You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 hours ago, Boss said:

It is sustainable, and has to be sustainable in this current market. The club made £250m from TV revenue last season and recorded profits of £125m for the last financial year. That's not even taking into account the CL win. City have spent £81m and will spend more. United will spend £200m plus - even Spurs will spend over 100m. 

If we refuse to spend 70m on a player, count this trophy as an anomaly because bog average players are going for 80-90m in this market and it'll only increase.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not moaning. I think we're in a good position - even if we don't sign anyone. However, we'd be in a better position if we reinforced because there's no margin for error next season. The entire front three have spent pre season going far in the ACON and the Copa. They will get injured next season without adequate rotation. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Also it's gross negligence not to bolster the left back position in case an injury to Robertson derails us. Players like Tierney and Sessegnon are going for £20-£25m. You can't say we don't have the money to bring in a player like that.

We made 125m pre tax.  We made 106m after tax.  In that 125m was 124m we made on profit on disposal of players registrations.  It’s not hard to guess what that is.  The amortisation of players registrations went up 20m.  It’s more difficult to say what that is as Virg will only have accounted for about a quarter of that you would guess.

Without selling Coutinho we probably would have made a loss.  The numbers are there in black and white but it’s more than that.  We can’t afford to be buying 70m players every year.  Even more so because every time you spend big the cost goes up the next time.  You see it with United and City and even though they’ve got a lot more money than us they are both turning their noses up at the prices of players now.  You need to pick your moments and the club seem to feel like now isn’t the time.  I’m not saying we should never buy 70m players but doing it every year just isn’t sustainable.  We’ve spent a lot recently so they’re obviously stopping for a season to assess what’s going on.

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

We made 125m pre tax.  We made 106m after tax.  In that 125m was 124m we made on profit on disposal of players registrations.  It’s not hard to guess what that is.  The amortisation of players registrations went up 20m.  It’s more difficult to say what that is as Virg will only have accounted for about a quarter of that you would guess.

Without selling Coutinho we probably would have made a loss.  The numbers are there in black and white but it’s more than that.  We can’t afford to be buying 70m players every year.  Even more so because every time you spend big the cost goes up the next time.  You see it with United and City and even though they’ve got a lot more money than us they are both turning their noses up at the prices of players now.  You need to pick your moments and the club seem to feel like now isn’t the time.  I’m not saying we should never buy 70m players but doing it every year just isn’t sustainable.  We’ve spent a lot recently so they’re obviously stopping for a season to assess what’s going on.

So, to buy quality, we have to sell quality. We've spent a lot because we sold big.

How many times have we been here before.

One or two quality signings makes us. Standing still doesn't.

We're going into next season more depleted than we were last season, and that's without Mane's 13 month season, and that's also praying Mo or Bobby don't break down. And lets not forget the "industrious" midfield we have. Or short of cover at full back.

It's crap. We should be buying AT LEAST one quality signing. You don't stand still.

It's bollocks, and unfortunately we've been here before.

Our competitors have strengthened, and we're sitting on our hands. 

2 minutes ago, aws said:

It's not just about buying players, you have to keep the key players you have.  Which has meant big new contracts all round and I expect that's where this year's pot has gone.  

But we're worse off going into this season than we were last.

I know we're not minted, but really.

Just now, Bogman said:

How exactly are we worse off?  Mane, Keita and Shaqiri might miss a couple of games but the squad is just as strong, if not stronger, than last year.  Ox, Gomez and Brewster being fit should count for more than the loss of Sturridge and Moreno.  

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

27 years old on now very high wages. We wouldn't want to be paying what he's currently getting into his 30's on top of a massive transfer fee. We've never made that kind of signing, It's just not good business.

Exactly. It’s completely against the clubs strategy to make those kind of signings. If people disagree, fair enough, but strange that so many still seem to be surprised by it.

1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Ok, I'll twist that around. Are we better off then?

A bit, yes.  Squad strength is maybe slightly better and the age of all of our players bar Milner suggests that they should be capable of either improving or at least sustaining the same level of performance.  Plus they won't have that monkey of not winning anything on their backs. 

