You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guaranteed Echo articles over the next month:

Next summer will be big when proper targets are available.

Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain can provide much needed depth because they were not available last season.

Keita and Fabinho are fully acclimatised to English football now so there was no need for a midfield signing. 

Liverpool have reduced the wage bill to make room for future possible additions. 

The academy can save liverpool a fortune.

Liverpool are cleverer than every team know England because they have better spreadsheets and formulas than everyone. 

Vague articles about the new kit deal. 

Another sponsor/partnership.

A vague stadium update after Peter Moore says something off the cuff at an EA Sports event in Singapore or Hong Kong. 

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Guaranteed Echo articles over the next month:

Next summer will be big when proper targets are available.

Lallana and Oxlade-Chamberlain can provide much needed depth because they were not available last season.

Keita and Fabinho are fully acclimatised to English football now so there was no need for a midfield signing. 

Liverpool have reduced the wage bill to make room for future possible additions. 

The academy can save liverpool a fortune.

Liverpool are cleverer than every team know England because they have better spreadsheets and formulas than everyone. 

Vague articles about the new kit deal. 

Another sponsor/partnership.

A vague stadium update after Peter Moore says something off the cuff at an EA Sports event in Singapore or Hong Kong. 

We are Everton lalalalala!

• Upvote 1

I have faith in Klopp to the maximum out of every player when they are fit and if it's a case of waiting for the right players rather than just buying someone to fill a gap I can understand that, although I do have major concerns if we lose one of the front 3 for a long time. 

Irrespective of that the "we're great in the transfer market" articles really piss me off, it's about as far away from the Liverpool Way as possible. We've undoubtedly gotten it right more than we've gotten it wrong over the last couple of years but that's been far from the norm of the FSG tenure. Just shut the fuck up and get on with it instead of crowing about it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I have faith in Klopp to the maximum out of every player when they are fit and if it's a case of waiting for the right players rather than just buying someone to fill a gap I can understand that, although I do have major concerns if we lose one of the front 3 for a long time. 

Irrespective of that the "we're great in the transfer market" articles really piss me off, it's about as far away from the Liverpool Way as possible. We've undoubtedly gotten it right more than we've gotten it wrong over the last couple of years but that's been far from the norm of the FSG tenure. Just shut the fuck up and get on with it instead of crowing about it. 

Klopp will get the most out of every player he has. But he couldn't be more clear the reason we're not strengthening is not because he doesn't want more, it's because we've no money available. He's talked about us having to pay the bills and it not being our year to spend in about 5 press conferences. I think klopp is fine with that as he's happy to work with financial constraints as he has at every club he's worked at, but I don't think for a second it has anything to do with waiting for the right player to become available. If we don't buy in this window, it's because the budget is already spent. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Klopp will get the most out of every player he has. But he couldn't be more clear the reason we're not strengthening is not because he doesn't want more, it's because we've no money available. He's talked about us having to pay the bills and it not being our year to spend in about 5 press conferences. I think klopp is fine with that as he's happy to work with financial constraints as he has at every club he's worked at, but I don't think for a second it has anything to do with waiting for the right player to become available. If we don't buy in this window, it's because the budget is already spent. 

I wouldn't know as I don't watch any press conferences or interviews these days. I just remember that being the big argument on not signing a defender and waiting for big sexy Virg. 

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If we are skint then god knows what other clubs finances are like.

We pulled in the most money in the league from PL prize money and tv money last season, we've been in the last two european cup finals and earned all that comes with that...

18 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I wouldn't know as I don't watch any press conferences or interviews these days. I just remember that being the big argument on not signing a defender and waiting for big sexy Virg. 

That was completely different though wasn't it. We didn't wait because we just felt like, we waited because we got caught red handed talking to him without permission and VVD had already committed to us, so we had to wait a window to get him. I don't think that was any type of transfer competence, in fact I would say quite the opposite. We could and should have had him the window before. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

If we are skint then god knows what other clubs finances are like.

We pulled in the most money in the league from PL prize money and tv money last season, we've been in the last two european cup finals and earned all that comes with that...

Nowhere did I mention skint. I said the budget was spent. 2 entirely different things. I think we're loaded, but we have no intention of allowing wages to go above whatever the line is fsg have drawn. This is not a sporting venture for fsg, it's a business venture in sport. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That was completely different though wasn't it. We didn't wait because we just felt like, we waited because we got caught red handed talking to him without permission and VVD had already committed to us, so we had to wait a window to get him. I don't think hay was any type of transfer competence, in fact I would say quite the opposite. We could and should have had him the window before. 

Agree that it was a different scenario, but no one forced us to wait for him. We had 3 months to find a replacement.

15 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Agree that it was a different scenario, but no one forced us to wait for him. We had 3 months to find a replacement.

Well I think that rather depends on the conversations that happened behind the scenes with both vvd and Southampton. I would feel we committed to vvd and our agreement with Southampton to not progress their complaint involved them not being seen to bend over in that window and us pay a tax on the fee, 50m was the talked about amount prior to us fucking up. If I had to guess I would say we were absolutely committed to that transfer during the summer window. 

In terms of the whole 'Always Injured/Underwhelming Player X can be the new Baresi this season' stuff that the club have been churning out all summer, Keita's the one I hold out the most hope for as we've barely seen anything from him yet.

