You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I said we need 3 players to stay fit and 2 to be good. Not exactly said everything needs to be perfect. I think expecting players who cost 35m and 55m respectively to be a value add to the squad isn't too unrealistic, but that's just me. 

3 players to stay fit is perfect. 

As for the other 2. One has an appalling injury record throughout his career and the other might have cost 50m quid, but he didn't look anything like that last year. He just looked like a fella who was so out of his depth he wanted to roll round the floor and cry. I like ox as a player, or certainly like what he did in the few months after coutinho left and before his injury, but my expectations of what he can contribute over a year is not high. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

3 players to stay fit is perfect. 

As for the other 2. One has an appalling injury record throughout his career and the other might have cost 50m quid, but he didn't look anything like that last year. He just looked like a fella who was so out of his depth he wanted to roll round the floor and cry. I like ox as a player, or certainly like what he did in the few months after coutinho left and before his injury, but my expectations of what he can contribute over a year is not high. 

No it's not. The whole squad staying fit is perfect. 

We've got two big money signings that are talented but did nothing last year for different reasons. If they play well this year we'll have a better squad. Don't know what's so unreasonable about that. 

50 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We discovered fekirs knee was made of spaghetti. We spent the fekir money on alisson otherwise we might still be looking at ward or Ming. 

So if everything is perfect we'll be ok. It doesn't seem much of a plan to be honest. 

And as for keita, I know it's not a popular view, but he'll never make it with us imo. 

I understood the connection with missing out on Fekir the point being you never know, maybe we will spend and are waiting and maybe we won’t. We should have built on last season imo. 

12 hours ago, Boss said:

The Italian player thing is 100% real. In recent times Darmian and Immobile both failed spectacularly. Jorginho was arguably one of the worst big money flops of last season. There are hardly any examples (outside of Veratti) of current Italian players succeeding at big clubs outside Italy. It's also a fucking nightmare to get rid of them. Remember Balotelli and Aquilani?

Dossena and Padelli

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Real Madrid are blocking Bale's move to China as apparently they are demanding a transfer fee rather than allowing him to move for free.

Although they have every right to be financially rewarded for a player under contract, the way they are getting him out of the club is a disgrace and the least they can do is allow him to move on without a fanfare.

Real Madrid continue to be thundercunts.

Absolutely, I’m not a massive fan of Bale but he’s been treated badly, especially by Zidane, can’t stand him!

There are a lot of “if’s” in the posts so far and our aim should be to get as many of the “if’s” out of the equation to remain as challengers or to go on and be champions.

City attempt to do that by having two players for each position, and paying a shitload in wages to keep those on the bench happy, which of course is where their seemingly unlimited “funding” comes in.

We currently appear to be content to rely on the squad that did so well last season with the addition of potentially very good youngsters, and players either returning from injury or improving their form.

With no injuries, or drop off in form due to being over played, we could repeat last season’s achievements, and the only thing I’d be looking for in that eventuality is what I thought at the start of last season, that we take more points off City than they do off us and that would give us the league title.

That, though, isn’t removing the “if’s” from our particular scenario, and us relying on the above is taking a gamble, and it’s not cry-arsing to have maybe expected us to add to the squad when in the position we found ourselves after Madrid, it’s just being realistic.

In the past we strengthened from a position of strength and we didn’t do so badly by doing that did we?

Klopp might or might not have players in mind to add to the squad and we could still see additions yet, but if we don’t have any additions, and we repeat what we did last season, I’ll be happy with No7, but not finishing a point behind City again when a chance to improve the quality of the squad has been passed over.

Only time will tell though, as ever.

4 hours ago, Thoth said:

Real Madrid acting like cunts towards a cunt by not letting said cunt leave for free so cunt can earn £1 million quid a week ... all cunts together

One for the shitness of modern football thread right there. 

4 hours ago, cloggypop said:

The Rutles got back together. He's not on drums. 

Edit: he fucking well IS on drums. 

http://rutlestour.com/

Must just be a miserable get. 