Obviously I'd be happier with another attacker and full back to balance the squad better but overall we're better off than we have been since the late 80s so I'm feeling positive.  If it wasn't for the fact that we're competing with an oil-state with limitless resources I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So are we all in agreement then? That the strategy seems to be picking up the likes of Salah, turning them into world beaters, getting three seasons out of them and flogging them for the next round of transfers?

This is Mané's 4th season, Firmino's 5th. Coutinho was also here for 5.

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones with the help of the incoming funds, not sure why this needs to be explained.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aws said:

A bit, yes.  Squad strength is maybe slightly better and the age of all of our players bar Milner suggests that they should be capable of either improving or at least sustaining the same level of performance.  Plus they won't have that monkey of not winning anything on their backs. 

Obviously I'd be happier with another attacker and full back to balance the squad better but overall we're better off than we have been since the late 80s so I'm feeling positive.  If it wasn't for the fact that we're competing with an oil-state with limitless resources I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.  

Players improving. Yup, no problem.

Last season is gone. History.

But, we need to keep evolving. We don't need to rip it up and start again. 

Just a tweek here or there.

Not bothered about which team buys who. I'm bothered about that it looks like we can't out lay on quality, without selling first.

Our actual outlay on players over the last few years isn't where a club of our standing should be.

As of numerous occasions with us, we've the chance to really push on, yet we seem like we're happy standing still.

I don't really understand how anyone can be that happy if we don't improve on what we have.

Doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Players improving. Yup, no problem.

Last season is gone. History.

But, we need to keep evolving. We don't need to rip it up and start again. 

Just a tweek here or there.

Not bothered about which team buys who. I'm bothered about that it looks like we can't out lay on quality, without selling first.

Our actual outlay on players over the last few years isn't where a club of our standing should be.

As of numerous occasions with us, we've the chance to really push on, yet we seem like we're happy standing still.

I don't really understand how anyone can be that happy if we don't improve on what we have.

Doesn't make sense.

Spot on.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones, not sure why this needs to be explained.

So the Arsenal model more or less. In that scenario, you are never improving, you are just doing a slight reboot every few years. Not a great long term strategy imho.

And what if Klopp goes and doesn't extend his contract? What then? because that type of model relies on someone like him to squeeze what he can out of it.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If they want to leave at some point, as Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling et. al did, then yes the money will be used to buy new players. That's how transfers work, you sell players when they want to go and buy new ones, not sure why this needs to be explained.

And why would you want to get rid of those players off the back of them being here a for a few seasons anyway?

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It makes me laugh how some of our supporters 'worry' over spending too much on a player, like as if its their own cash. 

The money people pay for tickets that goes to the club is, so yes it is. 

42 minutes ago, Bogman said:

Can't get my head round that shit.  We're going into this season as European Champions, justifiably so too.

How the fuck are we worse ?

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So the Arsenal model more or less. In that scenario, you are never improving, you are just doing a slight reboot every few years. Not a great long term strategy imho.

And what if Klopp goes and doesn't extend his contract? What then? because that type of model relies on someone like him to squeeze what he can out of it.

He's here for 3 more years. Plenty of time for some kind of succession plan. No need to shit yourself just yet.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

And why would you want to get rid of those players off the back of them being here a for a few seasons anyway?

If players want to leave, they will eventually get their wish. No one is pushing them out, they do what they want and it's extremely stupid to keep players who want to leave.

In any case, the value of our top players has risen so much they are basically un-buyable for any fee that could be considered remotely reasonable. No one is going anywhere but if they want to force themselves out at one point, life goes on.

2 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Can't get my head round that shit.  We're going into this season as European Champions, justifiably so too.

How the fuck are we worse ?

Wouldn't say we are worse...but we won a knockout competition and come close in the league. i can't see us getting that points haul again unless teams around us have a significant dip again and City have a slow start (unlikely).

We won the CL, but it was on a knifes edge in the semi. One Barca goal and we were out. Its almost unheard of.

• Downvote 2