You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The Coutinho thing has defo got something in it.  I think if he thought there was absolutely no chance of him coming back here he would have gone somewhere else.  The club probably don’t want to pay more than 60/70m.  The only way Barcelona are going to accept that is if he just refuses to go anywhere else.  If Liverpool are interested the only way this is going to play out is with Coutinho doing the opposite to what Owen did and sticks it out.  They might think they can command a larger fee and send him wherever they fancy but we will see after a couple of windows if he sticks to his guns.

It would be a gamble on his part but what’s the alternative?  As much as a fuss has been kicked up over there I imagine his family like living there and he’d rather be a bit part player there than moving to Spurs or Arsenal.

13 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

Good point, he did it with Sahin though didn't he? and Kagawa

I don’t think Klopp is so vindictive or bloody minded that he would completely rule out taking a player back, but in the case of Coutinho we’ve improved so much since his departure.

Sahin and Kagawa returned, yeah, but Dortmund weren’t on an upward trajectory at that point - if we’d plateaued or gone backwards since Coutinho’s departure, maybe it’s something Klopp would be more intrigued by (in that case, would Coutinho even want to return?), but I suspect the risk of disrupting the squad by accommodating a very expensive player who couldn’t wait to leave 20 months ago isn’t one he’s keen on taking.

I'm not reading it like that at all. Looks like Barca want him off the wage bill cos they're after Neymar, and he wants to stay and fight for his place. All the shit we're seeing on Twitter about how available he might be is coming from Barca, not from Phil or his camp, and it's certainly not coming from us.

There's no way in hell we're matching the £200k a week he's on at Barca, neither of Spurs or Arsenal could either with the summers they've had, so Barca are stuck with him.

35 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The Coutinho thing has defo got something in it.  I think if he thought there was absolutely no chance of him coming back here he would have gone somewhere else.  The club probably don’t want to pay more than 60/70m.  The only way Barcelona are going to accept that is if he just refuses to go anywhere else.  If Liverpool are interested the only way this is going to play out is with Coutinho doing the opposite to what Owen did and sticks it out.  They might think they can command a larger fee and send him wherever they fancy but we will see after a couple of windows if he sticks to his guns.

It would be a gamble on his part but what’s the alternative?  As much as a fuss has been kicked up over there I imagine his family like living there and he’d rather be a bit part player there than moving to Spurs or Arsenal.

He could just email them and say he has a bad back.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

However unlikely.  There are so many reasons to wait until 16:55 we cannot rule out the possibility of a Cou return  completely.

That wasn’t the question he was asked, he was asked if he would bring Coutinho back if he had the chance not if he had bad the chance to do so, poor from Pearce that.

Edit: Apologies to Pearce it was me who misheard

1 minute ago, moof said:

Mad that we can see these teams scrambling around for players last minute and people are looking at that gutted that we’re not taking part. 

Are people gutted that we're not taking part in the scramble or that we haven't improved the squad when we've been in our best position to do so for decades, and are thereby hoping we pull something out last minute?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

we haven't improved the squad when we've been in our best position to do so for decades

This mantra has run its course. We really are not in the best position to do that because we have by far the best squad we have had -- so anyone coming in needs to be top class and the perfect fit.

Buying Joe Cole was far easier.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

This mantra has run its course. We really are not in the best position to do that because we have by far the best squad we have had -- so anyone coming in needs to be top class and the perfect fit.

Buying Joe Cole was far easier.

We have the best team we've had, but I personally don't believe our squad is untouchable.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Depends who you are comparing it to. Whole squad is certainly stronger than any we've had during that time. 

But if you say City, you may have missed the point.

It doesn't need to be compared to anyone; it has to be viewed in terms of our own "what ifs", and we're fucked if some of our what ifs come true this year.

3 minutes ago, Horus said:

It doesn't need to be compared to anyone; it has to be viewed in terms of our own "what ifs", and we're fucked if some of our what ifs come true this year.

Every team is.

Here are a couple you may want to think about.

What if Ox comes back better than ever?

What if Rhiann Brewster scores a bunch of goals?

What if Keita isn't a shithouse?

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Every team is.

Here are a couple you may want to think about.

What if Ox comes back better than ever?

What if Rhiann Brewster scores a bunch of goals?

What if Keita isn't a shithouse?

I can get onboard with that, but how many players come back from multiple serious career injuries as a better player, when football is a game of pace and movement?

Brewster scoring isn't a concern, it's the fact that our mid 3 is so functional, that the creativity comes from our front 3 and fullbacks. We'd be a lot less if we lost one/two of them for some time.

I think he'll have a decent/good season this year (based on my own hopes and dreams, not evidence).

If all those things happen and we get zero injuries/form drop offs, then we'll be good, but on the back of last season, and the offseason some of our team have faced, I don't think it's that likely.

A little piece of Dave Usher just died:

Here’s one that may have slipped under the radar .. Jason Puncheon has joined Pafos FC, with the Cypriot club describing the 33-year-old as “the greatest transfer” in their history. Puncheon, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Huddersfield from Crystal Palace, blathered: “I am honoured to be joining Pafos FC. I believe the club has big potential and I am happy to become a part of the team and will work hard to bring Pafos to new successes.”