So think about it. I made my name by 1963 and you think I should still be working in 2019? I was meant have retired and opened a hairdresser. These days of touring and drinking tea were supposed to be behind me. 

4 hours ago, CWD82 said:

Lots of good stuff in here and we’re broadly in agreement. My post was in response to some cry arsing about our rivals strengthening. Some have but not significantly. We agree that we’re the 2nd best team in the country still next season.

I want us to win it but in my eyes the key to that is taking at least 4 points off city ourselves rather than the other way round.

We need a left back to back up Robertson, I think I said that in the original post. I would argue us getting Chamberlain back makes us stronger if he gets back to fitness and we have to let him try to do that. Same way we have to give Keita a go at being the player he’s meant to be.

Brewster if he can sprint is better than Sturridge in my opinion. He was gone at the end. 

The point about the front 3 I also agree with but I don’t see anyone who comes in and sits on the bench. We’re not breaking our transfer record for a back up right winger who is 1/4 of the player Salah is. If Pepe does what Shaqiri did in his last season for Stoke people will say Pepe was a decent signing. We have Shaqiri. We have Origi who has shown improvement and we’re meant to be in for another versatile forward. Get them and we are better than last year.

Beat city at home and get a point away and we’re close to winning it again

I agree. I think we are very likely to be 2nd -although if we lost one of the front 3 for a long period, that'll be different. 

Obviously taking 4 points off city instead of 1 will help. In fact if we'd have taken 2 points off them last season, we'd have won the league. My gut feel is though we won't be anything like that close to them for that to make a difference. In fact my big worry is we'll start the season slowly because of our front 3's summer and we may not catch that back. Our start to the season is tough, city will probably win every match before we meet them. 

I have not studied pre season a lot. Aside from Bradford which I went to, I've mostly watched with 1 eye (or none and only highlights). Up to now I am struggling to understand the Brewster excitement. I am sure we will give him minutes like we did with solanke, I'm expecting about the same level of impact - I can't see he does anything special at all and just looks pretty ordinary. I'm not saying he'll be ordinary all his life, but he just doesn't look like he has the tools now to make any type of impact with the big boys. 

I hate this idea of "someone sits on the bench" when talking about a 4th player for the front 3. Why does nobody talk like this about the 2 Manchester clubs? City started the season with sane looking like a world beater and 1st name on the team sheet last year, by the end of the season, he was probably 6th of their 6. Why can't we have 4 players and pick the 3 that are right each week? There are so many games next season we could have 4 forwards for those 3 positions and they'd still likely start 45 each. For me having the 4th forward of a good quality allows us to rest them when needed to try and keep them fit and most importantly then, when the big games arrive pick the form 3 and still have an option from the bench. What I deffo don't want to see is origi, Brewster, ox or Shaq starting 45 matches in the front 3 this season. I'd be pretty unhappy if they started 45 games between them in the front 3. Ox showed what a good midfielder he was 18 months ago, let's see him there. Shaq showed last season he maybe isn't one or the other for us and the way we play - but it's certain he's not a forward when we play 433, although he looks better when we play 4231.

4 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I understood the connection with missing out on Fekir the point being you never know, maybe we will spend and are waiting and maybe we won’t. We should have built on last season imo. 

Well you say you never know, but we do really. Klopp has told us we got alisson from the coutinho money. He's also told us we don't have big money to spend this summer. We've bought just alisson (not counting kids for minor fees and wages) since the fekir deal fell through and we've raised a decent amount on sales since. Yet we still can't spend now. So I think it's pretty fair to assume had we bought fekir, their was no money for alisson. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

So think about it. I made my name by 1963 and you think I should still be working in 2019? I was meant have retired and opened a hairdresser. These days of touring and drinking tea were supposed to be behind me. 

Ha ha! Boss. 

I know they’re only meaningless pre season friendlies, but one thing I’ve heard in commentary for every game we’ve played is that we’re weeks ahead of the oppositions training yet we’ve been easily outplayed by every team we’ve faced. 