There was more excitement about his potential and what he'd bring than there was about Van Dijk, Alisson or Fabinho at the time of their signings. Niggling injuries aside, I thought he was disappointing for the most part given the few seasons he'd just had in Germany, and maybe it's a personality thing, but I didn't see the same ferocious will to succeed that Mane, Robbo and Virgil constantly display. 

So while I'm hoping for a lot more from him, I won't be completely surprised if it's one of those signings that seemed perfect but never quite scales the heights. Prove me wrong on that one, Nabs.

20 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Well I think that rather depends on the conversations that happened behind the scenes with both vvd and Southampton. I would feel we committed to vvd and our agreement with Southampton to not progress their complaint involved them not being seen to bend over in that window and us pay a tax on the fee, 50m was the talked about amount prior to us fucking up. If I had to guess I would say we were absolutely committed to that transfer during the summer window. 

We could’ve easily moved on to another target, we had ample time and Southampton warned us not to continue pursuing him. They already reported us to the PL so there was nothing else they could’ve done, no?

2 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

We could’ve easily moved on to another target, we had ample time and Southampton warned us not to continue pursuing him.

Or we'd have ended up with a transfer ban because Southampton would have taken into the PL (in fact they did if I recall and it was later dropped) had we not paid their tax. We'll never know for sure, but that "don't persue him" backs up my point of view that they refused to be seen to be fucked over in that window (by us again might I add as lallana and lovren downed tools to join us)

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In terms of the whole 'Always Injured/Underwhelming Player X can be the new Baresi this season' stuff that the club have been churning out all summer, Keita's the one I hold out the most hope for as we've barely seen anything from him yet.

There was more excitement about his potential and what he'd bring than there was about Van Dijk, Alisson or Fabinho at the time of their signings. Niggling injuries aside, I thought he was disappointing for the most part given the few seasons he'd just had in Germany, and maybe it's a personality thing, but I didn't see the same ferocious will to succeed that Mane, Robbo and Virgil constantly display. 

So while I'm hoping for a lot more from him, I won't be completely surprised if it's one of those signings that seemed perfect but never quite scales the heights. Prove me wrong on that one, Nabs.

He will be good for us if not great this season. VD has his back.

I think the big disappointment with keita is he was sold as a bit of a fighter by all these internet scout types. The skill stuff you never quite know if it will translate to another league, but you know a bit of fight in a midfielder goes a long way in this league. But he looked like he wasn't a tiny bit interested in getting kicked and just wanted to roll around feeling sorry for himself. I'm not sure he's made of the right stuff to play in the PL. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think the big disappointment with keita is he was sold as a bit of a fighter by all these internet scout types. The skill stuff you never quite know if it will translate to another league, but you know a bit of fight in a midfielder goes a long way in this league. But he looked like he wasn't a tiny bit interested in getting kicked and just wanted to roll around feeling sorry for himself. I'm not sure he's made of the right stuff to play in the PL. 

He needs to kick on this season. There’s been flashes of good stuff from him, but the physical side seemed to daunt him. Win your battles Naby, then let your skill do the talking.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Or we'd have ended up with a transfer ban because Southampton would have taken into the PL (in fact they did if I recall and it was later dropped) had we not paid their tax. We'll never know for sure, but that "don't persue him" backs up my point of view that they refused to be seen to be fucked over in that window (by us again might I add as lallana and lovren downed tools to join us)

They did. The easiest thing to do would’ve been to move on to another target IMO.

Interesting to note the summer Lille have had:

Sales:

Nicolas Pepe - £72m - Arsenal

Rafael Leao - £32m - Milan

Thiago Mendes - £22m - Lyon

Yousouff Kone - £8m - Lyon

Anwar El Ghazi - £8m - Villa

Buys:

Yusuf Yaziki - £15m

Victor Osimhem - £10.8m

Timothy Weah - £8m

Bejamin Andre - £7m

Domagoj Bradaric - £6m

Leo Jardim - £5m

15 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Interesting to note the summer Lille have had:

Sales:

Nicolas Pepe - £72m - Arsenal

Rafael Leao - £32m - Milan

Thiago Mendes - £22m - Lyon

Yousouff Kone - £8m - Lyon

Anwar El Ghazi - £8m - Villa

Buys:

Yusuf Yaziki - £15m

Victor Osimhem - £10.8m

Timothy Weah - £8m

Bejamin Andre - £7m

Domagoj Bradaric - £6m

Leo Jardim - £5m

They're copying Monaco. In fact, their Director of Football is the same one Monaco had when they bought and sold all those gems a couple years ago. 

After all the shit John W- came out with. That we have the finances to compete and bla bla bla. 

And then Jürgen says we have no money is kind of odd. The wage bill was balancing around 58% of turnover, which is a bit much and I think we are still thereabouts with contract renewals and the ones we let go. It kind of makes sense that we are not eager to get anyone in. But if our finances are like that how on gods earth does it hold up for others. That's where it doesn't make sense for me. 

It’s almost like we’ve committed a massive amount of our budget in tying all our best players down to improved five year contracts.

087B03FD-CBBA-4083-B02C-8B04C89EA8ED.jpeg

• Upvote 3