You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

One of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club? No attempt to leverage our bargaining power as European Champions to take the cream of the available talent. Huge missed opportunity to sign some more options from the bench and really give citeh a run for their money for the title.

No attempt to make a statement signing and scare the pants off everyone else. We've stood still while our immediate rivals have all strengthened. Is it arrogance or frugality? Not sure but it's freaking my fucking nut out.  

Not liking the pre-season shit show either. Yeah fuck it it's just pre-season but it doesn't bode well. Citeh are gonna give it to us next week if we don't turn up. Shit way to start the season if that happens. 

Man United have been making lots of statement signings over the last 5 years, and look how far that took them.

I would also have prefered us to strengthen the squad, I think we are too dependent on key players staying fit.

But the success we’ve had on the transfer market the last years is due to a clear strategy, and avoiding panic buys and statment signings.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Daisy said:

That's the price of decent forwards now. 

You won't get a Mane or Salah for 35m anymore. 

If that is the case though, then it’s a massive defining decision.

You can’t spend £75 million and cock it up, because you then don’t have another £75 million next season unless you manage to sell someone expensive.

So if the club aren’t convinced on Pepe, it makes sense to wait and spend the money on someone the manager does want.

5 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Agree with the comment about the ridiculous formations, something approaching a 4-5-1 with Origi as a lone striker and one or two of the midfielders getting forwards, Wijnaldum noticeably against Napoli.

I don’t think these games are meaningless though. The results are, but the games will be used to try systems or players out to find out possibilities going into the season.

Klopp won’t be fooled by the wide open spaces Napoli exploited yesterday, or by Lallana’s lack of impact on the game or by the fact that we seemed to step up a gear when the kids came on, even if we failed to score.

I think he might be settled regarding who might make an impact and who won’t.

We’ll give City a game next week I’m sure, but he and Guardiola will know the real business starts the week after, only then will we also have a better idea of how preseason has really gone.

Are we playing 451? Personally I thought it looked like our normal 433 with player in the wide positions who just aren't wide forwards. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

If that is the case though, then it’s a massive defining decision.

You can’t spend £75 million and cock it up, because you then don’t have another £75 million next season unless you manage to sell someone expensive.

So if the club aren’t convinced on Pepe, it makes sense to wait and spend the money on someone the manager does want.

You can say every transfer is a gamble. Do you really think there's not a player somewhere on world football who's available at a reasonable (in this market!) price that isn't a massive upgrade on origi and closer to the standard of our front 3? 

We're not buying because forwards are expensive and we don't want to spend that much, it's nothing to do with if someone is good or not. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Man United have been making lots of statement signings over the last 5 years, and look how far that took them.

I would also have prefered us to strengthen the squad, I think we are too dependent on key players staying fit.

But the success we’ve had on the transfer market the last years is due to a clear strategy, and avoiding panic buys and statment signings.

Choosing between today’s transfer strategy and the 6-7 signings we used to see under previous managers, there’s no doubt we’re doing better now. If buying a new front man we must be sure he’s a better alternative than Divock or Brewster. If not it’s better to stick with what we have.

Not buying anyone at all on the back of last season looks a bit strange however. I don’t want 3-4 signings, only one big signing to improve us. I still have hope something might happen, i.e. a Coutinho return. It might benefit us to stay calm and shrug our shoulders and wait until Barca meets our conditions. Cou return might be on, or it might not.  We’ll know 14 days from now. I see Bruno Fernandes is still at Sporting, still linked heavily to ManU but you never know.

22 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Sane to Bayern? If true we should be all over that. 

It's no coincidence - assuming the move happens - that Sané is German and he is joining a team that plays in Germany.

We are now properly talking about what we need to win the league and retain the European Cup. We're now genuinely back at that top level.  We go into the season with achievable goals of a level we've probably not had since summer 1984. 

I'd rather we had spent a bit and got in proper forward cover as we are light there.  I'd have liked to have seen a really good creator for the middle of the park too.  And a decent back up goalie.  But that's very much easily said, but very hard to do. 