Praying we don’t lose any of our front 3 and the keeper this season as we are one seriously limited team without them.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I told my kids last night I didn't have any money when they asked as they were going out. Really had a little cash in the pocket.

6 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Yeah but did you have to go pick them up when they couldn't afford a taxi? 

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

No man - got an Uber account - but I would have, good kids

Give ‘em some money then, you tight cunt. 

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

I know they’re only meaningless pre season friendlies, but one thing I’ve heard in commentary for every game we’ve played is that we’re weeks ahead of the oppositions training yet we’ve been easily outplayed by every team we’ve faced. 

Praying we don’t lose any of our front 3 and the keeper this season as we are one seriously limited team without them.

We've played a ridiculous formation these past two games. Basically Origi and 5 central midfielders. It's absurd and was never going to work but I assume it's because Klopp wants all of them to be ready so he's just said fuck it, i'll play them all at the same time.

The Dortmund game, we were playing basically a full side and Sevilla we were absolutely terrible but that game ended up being kind of particular. In sum, I wouldn't really worry too much about it. That said, City will absolutely destroy us next weekend, you can just tell. 

Agree with the comment about the ridiculous formations, something approaching a 4-5-1 with Origi as a lone striker and one or two of the midfielders getting forwards, Wijnaldum noticeably against Napoli.

I don’t think these games are meaningless though. The results are, but the games will be used to try systems or players out to find out possibilities going into the season.

Klopp won’t be fooled by the wide open spaces Napoli exploited yesterday, or by Lallana’s lack of impact on the game or by the fact that we seemed to step up a gear when the kids came on, even if we failed to score.

I think he might be settled regarding who might make an impact and who won’t.

We’ll give City a game next week I’m sure, but he and Guardiola will know the real business starts the week after, only then will we also have a better idea of how preseason has really gone.

One of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club? No attempt to leverage our bargaining power as European Champions to take the cream of the available talent. Huge missed opportunity to sign some more options from the bench and really give citeh a run for their money for the title.

No attempt to make a statement signing and scare the pants off everyone else. We've stood still while our immediate rivals have all strengthened. Is it arrogance or frugality? Not sure but it's freaking my fucking nut out.  

Not liking the pre-season shit show either. Yeah fuck it it's just pre-season but it doesn't bode well. Citeh are gonna give it to us next week if we don't turn up. Shit way to start the season if that happens. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Iceman said:

One of the worst transfer windows in the history of the club? No attempt to leverage our bargaining power as European Champions to take the cream of the available talent. Huge missed opportunity to sign some more options from the bench and really give citeh a run for their money for the title.

No attempt to make a statement signing and scare the pants off everyone else. We've stood still while our immediate rivals have all strengthened. Is it arrogance or frugality? Not sure but it's freaking my fucking nut out.  

Not liking the pre-season shit show either. Yeah fuck it it's just pre-season but it doesn't bode well. Citeh are gonna give it to us next week if we don't turn up. Shit way to start the season if that happens. 

We are a player short in the class wide forward position, no doubt about it. 

Too late to do anything about it now though even if we do pull a surprise signing out of the bag. 

I'm sure we'll be fine once all the main men are back but the start of the season could be a bit rough.  As shown by the pre-season games where we're down our three first choice forwards, plus top bench wide man.

Nowhere near the worst transfer window in the history of the club though.  Those are ones where you lose good players and replace them with shite, or make terrible "statements of intent".  That's how you spunk money up the wall and make the team worse.

I was all on board the Pepe train, but he's cost more than Mane + Mo put together - and about a quarter of our whole turnover.  You can see why we didn't go for that, especially if the manager didn't fancy him.  

That's the price of decent forwards now. 

You won't get a Mane or Salah for 35m anymore. 

Klopp saying all will be OK next week when Firmino and Salah are back, he must have forgotten the dozen or so games last season when one or both of them were genuinely dreadful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1