You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

We have been moaning for years about losing our top players, huge wages have secured our front three for the foreseeable future. We all wanted a new top attacking player, maybe the one Klopp wants isn’t available, he has proven he will wait to get exactly who he wants, worked ok so far.

Money for that player could be there being kept dry, we do need a couple of players in cover positions though and that should be addressed in the coming weeks hopefully.

Klopp rates Brewster highly and so do many, Origi is getting a lot of stick, he is a squad player after all and cost £10m, we have others costing a lot more who struggle to even get on the pitch, the permacrocked Lallana for one.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am not saying he is a top player -- I am pointing out that comparing him to Macheda is ridiculous

What a fucking non entity he was. Seemed he was put on this Earth solely to score those 2(?) goals against Villa plus the one he did an 'Alan Smith' on at Middlesbrough and steal the title from us that year. The fact that was the highlight of his 'career' is of no consolation.

Still gives me the shivers to this day.

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We have been moaning for years about losing our top players, huge wages have secured our front three for the foreseeable future. We all wanted a new top attacking player, maybe the one Klopp wants isn’t available, he has proven he will wait to get exactly who he wants, worked ok so far.

Money for that player could be there being kept dry, we do need a couple of players in cover positions though and that should be addressed in the coming weeks hopefully.

Klopp rates Brewster highly and so do many, Origi is getting a lot of stick, he is a squad player after all and cost £10m, we have others costing a lot more who struggle to even get on the pitch, the permacrocked Lallana for one.

Klopp was able to get who he wanted eventually because we had Coutinho money. How many times have we heard that money was being kept for the next transfer window, and then it never materialises? I have zero issues with Klopp, but I don't believe he should be happy with what we've done this summer. Brewster maybe highly rated, but is he on Mahrez's level that can come in and score points winning goals? Maybe, maybe not? I'm not panicking, we'll most likely be 2nd again, with some amazing European nights thrown in, but I don't want to be in the 2020 summer thread after we've finished 2nd again by a couple of points because we had Salah and Bobby out for a month in which we only scraped a couple of points. 

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

Klopp was able to get who he wanted eventually because we had Coutinho money. How many times have we heard that money was being kept for the next transfer window, and then it never materialises? I have zero issues with Klopp, but I don't believe he should be happy with what we've done this summer. Brewster maybe highly rated, but is he on Mahrez's level that can come in and score points winning goals? Maybe, maybe not? I'm not panicking, we'll most likely be 2nd again, with some amazing European nights thrown in, but I don't want to be in the 2020 summer thread after we've finished 2nd again by a couple of points because we had Salah and Bobby out for a month in which we only scraped a couple of points. 

We have Divock to score our bench goals!

Runs for cover......

12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He's playing in Greece scoring better than 1 in 3. 

Yep, and while he was doing that for a mid table team in one of the worst leagues around, Origi was scoring in this league to win us points and keep us in contention for the title. And scoring in the CL semi and final -- for the Champions of Europe.

So , similar....

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

There’s a difference between being concerned and cryarsing.  Some bell ends on here aren’t happy unless they’re moaning about something.  The club/owners/Klopp depending on who you want to whinge about have been taking shit for years over spending and bringing players in.  Yet somehow we’ve managed to get to 2 European cup finals, winning one of them and getting 97 points in the league.  Klopp has spent the majority of his time here managing the fans as much as the players.  He’s tried to stop negativity/impatience from the fans which he feels obviously bleeds through to the players.  He’d been pretty successful doing it but still had that trophy whinge hanging around his neck.  Then we go and win the biggest trophy available and you would think that would wake some of these cunts up but no.

The club threw a lot of money at players the in the past 18 months and clearly feel like they need to take stock.  For all we know we might be holding back until Guardiola fucks off before having another crack at the league.  Realistically we could spend 200/300m this summer and still lose out to them because we can’t compete using money in the way they do.

