You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

55 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I think the phrase echo chamber was invested entirely for this thread.

derp derp derp standing still

derp derp derp trust Klopp

derp derp derp no one in the market

Sign derp derp derp!

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Shaqiri still doesn't really fit into the 4-3-3 imo, he's good in a 4-2-3-1 but there's a reason Klopp jibbed that formation halfway through last season

Aye you talk sense I have affection for talented footballers who just don't fit into the norm luxury players. Always liked Berbatov, Molby, Yeboah , Ginola types thank God I am not in charge of recruitment.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I’m really not sold on this saving for next year argument. If players like M’bappe, Dembele and Sancho are available then it’s not like we’ll get a free run at any of them.

I'd be surprised to see us interested in Dembele next summer.  If he's available then that means he'll have had his second shit year in a row.  If he plays well, he won't be attainable anyway, he won't want t move and they won't want to sell.  There is another reason for not selling, which I'll come onto.

Sancho is contracted to 2022, so summer 2020 could be when Dortmund look to get maximum value from selling.  Invariably he will be centre of a bidding war between United, City, Spurs, Chelsea (ban over by then), and us.  It'll get messy.  Klopp said before that he was interested in Sancho when he was at City, but that's a lot different.  He was interested when the value was there, not at the point at which he's sold for £100m, or more, as English clubs drive the price mental. 

Mbappe is different.  Of the three you mention, there is a strong rumour that he himself will push for the deal to happen, IF it was to happen.  His contract finishes in 2022, but can see PSG being pretty pissed off with him for not renewing, and insisting on a fucking massive transfer fee, I mean, £200m+.  I think Barca will look to replace Messi with MBappe, and use the bait of French compatriots Griezmann, Lenglet, Umtiti and Dembele, plus him being top dog at the club.

Barca could afford any fee because (a) they don't mind being in debt, and (b) they could sell a 33 year old Messi to pay for it.  His contract expires in 2021, and so far a new contract hasn't been forthcoming. You wonder if Barca have done the sums and seen no point in a new contract, and have started to build for the future, with Griezmann a strategic piece in the puzzle in order to attract Mbappe in 2020, for him to be top dog at the club.

The alternative is that Real Madrid make a big play for him, with their own French gang (Zidane, Mendy, Varane, and possibly Pogba).  You see them currently trying to offload Bale and Rodriguez for big money, with no real incoming forwards linked with them at present, they just seem to want to stockpile cash for something.  With some of the stalwarts now ageing (Benzema - 32 in Dec, Modric - 34 in Sep, Ramos - 34 next March) they have been buying for the future, but doing so with some restraint (for them, anyway):

Rodrygo - age 18 - €45m

Jovic - age 21 - €60m

Vinicius Jr - age 19 - €45m

Militao - age 21 - €50m

Obviously they've just got Hazard, he's the Galactico, but they needed him badly, because they really have no idea how these young players are going to develop.  They will need 2 or 3 Galactico's next summer, and Mbappe will feature at the top of their list. 

Where do Liverpool fit in?  Well, the scraps from all these scenarios:

Asensio may be Madrid's best way of raising a fee with no takers for Bale or Rodriguez. 

Coutinho, ahem.

Personally, I'm fine with this.  The game is broken, we're watching criminals throw the money around, but there's still plenty of cogs that will fit our machine, and while these lot are fighting to grab a piece of the vogue players, we can sneak around the back and have a look at the likes of Alcacer, Son Min Heung, Lozano, Havertz, Neres, Ziyech, van de Beek, for example.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Never heard of the kid but let’s be honest , we are not spending £36m on an 18 yo lad who isn’t good enough to have played a game in the Brazilian League, whole story seems a bit fishy.

Let's be even more honest, every word after "£36m" in that sentence is superfluous.

• Upvote 3

"Der redshite sent Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish over to his house on his eighth birthday dressed as clowns to do balloon animals. Roy Evans used to read him bedtime stories. Michael Owen took him for rides in his helicopter. Robbie Fowler and Slippy G got him hooked on wizz. On his 18th birthday when he was about to sign on the dotted line he said Im from the school of science, I was born not made, I'm chosen and he ripped off his red shite blag training gear and kissed the badge on his royal blue pyjamas."

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

"Der redshite sent Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish over to his house on his eighth birthday dressed as clowns to do balloon animals. Roy Evans used to read him bedtime stories. Michael Owen took him for rides in his helicopter. Robbie Fowler and Slippy G got him hooked on wizz. On his 18th birthday when he was about to sign on the dotted line he said Im from the school of science, I was born not made, I'm chosen and he ripped off his red shite blag training gear and kissed the badge on his royal blue pyjamas."

That's fucking absurd; everyone knows Brazilians use the word jammies, not pyjamas.

As it looks like nobody is coming in been thinking of alternatives to starting all the front three some games. 

Wonder if we will see a 3-5-2

Makes use of us having good CB. 

Gomez has looked good for England in a 3 too. 

-----------------Alisson

--------Gomez---Matip---VVD

TAA------------------------------Robertson

------------Fabinho--Hendo

--------------------Shaqiri 

Can play any of the midfielders really in the two and any pairing of the main strikers ahead of Shaqiri. Still keeps the width would allow Hoever, Larouchi, Lewis to play as a wingback without the risk of leaving them as exposed too

21 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

As it looks like nobody is coming in been thinking of alternatives to starting all the front three some games. 

-----------------Alisson

Can play any of the midfielders really in the two and any pairing of the main strikers ahead of Shaqiri. Still keeps the width would allow Hoever, Larouchi, Lewis to play as a wingback without the risk of leaving them as exposed too

I like the cut of your jib. Eight players on the pitch to show we can win without our best attackers. That's how you're gonna bastard them in the cunt.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

-----------------Alisson

It would suit some of our players but I think I heard Klopp say once that 3/5 at the back isn't ideal for pressing so he prefers other formations. Don't remember where that was but he said it. 

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Can't get my head around that Everton one. 35m for a kid who has never played a game? I really hope they get him. 

They all think Brands is God now because he walked into the Nou Camp and Allianz and told Barca and Juventus he was taking their best players. The best ones they don't really want and just want to get money for. But he had them off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

They all think Brands is God now because he walked into the Nou Camp and Allianz and told Barca and Juventus he was taking their best players. The best ones they don't really want and just want to get money for. But he had them off.

I find it hard to understand the belief they have in him. It's like they think he's won 400 trophies with 12 year olds he discovered in the fallout of Chernobyl or something.  They had that same passion for that other bellend from Leicester , what was his name, Steve Walsh?