You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

5 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

No need to patronize mate.

I do know it, and I have a problem with it. I want the owners of my club to match our ambitions for the club.  

The question I'm asking is not 'please somebody show me the previous ten balance sheets to show me the math which means we cannot afford to a single first team player'.

The question I'm asking is how, after what Klopp has done with relative pittance, do our owners not feel emboldened to finally make a notable investment into the club. Back their man, who they seemingly (and rightfully) trust wholeheartedly? 

The question is especially pertinent given John Henry was quick to walk around with a cigar in his mouth telling Sky Sports how he would 'invest this summer to make Liverpool Premier League champions'. Save us the bullshit.

We’ve just won the European Cup and got 97 points in the league you fucking knobhead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Bournemouth are interested in Harry Wilson as well as Villa. Liverpool want £25m. Bournemouth should be unveiled as our official Financial Fair Play partners.

We shouldn't sell him if we're not bringing in a new attacker.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dynamite said:

PSV have been knocked out of the Champions League against Basel tonight, so I wonder if Bergwijn and/or Lozano will now be more available than they would have been if PSV had progressed to the group stages.

We've been linked with both in the past. Both fit the profile of one of the players we're supposedly looking for - a versatile forward who can play across the front line.

Maybe this is a factor, not just PSV, but there's a 3rd qualifying round which wraps up on 13/14 Aug where the likes of Porto and Ajax could miss out on the CL.

7 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

No need to patronize mate.

I do know it, and I have a problem with it. I want the owners of my club to match our ambitions for the club.  

The question I'm asking is not 'please somebody show me the previous ten balance sheets to show me the math which means we cannot afford to a single first team player'.

The question I'm asking is how, after what Klopp has done with relative pittance, do our owners not feel emboldened to finally make a notable investment into the club. Back their man, who they seemingly (and rightfully) trust wholeheartedly? 

The question is especially pertinent given John Henry was quick to walk around with a cigar in his mouth telling Sky Sports how he would 'invest this summer to make Liverpool Premier League champions'. Save us the bullshit.

Mate, I don't want to be patronizing but it's hard to believe by now that you aren't aware that almost no team in the world has owners that actually pump their own money into their clubs transfer budget. United don't, Spurs don't, Arsenal don't, not even Chelsea nowadays.

In England, it's Man City and that's it. It's been made clear like a decade ago that they would contribute to infrastructure, as they've done with the stand and the new academy project but they don't give transfer money because of FFP and probably other reasons.

His quote at the end of the season was bizarre, maybe he wasn't personally aware of the financials, who knows. John Henry doesn't run the club on a day to day basis.

Guest Pistonbroke

Our starting 11 is fine, Klopp doesn't want to rock the boat by bringing in a player or two who would expect to start, he's keeping faith with those who gave us our best season in years. We could do with more strength in depth, but finding those players at reasonable prices is pretty hard due to the madness of fees/wages involved. We may as well hold on to those we have and hope they perform better when called upon. Ox is back and hopefully Keita will be a better player this season when his injury clears up. A decent player as cover for Robbo would be nice and another option up front, although JK seems to have faith in Origi and Brewster to cover that. We could still sign someone, guess a lot depends on shifting Mingolet and maybe Lovren on. 

I think we've settled for 2nd this season. With Klopp saying the big money is for next year must mean that someone goods coming in and we've got more than enough to go with so why buy any random player in now who may not get a look in this season or next and won't make much difference in getting past this city side. They won't win 4 in a row and as the saying goes, next years our year. 

We'll have happily kept those players with 12m to go as when you think about it, we're not going to get a big fee, they'll want their contract paying up, an agents fee to get the sale, then go through it all again for a replacement who may need time to bed in so we may as well let them run the contract down and use their experience if needed.

If it goes tits up, at least we've got the January 2020 transfer thread to look forward too.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’m really not sold on this saving for next year argument. If players like M’bappe, Dembele and Sancho are available then it’s not like we’ll get a free run at any of them.

Bit like saying I'm not getting into a relationship because Kate Upton might be single next year.

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Our starting 11 is fine, Klopp doesn't want to rock the boat by bringing in a player or two who would expect to start, he's keeping faith with those who gave us our best season in years. We could do with more strength in depth, but finding those players at reasonable prices is pretty hard due to the madness of fees/wages involved. We may as well hold on to those we have and hope they perform better when called upon. Ox is back and hopefully Keita will be a better player this season when his injury clears up. A decent player as cover for Robbo would be nice and another option up front, although JK seems to have faith in Origi and Brewster to cover that. We could still sign someone, guess a lot depends on shifting Mingolet and maybe Lovren on. 

Ox and Keita will either excel or spend 75% of the season injured with Lallana. We shipped Sturridge who actually got a bit of game time last year.

Its a gamble but I can see we are going to take it