I think the club taking shit for years for not bringing players in is probably fair enough, given our record over those years. Not now though obviously, but people still having a few scars from the horrendous transfer windows we saw in the recent past have fair comment.

But I think people are claiming "cry-arsing" when it's not "cry-arsing".  You see it on twitter loads.  A person says something like "Jesus, we're in the best shape we've been for years. Get a top notch striker/midfielder and we can finally win the league".  And he/she gets hounded for it. That's not cry-arsing. That's a genuine, fair comment.  Really good back up could see us stay the course for that extra 2 points this season. That's wanting to finally take that last step to win the league.  That's not cry-arsing.  

Of course the ones who respond to every single Liverpool FC post with "Sign players" need to grow up.  That's just boring.  But it's hardly hammering the club.

Your last paragraph I think is a bit of a shocker.  They received a massive cash boost when selling Coutinho so I've no idea what "taking stock" they need after last summer.  The transfer window opening doesn't also coincide with LFC owners and execs minds opening to thinking about what they did last summer. They will have taken stock when doing the buying. Not a year later. I actually also think they'd probably spend if Klopp demanded it anyway.  That's why I'm calm about it. 

The rest of your final paragraph is extremely defeatist. Certainly Klopp ands the players wouldn't entertain that type of thought. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

The rest of your final paragraph is extremely defeatist. Certainly Klopp ands the players wouldn't entertain that type of thought. 

Spot on here - I don't think there is anybody involved with the club that think City are a better team.

47 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep, and while he was doing that for a mid table team in one of the worst leagues around, Origi was scoring in this league to win us points and keep us in contention for the title. And scoring in the CL semi and final -- for the Champions of Europe.

So , similar....

And marcheda was scoring the goals a few seasons back to win man United the league. So both have made great contributions to major trophy winning teams despite being crap at football. 

Our first eleven is arguably the best in the league. City's bench is a good bit stronger than ours and their squad is full of quality that we don't have.

Put it like this, De Bruyne is arguably the best player in the league (definitely top 3) and they coped without him for pretty much all of last season. Would we have been able to cope without lets say Mane or Virgil last year for pretty much the season. Yeah, we would have got second, but nowhere near one point of City.

The thing i am worried about is that our main forwards will not hit the ground running until possibly september following the copa america and anc and we know that City will get 95 points at least, so it leaves little or no room for dropped points to the likes of Burnley or Southampton away. In my opinion, there is nothing to separate us and City and if we have a bit of luck, we can win the league. Little things like them getting a harder than normal group in the champions league or sane fucking off to the fatherland. Kompamy will be a big loss in that dressing room as he kept all the egos in check. It would be a shame if we kept the powder dry for next season when even one signing gives us that safety net. 

The positive is that Jurgen knows what he is doing and if he reckons brewster is good enough to be an impact player this year, then that's good enough for me. Divock may not be world class or nowhere near but if he starts the season like he finished last year, then we might be able to get through until the big boys are back and i'd be confident he can make a difference.

Keita was beginning to play well at the tail end of the season so it will be good to see how he does this season.

• Upvote 1

The trouble with keeping your powder dry too is who knows what that pot of cash is worth in real terms? It wasn't so long ago arsenal were telling everyone they were sitting on 100m and weren't spending because they couldn't find the right players and not because the cash isn't there. At the time 100m sounded like a sum that could transform your team, now it buys you a couple of prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The trouble with keeping your powder dry too is who knows what that pot of cash is worth in real terms? It wasn't so long ago arsenal were telling everyone they were sitting on 100m and weren't spending because they couldn't find the right players and not because the cash isn't there. At the time 100m sounded like a sum that could transform your team, now it buys you a couple of prospects. 

We should make prospects like Brewster and Elliott wear leather jackets with PROSPECT patches on the back like in Sons of Anarchy.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I think the club taking shit for years for not bringing players in is probably fair enough, given our record over those years. Not now though obviously, but people still having a few scars from the horrendous transfer windows we saw in the recent past have fair comment.