I trust Klopp more than I've trusted any manager since probably Rafa.  I believe that if he wanted someone then the club would do their best to get him. I also believe that given how good we've been at transfers over the last few years, that the effort from the club would be genuine and thorough.  So in that way I'm happy enough to see what happens. And if we don't sign a first team level player then, while I'll still be concerned about what we do when Salah, Firmino or Mane get injured (and it is when, not if), I'm still happy to trust in the club.

However, I don't get people having a go at folk who are concerned. People calling it "cry arsing" because fans are nervous of what happens if those injuries to our top 3 come at the same time or are long term are out of order in my opinion. 

We've seen this moaning at fans who are concerned before.  And it's usually followed by a big drop off the season after a good season such as 2008/09 or 2013/14. 

We made an art of adding top talent and bringing them into the team after a great year.  After doing the treble in 1984 we signed Molby from Ajax. We all know the talent we brought in after finishing second in 1986/87 season.  After that amazing season we brought Rush back.  Sitting on your laurels can be dangerous.  So if you are having a go at folk for being nervous with no signings, then stop it. They're allowed.  Laughing it off or calling them names just shows your ignorance.  

Also, if you are justifying no signings by saying "We've just won the European Cup for goods sake" then please jump off a high building.  That was last season.  It's done now.  Ronnie Moran would be spinning in his grave at comments like that.

• Upvote 13

6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

We are now properly talking about what we need to win the league and retain the European Cup. We're now genuinely back at that top level.  We go into the season with achievable goals of a level we've probably not had since summer 1984. 

I'd rather we had spent a bit and got in proper forward cover as we are light there.  I'd have liked to have seen a really good creator for the middle of the park too.  And a decent back up goalie.  But that's very much easily said, but very hard to do. 

I trust Klopp more than I've trusted any manager since probably Rafa.  I believe that if he wanted someone then the club would do their best to get him. I also believe that given how good we've been at transfers over the last few years, that the effort from the club would be genuine and thorough.  So in that way I'm happy enough to see what happens. And if we don't sign a first team level player then, while I'll still be concerned about what we do when Salah, Firmino or Mane get injured (and it is when, not if), I'm still happy to trust in the club.

However, I don't get people having a go at folk who are concerned. People calling it "cry arsing" because fans are nervous of what happens if those injuries to our top 3 come at the same time or are long term are out of order in my opinion. 

We've seen this moaning at fans who are concerned before.  And it's usually followed by a big drop off the season after a good season such as 2008/09 or 2013/14. 

We made an art of adding top talent and bringing them into the team after a great year.  After doing the treble in 1984 we signed Molby from Ajax. We all know the talent we brought in after finishing second in 1986/87 season.  After that amazing season we brought Rush back.  Sitting on your laurels can be dangerous.  So if you are having a go at folk for being nervous with no signings, then stop it. They're allowed.  Laughing it off or calling them names just shows your ignorance.  

Also, if you are justifying no signings by saying "We've just won the European Cup for goods sake" then please jump off a high building.  That was last season.  It's done now.  Ronnie Moran would be spinning in his grave at comments like that.

There’s a difference between being concerned and cryarsing.  Some bell ends on here aren’t happy unless they’re moaning about something.  The club/owners/Klopp depending on who you want to whinge about have been taking shit for years over spending and bringing players in.  Yet somehow we’ve managed to get to 2 European cup finals, winning one of them and getting 97 points in the league.  Klopp has spent the majority of his time here managing the fans as much as the players.  He’s tried to stop negativity/impatience from the fans which he feels obviously bleeds through to the players.  He’d been pretty successful doing it but still had that trophy whinge hanging around his neck.  Then we go and win the biggest trophy available and you would think that would wake some of these cunts up but no.

The club threw a lot of money at players the in the past 18 months and clearly feel like they need to take stock.  For all we know we might be holding back until Guardiola fucks off before having another crack at the league.  Realistically we could spend 200/300m this summer and still lose out to them because we can’t compete using money in the way they do.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Are we playing 451? Personally I thought it looked like our normal 433 with player in the wide positions who just aren't wide forwards. 

You can say every transfer is a gamble. Do you really think there's not a player somewhere on world football who's available at a reasonable (in this market!) price that isn't a massive upgrade on origi and closer to the standard of our front 3? 

