You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, aws said:

It's not just about buying players, you have to keep the key players you have.  Which has meant big new contracts all round and I expect that's where this year's pot has gone.  

You keep your key players by continuing to challenge for trophies as well. If you don't they fuck off. 

Thankfully we have the best manager in the world that is hugely overachieving but with most other managers if you have transfer windows, from our position, where you don't strengthen you go backwards.

FSG struck gold with Klopp. Best manager in the world and he seems happy to trade off spending like his rivals for time. Time to do things at his own pace.

2 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

But lost 13 games in the league. 

Honestly, if you offered me that right now, lose 13 league games but play in a champions league final for the third year in a row - I would probably take it. 

That being said, I don’t think we’ll lose 13 games in the league. 

I suppose it's to be expected but the reactions in here are quite a bit over the top.

I think it's pretty clear to any objective observer that we got a bit fortunate last season to get to 97 points. The last-minute winners against Everton & Spurs, quite a few more set-piece goals than you'd expect, our full-backs both getting into double-figures in assists ... it's probably not going to be repeated. And it's going to be really painful to watch us get, say, 88 points and for this entire forum to act like it's a total meltdown and a "failure of the owners to invest" or something rather than just plain variance bringing us back to earth.

I agree that we should have been looking to bring in another wide player better than Shaqiri or Origi, because it's unlikely we'll get so lucky with the health of our front 3 again, but I kind of sympathise with Edwards. It's not as if players like Mane or Salah grow on trees. And I can easily see the argument that the difference between Nicolas Pepe and some combination of Shaqiri & Brewster is only 2 points/season or something, hardly the kind of thing you'd spend 70m and 160k/week on.

Honestly, if he thinks we have a serious chance at someone really, really good, someone who can seriously move the needle on our odds of winning the title, but they won't be available until next summer and even then only if we save our pennies, well, then I'm all for it. I reckon we go into this season with maybe a 15-20% chance of winning the league.

So if we think that we could get Sancho or Mbappe or whomever next summer, and they might boost that by 10%, but we can only do it if we save the cash this summer, then so be it. It's hardly as if the European Champions are going to fall off a cliff, as we don't have any players in serious age decline and we haven't sold anyone important. Who knows? We might even get lucky and get over 90 points again, and then all it would take would be an unexpected slump for City and we're watching Hendo lift the league trophy in May.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I suppose it's to be expected but the reactions in here are quite a bit over the top.

I think it's pretty clear to any objective observer that we got a bit fortunate last season to get to 97 points. The last-minute winners against Everton & Spurs, quite a few more set-piece goals than you'd expect, our full-backs both getting into double-figures in assists ... it's probably not going to be repeated. And it's going to be really painful to watch us get, say, 88 points and for this entire forum to act like it's a total meltdown and a "failure of the owners to invest" or something rather than just plain variance bringing us back to earth.

I agree that we should have been looking to bring in another wide player better than Shaqiri or Origi, because it's unlikely we'll get so lucky with the health of our front 3 again, but I kind of sympathise with Edwards. It's not as if players like Mane or Salah grow on trees. And I can easily see the argument that the difference between Nicolas Pepe and some combination of Shaqiri & Brewster is only 2 points/season or something, hardly the kind of thing you'd spend 70m and 160k/week on.

Honestly, if he thinks we have a serious chance at someone really, really good, someone who can seriously move the needle on our odds of winning the title, but they won't be available until next summer and even then only if we save our pennies, well, then I'm all for it. I reckon we go into this season with maybe a 15-20% chance of winning the league.

So if we think that we could get Sancho or Mbappe or whomever next summer, and they might boost that by 10%, but we can only do it if we save the cash this summer, then so be it. It's hardly as if the European Champions are going to fall off a cliff, as we don't have any players in serious age decline and we haven't sold anyone important. Who knows? We might even get lucky and get over 90 points again, and then all it would take would be an unexpected slump for City and we're watching Hendo lift the league trophy in May.

If we get Sancho or Mbappe next year , which is highly unlikely, we will lose one of Salah or Mane. And you can quote me on that!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Pick a side you shithouse.

• Upvote 2

Barcelona have tried for years to sign Verratti from PSG and every attempt has been thwarted, likewise their attempts to sign Neymar this summer. The idea that PSG would let a French superstar - who will become the best player in the world when Ronaldo and Messi decline - move to us, is about as plausible as us signing Messi himself. His contract runs out in 2022. Unless he leaves on a free and we are the best club in world football at the time - and Jurgen agrees a new deal - then it's just not going to enter into the realms of possibility. Sancho is plausible though.

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

Barcelona have tried for years to sign Verratti from PSG and every attempt has been thwarted, likewise their attempts to sign Neymar this summer. The idea that PSG would let a French superstar - who will become the best player in the world when Ronaldo and Messi decline - move to us, is about as plausible as us signing Messi himself. His contract runs out in 2022. Unless he leaves on a free and we are the best club in world football at the time - and Jurgen agrees a new deal - then it's just not going to enter into the realms of possibility. Sancho is plausible though.

We are now 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I didn't come on her to read about transfer strategy or to be fucked at. I came on her to read about sexy transfer rumours. 

Sports Witness (no, I don’t know who they are either) say we are one of several clubs who’ve reached agreement with Lille for Pepe.