But I think people are claiming "cry-arsing" when it's not "cry-arsing".  You see it on twitter loads.  A person says something like "Jesus, we're in the best shape we've been for years. Get a top notch striker/midfielder and we can finally win the league".  And he/she gets hounded for it. That's not cry-arsing. That's a genuine, fair comment.  Really good back up could see us stay the course for that extra 2 points this season. That's wanting to finally take that last step to win the league.  That's not cry-arsing.  

Of course the ones who respond to every single Liverpool FC post with "Sign players" need to grow up.  That's just boring.  But it's hardly hammering the club.

Your last paragraph I think is a bit of a shocker.  They received a massive cash boost when selling Coutinho so I've no idea what "taking stock" they need after last summer.  The transfer window opening doesn't also coincide with LFC owners and execs minds opening to thinking about what they did last summer. They will have taken stock when doing the buying. Not a year later. I actually also think they'd probably spend if Klopp demanded it anyway.  That's why I'm calm about it. 

I can’t speak for those people on twitter but there’s plenty in here slagging off a lot of our bit part players that did their part in achieving what we achieved last season because they’re spoilt twats.  I’m not talking about lads saying that want us to sign some players and have a reasoned approach to it.  I’m talking about the people whinging about everything around it.  The club has been going in the right direction for a while now.  We held off signing players until we knew we could get the top tier we were struggling to sign when we were outside the top 4.  We broke into it and signed a few and held off for Virg which then resulted in astronomical cry arsing.  It worked out pretty well.

It’s up to the individual obviously but the negativity isn’t going to help the team.  There should be a party atmosphere at every game next season as it should be a season with so much less pressure than before.

The taking stock thing is just a guess of what it looks like to me.  They may have decided it a while ago.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Marcheda was shite but scored some important goals to win a league title. He's now better than a 1 in 3 striker at panathaniakos. Sounds exactly the level where origi is. 

Macheda has more than 100 top flight appearances and has scored 17 goals. And I'm including his time in Greece as top flight even though it's a terrible league because or else he's got 6 goals in about 80 games and that is abominable. He's not good enough to play in a first division.

Origi has 50 top flight goals and his mediocre goals per game record is skewed by the fact most of his appearances are as a sub. His minutes per goal record is actually pretty good. Hence, why he's an adequate backup. He puts the ball in the back of the net at a decent rate.

Come on man, it's an absolutely insulting, ridiculous and lazy comparison. It's a joke.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Macheda has more than 100 top flight appearances and has scored 17 goals. And I'm including his time in Greece as top flight even though it's a terrible league because or else he's got 6 goals in about 80 games and that is abominable. He's not good enough to play in a first division.

Origi has 50 top flight goals and his mediocre goals per game record is skewed by the fact most of his appearances are as a sub. His minutes per goal record is actually pretty good. Hence, why he's an adequate backup. He puts the ball in the back of the net at a decent rate.

Come on man, it's an absolutely insulting, ridiculous and lazy comparison. It's a joke.

I don't think it is. I think he's shite and the reason he still plays for us is no top flight team was ever prepared to take the gamble on him and the too flight in crap leagues can't afford to. 

• Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think it is. I think he's shite and the reason he still plays for us is no top flight team was ever prepared to take the gamble on him and the too flight in crap leagues can't afford to. 

I'm no Origi fanboy, cult status/meme material stuff aside, but if this Macheda comparison is the hill you're going to die on, you'll end up looking ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Big surprise that you didn't acknowledge the facts.

15 minutes ago, Em City said:

I'm no Origi fanboy, cult status/meme material stuff aside, but if this Macheda comparison is the hill you're going to die on, you'll end up looking ridiculous.

It's not a hill to die on, it's an opinion about a player. I think he's pretty awful as a footballer. As bad as just about any we've had. In my lifetime at our club, I'd say Dundee, jovanovic and maybe mad Erik are worse. He's about on a par with borini, although borini was technically better I think. I'd have an injured Andy Carroll before him he's that bad. 

• Downvote 5