We're not buying because forwards are expensive and we don't want to spend that much, it's nothing to do with if someone is good or not. 

Of course it’s to do with if someone is good or not. That’s the whole point. 

Klopp has been on record a fair bit saying they have been looking, but yes I don’t think with the budget he has got they could find someone at this point that is much of an upgrade.

So in that case it makes a bit more sense to spend on someone he does want if they are going to be a vital player for 5+ years. There is an opportunity cost for this season going that way.

I’m fine with Origi as back up centre forward though with Brewster behind him. Also Shaq is fine too. 

But yeah we need that extra wide forward a notch up as well.

A slight concern for me in terms of the front three is that they'll all be well aware that once fit, their place probably isn't in danger. They're sound fellas so it shouldn't be a major issue, but still, it'd be no harm to have that additional bit of pressure behind them.

On a positive, Origi or Brewster will look an awful lot better beside two of the three regulars than they will in the glorified training/commercial exercises at present.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Of course it’s to do with if someone is good or not. That’s the whole point. 

Klopp has been on record a fair bit saying they have been looking, but yes I don’t think with the budget he has got they could find someone at this point that is much of an upgrade.

So in that case it makes a bit more sense to spend on someone he does want if they are going to be a vital player for 5+ years. There is an opportunity cost for this season going that way.

I’m fine with Origi as back up centre forward though with Brewster behind him. Also Shaq is fine too. 

But yeah we need that extra wide forward a notch up as well.

Klopp is on record of saying he would like one player and all the feedback the club have given to the press is that would be a full back. We're not buying because we don't want to spend the money it would cost to bring in a forward. There's literally tons of forwards around who are better than origi. I know he's become some type of a cult hero because of some late goals, but he's shite and we were desperate to offload him and is no better than the likes of that marchena the mancs had years ago. Instead though because his contract is running down and we can't get the transfer fee we want, we've signed him up and we have to put up with him for another season. He'll be gone next summer. 

• Upvote 1

If we want to continue to attract young talents In the future we need to give them a chance to prove themselves. Recently we’ve signed players like Hoever, van den Berg and Harvey Elliott. Before that Brewster, Gomez and Trent from our own ranks.

Buying  4-5 established £50M+ players each season makes it a hell of a lot more difficult to give these gems a chance to shine. If I was a 16 year old talent I’d know my chances would be better joining us rather than MCity or Chelsea. I’d like to keep it that way.

Still I’d like a Coutinho in our team, being named Coutinho or someone else at his level.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Klopp is on record of saying he would like one player and all the feedback the club have given to the press is that would be a full back. We're not buying because we don't want to spend the money it would cost to bring in a forward. There's literally tons of forwards around who are better than origi. I know he's become some type of a cult hero because of some late goals, but he's shite and we were desperate to offload him and is no better than the likes of that marchena the mancs had years ago. Instead though because his contract is running down and we can't get the transfer fee we want, we've signed him up and we have to put up with him for another season. He'll be gone next summer. 

That does not make any logical sense whatsoever Barry.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

BREAKING: Borussia Dortmund have reportedly approached Liverpool about Harry Wilson. The Bundesliga giants are reportedly eager to sign the Welshman and have registered their interest in landing him permanently. (Football Insider.) https://t.co/MYauIl3HXd

Be interesting to see what we can get for him. I'd have him ahead of solanke in his career development and maybe I'm wrong, but I think he has a higher level he can achieve too. I'd expect we'd want over 20m for him. 

Klopp needs court-martialling over this summer's business. 

I will initiate proceedings with command, with the trial to begin at 0800. 

I expect him clean shaven and in full uniform to hear his response to the following:

- Failure to recruit a new player born pre Will Smith's single Will 2K.

- Failure to dispose of perverted shot-fondler S Mignolet before other clubs remembered he was broken.

- Failure to select pre-season opponents who don't treat a fitness exercise like it's Escape to Victory.

- Failure to recognise that Kent and Wilson is a folk duo from Illinois, not the back-up forwards to the CL winners.

• Upvote 5