of the summer two years in a row. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Eriksen would be impossible to buy - Levy would never sell to us.

He might rather than lose him on a free. The word free in relation to outgoing players makes him break out in a rash.

He won't lose him on a free and the Spanish sides have a huge advantage with the way the windows work -- they get to wait until England closes. None of them who are really interested would do anything before that.

Not really sure they were actually selling to Utd but it makes sense for them to appear to be talking to potential buyers - no chance Eriksen would go there.

As for Atletico -- that would be a good fit, probably his second choice