You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The Italian player thing is 100% real. In recent times Darmian and Immobile both failed spectacularly. Jorginho was arguably one of the worst big money flops of last season. There are hardly any examples (outside of Veratti) of current Italian players succeeding at big clubs outside Italy. It's also a fucking nightmare to get rid of them. Remember Balotelli and Aquilani?

I can’t see who has strengthened out of the teams we’re up against.

Where are Arsenal playing Pepe? Front 3 with Lacazette and Aubameyang and they get destroyed in midfield by any team that can counter

United have signed a right back and are selling 2 of their better players in Lukaku and Pogba

Spurs are getting rid of their first choice full backs and signing a centre mid. Nothing ground breaking there, they lost 13 games last season.

Chelsea have lost one of the top 5 players in the league

City have brought a lad in who plays the same position as their most important player

Nothing to worry about from our rivals.

if we can get a back up full back at worst we’ll still be challenging for the league and European cup

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CWD82 said:

Where are Arsenal playing Pepe? Front 3 with Lacazette and Aubameyang and they get destroyed in midfield by any team that can counter

Do we get destroyed on the counter?  Yeah I thought not.  All three of those players are full of running and interchangable.  If Arse get Pepe added to Ceballos and Saliba (if they don't loan him back this year) they'll have a very good starting 11.

Bit of a uncomfortable lean, judging by his arm position. Definitely not his strong suit.

We’re going to have to do something about his hair. It looks like he’s got one of those fake plastic poos sitting on his head.

I badly wanted Pepe, he'd suit us like a dream. Whether we bid for him or not I have no clue, but him going to the arse for 72 million euros, ranks as a free run on a player that will come into an Arsenal attack that will run riot. Whether they can stop their leaky defence remains to be seen. At home they'll be beasts, hopefullt they continue their hopeless away form. Think they'll grab third tbh. I want them relegated, cunt of a club.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mate, just for the Premier League, you could make a convincing all time 11 of players who came from France. Actually here it is;

Henry    Drogba

Hazard                       Kante                            Vieira               Pires/Ben Arfa (can't split them)

Petit                           Gallas                                  Desailly                   Azpilicueta

Cech

Pretty fucking good. If you want some recent players, just off the top of my head you got Bernardo Silva, Fabinho, Mahrez, Lacazette, Payet. I could do this all night. 

Negged for Ben Arfa.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

I badly wanted Pepe, he'd suit us like a dream. Whether we bid for him or not I have no clue, but him going to the arse for 72 million euros, ranks as a free run on a player that will come into an Arsenal attack that will run riot. Whether they can stop their leaky defence remains to be seen. At home they'll be beasts, hopefullt they continue their hopeless away form. Think they'll grab third tbh. I want them relegated, cunt of a club.

I cant believe you're still talking about Pepe when we've just signed Harvey Elliot.

May I be the first to say "never heard of the cunt".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-V said:

Do we get destroyed on the counter?  Yeah I thought not.  All three of those players are full of running and interchangable.  If Arse get Pepe added to Ceballos and Saliba (if they don't loan him back this year) they'll have a very good starting 11.

You're missing the point I’m trying to make J-V.

You are correct we don’t get done on the counter but our keeper, backline and midfield are miles better than Arsenal. I’ll even say Gomez, Lovren, Keita, Milner and Chamberlain (our back ups arguably) are all better than any of Arsenal’s starters in their positions.

None of their front 3 get in our team like for like either by the way.

They’re a shit show of a team. They haven’t got the platform in defence or midfield to play that front 3

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CWD82 said:

United have signed a right back and are selling 2 of their better players in Lukaku and Pogba

Spurs are getting rid of their first choice full backs and signing a centre mid. Nothing ground breaking there, they lost 13 games last season.

Chelsea have lost one of the top 5 players in the league

City have brought a lad in who plays the same position as their most important player

Nothing to worry about from our rivals.

if we can get a back up full back at worst we’ll still be challenging for the league and European cup

No point talking about city in some ways, they've got an outstanding squad and anything they buy at the moment is to bring some depth in the position they have and allow for some continuity as the some of their players are getting the wrong side of 30. It's pretty fair to assume though, they've made par high 90s points and I see no reason why they won't go there again, so unless you're happy not challenging for the league, high 90s is the target. 

