You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Summary of reponses to posts on my Twitter timeline:

"Big mistake not to bring anyone in, sell to buy again"

"Fuck off and support Man City"

"I'm a top red and saw King Kenny play, you're just a Justin Bieber Virgin cunt"

"FSG will spend big next season yer fucking whopper"

"Who is gonna improve our first team then you FIFA cunt"

"Anyone who slags the owners off is a nonce"

16 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I've been saying this for weeks that it's Klopp and not FSG. I don't get why people can't see this.

Ever since he came here, he has preferred to work with what he has mostly.

As for Coutinho, there was no way that we'd buy him back. Just glad he's not going to a rival.

My concern is that that Utd, City, Tottenham and Arsenal have all strengthened, only time will tell how well but even one or two signings to freshen up the squad would have been a good idea in my opinion. in all honesty we were miles better than all the above last season but you don't want to give them a boost by letting them close the gap. Pepe would have been a good addition. 

4 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I've been saying this for weeks that it's Klopp and not FSG. I don't get why people don't get this.

As for Coutinho, there was no way that we'd buy him back. Just glad he's not going to a rival.

Maybe, but there is that "bills to pay" quote from that presser that seems to suggest otherwise. Who knows.

People forget though that last year Klopp was fully prepared to stick it out with Karius until Alisson unexpectedly became available, so this whole financial prudence and "wait for the right man or buy nobody" attitude does seem to be coming from Klopp, at least partly. That's not to say the owners aren't tightarses as well, but it seems that it's at least not 100% on them.

Where I disagree with a lot of people is in thinking that this is in any way as clever or shrewd as is made out. Can you imagine the difference last year with another 9 months of Karius? Alisson's won us countless league points already and directly kept us in the CL with that save v Napoli, but if Roma had never softened their stance on a sale I fail to see the logic in keeping a shite keeper way below the standard just because our number one pick wasn't available.

Similarly now while it's true our team is the strongest it's been in many years, it's only one or two injuries from falling apart, and not investing in players because exactly who we want isn't available doesn't and never will make sense to me. If we get as lucky with injuries to key players as we did last season it could still be a great year, I just hope the summer doesn't end up as one big regret.

43 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I've been saying this for weeks that it's Klopp and not FSG. I don't get why people can't see this.

If it is on Jurgen I hope he keeps his gob shut come december. He's always quick to whinge about too many games.

Also his car analogy was crap.

• Downvote 9

25 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Summary of reponses to posts on my Twitter timeline:

"Big mistake not to bring anyone in, sell to buy again"

"Fuck off and support Man City"

"I'm a top red and saw King Kenny play, you're just a Justin Bieber Virgin cunt"

"FSG will spend big next season yer fucking whopper"

"Who is gonna improve our first team then you FIFA cunt"

"Anyone who slags the owners off is a nonce"

It frustrates the life out of me.

I don't like the owners, never have and never will. And I think Klopp is misguided in not signing another forward - I still think he's the best manager in the world. 

47 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It was pretty much reported in the press we paid a don't be a bunch of cunts tax! And they didn't want to do it there and then, because they wanted to show their fans they could stand up to us, their fans were going mental and wanted us fucked by the PL. This is a nice compromise for everyone. 

If that was the case then they wouldn’t have gone through and reported us to the league no? It became out of their control once they actually submitted their complaint to the PL.

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Id rather listen to Klopp and he says it's financial. 

48 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

If that was the case then they wouldn’t have gone through and reported us to the league no? It became out of their control once they actually submitted their complaint to the PL.

I don't think so. It was dropped because of lack of evidence and the PL could pick it up again if more evidence was submitted. All Southampton had to do was submit the evidence. 

1 hour ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

Maybe, but there is that "bills to pay" quote from that presser that seems to suggest otherwise. Who knows.

People forget though that last year Klopp was fully prepared to stick it out with Karius until Alisson unexpectedly became available, so this whole financial prudence and "wait for the right man or buy nobody" attitude does seem to be coming from Klopp, at least partly. That's not to say the owners aren't tightarses as well, but it seems that it's at least not 100% on them.

Where I disagree with a lot of people is in thinking that this is in any way as clever or shrewd as is made out. Can you imagine the difference last year with another 9 months of Karius? Alisson's won us countless league points already and directly kept us in the CL with that save v Napoli, but if Roma had never softened their stance on a sale I fail to see the logic in keeping a shite keeper way below the standard just because our number one pick wasn't available.

Similarly now while it's true our team is the strongest it's been in many years, it's only one or two injuries from falling apart, and not investing in players because exactly who we want isn't available doesn't and never will make sense to me. If we get as lucky with injuries to key players as we did last season it could still be a great year, I just hope the summer doesn't end up as one big regret.

Alisson was always available. He just wasn't available to us when we were allocating our funds to fekir. Once fekir was finished, alisson became available as we then had the funds. If we'd have signed fekir, we'd still have karius. 

I think the Owners and the Club have been very smart in one area...and thats the media.

They have systematically over time diluted strong opinion. The Echo, which was once (a while back mind) a decent local source of independent opinion, is now firmly controlled by the Club. Every article this summer has been about how clever the Club is, why spending isn't necessary, why no one should worry and why the rest of Europe are running scared. And it starts as soon as it needs to, to placate the masses. Then you've got the national journos of sorts, Reddy, Joyce, and now Pearce, carefully controlling and publishing the right article at the right time, towing the line to keep the access they need to do their jobs.

The biggest change however, and one move that I really do have to doff my hat to them for is with local amateur media, specifically touted independent opinion on all things LFC - The Anfield Wrap, Redmen TV etc. They have made sure that as these mini hobbies have grown into business ventures, their independent thought has become less and less. These 'fan' platforms have become money makers and been given access to the players and manager, no doubt in return for keeping things light so to speak. Once you are in bed you will tow the line or lose your privileges. In fact the Anfield Wrap is very tame to what it once was a few years back, as its grown in popularity they have adjusted their output for broad consumption. Both themselves and Redmen are now publishing books. The core meaning and soul of why they started has long since vanished and why I won't subscribe any more.

So what does this mean? It means that theres not much of a dissenting voice, theres not much disagreement with what happens at the Club. Yeah you've got here at the TLW, and you get the comments section of the Echo and few dissenters on Twitter, but nothing that really scratches the surface.

I think from now on, if anything goes tits up from the owners you will barely get a whimper. The trademark issue for example, only a handful of fan names spoke up about it, the rest where very quiet. pretty sad really.

• Upvote 10