You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

We’ll have a fucking good go this season. If the others behind us strengthen, who knows...maybe a few of them might actually give City a game this time.  

I’d back us to fare better against improved top four challengers than they do, after a season of everyone else giving it their all to stop us through pure spite.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

We’ll have a fucking good go this season. If the others behind us strengthen, who knows...maybe a few of them might actually give City a game this time.  

I’d back us to fare better against improved top four challengers than they do, after a season of everyone else giving it their all to stop us through pure spite.

Preach, sister! 

10 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

If everyone stays fit yes. 

The issue is if Mo did a hamstring and missed 2/3 months of the seasons we be relying 9n Shaqiri and Origi two players not given starts after Xmas or even much game time last year as they were not trusted or not good enough to start. Hoping that the forwards get through the season and actually habe enough in the tank to go again is asking alot with the world cup in 2018 and Copa America, ACON this summer. 

Nobody says we needed 200ml spent, but we needed another first team option. Look at City last year in close games they often had Jesus and Sane to come off the bench and that's with de Bruyne missing nearly all season. We look at the bench and it's not nearly as good. This whole idea we will only spend on the first xi some people have is crazy, it means without huge slices of luck with form, fitness we will be lucky to ever get over the line in the league. Look at Spurs collapse last year, up there with us and City till March then the lack of squad depth killed them and they got lucky finishing 4th. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Our problem has always been our quality outside of our starting XI.

If anything happens to our front 3, we're fucked.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Preach.

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If everyone stays fit yes. 

The issue is if Mo did a hamstring and missed 2/3 months of the seasons we be relying 9n Shaqiri and Origi two players not given starts after Xmas or even much game time last year as they were not trusted or not good enough to start. Hoping that the forwards get through the season and actually habe enough in the tank to go again is asking alot with the world cup in 2018 and Copa America, ACON this summer. 

Nobody says we needed 200ml spent, but we needed another first team option. Look at City last year in close games they often had Jesus and Sane to come off the bench and that's with de Bruyne missing nearly all season. We look at the bench and it's not nearly as good. This whole idea we will only spend on the first xi some people have is crazy, it means without huge slices of luck with form, fitness we will be lucky to ever get over the line in the league. Look at Spurs collapse last year, up there with us and City till March then the lack of squad depth killed them and they got lucky finishing 4th. 

Also preach, and I am more with this than I am anything else. Just one more forward and I would be looking forward to this season more than any I can ever remember. Instead, it feels like those in our rear view mirror have strengthened, the team in front of us the same, and we're sat with our thumb up our arse. 

Klopp is the best manager I've seen us have but I'm afraid he is bang wrong on this. 

I doubt there’s a person reading this forum who doesn’t realise we lack anything close to like-for-like quality in reserve for our front 3. I’m even including people like gnasher, who’ve suffered life-changing industrial accidents involving their heads and a threshing machine.

So I realise I regularly give off the impression of being a simpleton, but I do genuinely understand that and am gutted we’ve not bought someone who could come in for Mo or Sadio without a massive drop-off in our attacking threat.

However, even with that not having happened, I’m still convinced we’ll challenge for the title. We’re an absolutely outstanding side with quality studded right the way through it, not even just through the spine. The better and more ambitious teams are, the better we’re set up to mitigate their strengths and hurt them.

Everyone else who’s strengthening around us has to face each other and City twice as well, they don’t just play us. Let’s see who fares best overall in those encounters, my bet is we will.

• Upvote 6

Guest Alex_K

If Spurs take Dybala and Coutinho on the back of the stadium spend & N'Dombele it reflects so, so badly on FSG. Proper Ferguson "no value in the market" moment. We are so close.

10 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

If Spurs take Dybala and Coutinho on the back of the stadium spend & N'Dombele it reflects so, so badly on FSG. 

Unless this is the first window of 18 months of inactivity - then they do the expansion.

In which case it would be very similar - except we would have purchased the most expensive defender and goalkeeper in the 12 months prior. And won the Champions League. Otherwise it might.

I think Dybala is a non-starter given the reported demands and problems over his image rights. There’s also a suggestion he’s sitting tight for PSG later in the window,

I also can’t see Levy spunking what Barca are demanding on a loan, although I’m not arsed where Coutinho ends up, if I’m honest.