You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Don't worry, Tony Cascarino has got this...

Tony Cascarino believes Liverpool could yet make two significant signings before the transfer window shuts in nine days’ time, despite Jurgen Klopp playing down the Reds’ chances.

The Reds have had an extremely quiet summer so far, with only teenagers Sepp van den Berg and Harvey Elliott arriving at the home of the European champions.

Liverpool were once again linked with a late foray to sign Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele on Tuesday, while our readers have suggested the Reds target a young Fulham star before the window shuts.

And while Klopp has openly admitted the club has not given up hope of making a significant splash before the window shuts, the Reds boss has downplayed their chances by saying finding the right kind of player is proving extremely difficult.

However, Cascarino still thinks they could pull a rabbit or two out of the hat if the right deals become available

before the deadline a week on Thursday.

“As much as Liverpool are very, very quiet, I still think they will make a signing or maybe two,” Cascarino told talkSPORT.

“I don’t think they will go through this whole window with not really bringing in any players.

“Okay, they have some exciting youngsters coming through such as [Rhian] Brewster. But Liverpool will get through it because there squads getting better and bigger.

“As we get to the final day, there are clubs waiting in the wings. Sometimes out of nowhere people become available.

“The vultures that these clubs are, once they see a move that’s possible because Liverpool standards are very high.

“Where they are now, they are competing for really good footballers. They might make a steal on someone.”

PSV have been knocked out of the Champions League against Basel tonight, so I wonder if Bergwijn and/or Lozano will now be more available than they would have been if PSV had progressed to the group stages.

We've been linked with both in the past. Both fit the profile of one of the players we're supposedly looking for - a versatile forward who can play across the front line.

1 minute ago, Dynamite said:

PSV have been knocked out of the Champions League against Basel tonight, so I wonder if Bergwijn and/or Lozano will now be more available than they would have been if PSV had progressed to the group stages.

We've been linked with both in the past. Both fit the profile of one of the players we're supposedly looking for - a versatile forward who can play across the front line.

Think you've seen Everton's wish list and taken it as ours

44 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Depressing, even 6th placed clowns United are trying to sign quality players while we sit on our laurels and the mountain of gold we've got. If our failure to improve the squad leads to a shite season FSG can go and do one.

People were saying the same when they got Sanchez in.

I also think we should be using this window to strengthen the squad, but the main reasons we’ve been better than United lately isn’t that we have signed better players than them. 

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Depressing, even 6th placed clowns United are trying to sign quality players while we sit on our laurels and the mountain of gold we've got. If our failure to improve the squad leads to a shite season FSG can go and do one.

United make the GDP of a small country in revenue every year. Of course they will spend. Also, it's now pretty obvious we have no mountain of gold, at least for this season. 

How in the fuck can we have no money? As the 7th richest club in the world who have had a net spend of approximately fuck all under Klopp per season?

When the fuck are the owners going to invest serious money? 

What can be inferred from our lack of business this year is that it means we will sell a big player next year in order to fund new purchases. Ergo, we will never have the strength in depth to challenge on numerous fronts continually. Ergo, we'll never see a 'dynasty' under these owners.

You don't come across a Jurgen Klopp very often. We are very fortunate to have him here. There are strong possibilities he leaves in 3 years. This model will not be sustainable without a manager of his calibre and as the rest of Europe already knows...it's not easy to find one.

Owners are getting off lightly in my opinion.

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Was Tony Cascarino commentating?

21 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

How in the fuck can we have no money? As the 7th richest club in the world who have had a net spend of approximately fuck all under Klopp per season?

When the fuck are the owners going to invest serious money? 

What can be inferred from our lack of business this year is that it means we will sell a big player next year in order to fund new purchases. Ergo, we will never have the strength in depth to challenge on numerous fronts continually. Ergo, we'll never see a 'dynasty' under these owners.

You don't come across a Jurgen Klopp very often. We are very fortunate to have him here. There are strong possibilities he leaves in 3 years. This model will not be sustainable without a manager of his calibre and as the rest of Europe already knows...it's not easy to find one.

Owners are getting off lightly in my opinion.

This guy on Twitter seems to have a decent idea.

Also, on the bolded part they said like 10 years ago they wouldn't contribute their own money to the transfer budget. If you didn't know we're mostly sell-to-buy and the transfer budget depends a lot on the revenue versus costs, that's on you. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Also, on the bolded part they said like 10 years ago they wouldn't contribute their own money to the transfer budget. If you didn't know we're mostly sell-to-buy and the transfer budget depends a lot on the revenue versus costs, that's on you. 

No need to patronize mate.

I do know it, and I have a problem with it. I want the owners of my club to match our ambitions for the club.  

The question I'm asking is not 'please somebody show me the previous ten balance sheets to show me the math which means we cannot afford to a single first team player'.

The question I'm asking is how, after what Klopp has done with relative pittance, do our owners not feel emboldened to finally make a notable investment into the club. Back their man, who they seemingly (and rightfully) trust wholeheartedly? 

The question is especially pertinent given John Henry was quick to walk around with a cigar in his mouth telling Sky Sports how he would 'invest this summer to make Liverpool Premier League champions'. Save us the bullshit.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I get it now, they don't want to buy more players and have more success because of the stupid bonus scheme they designed when they thought they were being financially savvy. I remember them boasting at the time how clever they were through the Echo about how we are paying everyone lower weekly wages. Cunts 

I'm starting to get agitated with our owners again now. Seems obvious we were in for Pepe and Arsenal seems to have succesfully structured a ridicolous way of paying, with 20 mil upfront and the rest over fucking five years. We should have easily matched that shit, but the purse is empty apparently.

Can't believe a few contract extension is going to eat up 100 mil. The dude that made that calculation that was posted here was close to the real thing I think about the 35 mil plus sales should be in the coffers, so that is somewhere around 70 mil. that should be available. I reckon though they are earmarked for pay offs for the current expansion, Kirkby, and probably an extra expansion at some point. 

Hope I'm completely wrong and Dembelé or Sancho will be leaning tomorrow.

Yeah I don't buy the massive wage increase myself. Even if say Firmino, Trent, Mane and Salah deals added on 350k a week Sturridge, Moreno and Ings would cover half of it. VVD would be covered by Coutinho off the books. 

No doubt there has been a big increase in wages but if they were that big a issue surely pressure from Edwards and the board would have been made in terms of Lovren, Lallana, Mingolet getting shipped out. 

Im hoping its purely a decision made on not being able to get the players they want that have meant they've kept the higher earners like them on for a year before selling next year and to fund, free up space. The issue will be if one of the front three wants out next year if we don't compete for either the league or champions league. 

Window ain't shut yet and our side is still good enough to compete regardless. Don't know how we are skint though it's ridiculous how low outr net spend is after sales since klopp has been here. The only time I think id get really pissed off would be if their tight budget begins to grind on klopp and we hear pochettino like grumblings.

It's a mistake in my opinion not to add another top player though, to be competitive, a psychological boost and because that's what top teams do. Scare the shit out of the league. Have we ever had a summer window where we have bought no one for the first team. I know we mostly fuck january off. Easy 12 months for Edwards.