I don't care about any of those behind us right now. I think your assesment makes their changes appear in the most negative light you could paint them. But as far as I'm concerned, they're not city's business, so they shouldn't be ours. None of those sides will beat 90 points. 

So what it all comes down to for me, is what we can do. Can we be as competitive on the league as last year? Well a simplistic view is yes as we've held together the first XI. However, there are more factors. Our forwards have only just stopped playing. They will likely struggle early on. We had that issue to some extent last year, but sturridge started the season well and was able to do his only work during that spell. This year we're to rely on someone who's never played 1st team football or origi. We've also lost cover at left back. I'm not arsed Moreno is gone, we should have shifted him years before, but why shouldn't we replace him in the squad? Then there's the fixture list. We're guaranteed to play 50 matches this season if we don't win 1 cup game. That's harder than last year, with a slightly thinner and more tired squad. Then what if we actually managed to win some domestic cup games? That's more pressure on the squad right there. 

For me the squad at best is the same as last year, but with the impact of the summer on our forwards and letting sturridge go, I think we're a bit behind. And the season is going to be tougher. And now we're European champions, maybe more of a scalp and games getting more difficult. 

So here's the thing for me. If you're happy with something in the top 4 and if things our way a decent CL run, then not adding to the squad I think is fine. If we've any real aspirations of winning the league, we should add to the squad. Personally I think we're settling for the former. 

• Upvote 10

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Agree with Barry in the main, but I still think we’ll do something in the transfer market.

Why would you think that? 

Klopp has done about 4/5 interviews now saying we won't buy anyone? 

3 hours ago, CWD82 said:

None of their front 3 get in our team like for like either by the way.

Agreed.

None of their front three has anything like the workrate ours do - that is not something you learn.

We dont get done often because Firmino and Mane track back like madmen and are two of the best in the world at regaining possession.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

No point talking about city in some ways, they've got an outstanding squad and anything they buy at the moment is to bring some depth in the position they have and allow for some continuity as the some of their players are getting the wrong side of 30. It's pretty fair to assume though, they've made par high 90s points and I see no reason why they won't go there again, so unless you're happy not challenging for the league, high 90s is the target. 

I don't care about any of those behind us right now. I think your assesment makes their changes appear in the most negative light you could paint them. But as far as I'm concerned, they're not city's business, so they shouldn't be ours. None of those sides will beat 90 points. 

So what it all comes down to for me, is what we can do. Can we be as competitive on the league as last year? Well a simplistic view is yes as we've held together the first XI. However, there are more factors. Our forwards have only just stopped playing. They will likely struggle early on. We had that issue to some extent last year, but sturridge started the season well and was able to do his only work during that spell. This year we're to rely on someone who's never played 1st team football or origi. We've also lost cover at left back. I'm not arsed Moreno is gone, we should have shifted him years before, but why shouldn't we replace him in the squad? Then there's the fixture list. We're guaranteed to play 50 matches this season if we don't win 1 cup game. That's harder than last year, with a slightly thinner and more tired squad. Then what if we actually managed to win some domestic cup games? That's more pressure on the squad right there. 

For me the squad at best is the same as last year, but with the impact of the summer on our forwards and letting sturridge go, I think we're a bit behind. And the season is going to be tougher. And now we're European champions, maybe more of a scalp and games getting more difficult. 

So here's the thing for me. If you're happy with something in the top 4 and if things our way a decent CL run, then not adding to the squad I think is fine. If we've any real aspirations of winning the league, we should add to the squad. Personally I think we're settling for the former. 

The season will come down to the front three staying fit. If that ends up being the case, Keita improving to the level he's capable of playing at and Chamberlain playing something close to a full season improves our squad from last season.

Those two were non-entities last season but both offer the creativity, dribbling and drive that our regular midfield of Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson don't offer. If those two play at a good level, we'll be flying.