You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

50 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

So Clyne is out for 6 months, Lallana is just Lallana and now Ox is struggling with a calf injury to get to level he wants to according to Klopp, if we don’t sign anyone then the club needs their fucking head read, it’s an opportunity to kick on not fall back, utter madness.

Yup. I've been in rant mode this week like and probably too angry but absolutely agree with this. Its ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It will be very disappointing if we don’t buy anyone. That said, I agree with Klopp outlook on players. Buy the right ones for the fee that makes sense at the time. Don’t buy for the sake of buying. Hopefully we bring in some quality before the end of the window. 

I don't get this reasoning. Who are the right ones? Even if you identify the right players at the right price theres no guarantees. Similarly you could get someone in as a stopgap and he could make a name for himself. I believe Robertson was like that.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I don't get this reasoning. Who are the right ones?

The players the manager thinks can improve his team and squad without disrupting the flow of current players he likes or the progress of young players he wants to develop and who are available at a price that he seems acceptable for the level of improvement they bring. He has spoken bout this at length multiple times, mate; if you watch it you’ll get the reasoning. 

You don't get the reasoning behind buying the right players at the right price. I guess this is probably a fundamental disagreement, because the only other combinations of that are the wrong player at the right price, the right player at the wrong price, or the wrong player at the wrong price. Whichever way you want it, the manager doesn’t seem to agree with any of those, so I guess you’re going to have to put up with our unbuilt squad of European Champions, whilst watching from the Main Stand that wasn’t developed. Bad times. 

49 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

so I guess you’re going to have to put up with our unbuilt squad of European Champions, whilst watching from the Main Stand that wasn’t developed. Bad times. 

Oh bore off you whopper. This line of thinking is why we've largely remained off the top of the ladder for nigh on 30 years.

The European Cup is over now, its finished. That season is done.

• Downvote 7

16 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh bore off you whopper. This line of thinking is why we've largely remained off the top of the ladder for nigh on 30 years.

The European Cup is over now, its finished. That season is done.

Yes, that’s right. Not buying the right players at the right price is the reason we’ve been playing ff the ladder. Good one. Shut up and buy Carroll. Shut up and buy Benteke. 

Cunt. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, that’s right. Not buying the right players at the right price is the reason we’ve been playing ff the ladder. Good one. Shut up and buy Carroll. Shut up and buy Benteke. 

Cunt. 

:D

Ah right, better not buy anyone ever again unless they are meticulous because we got stung on some bad buys. Do you even know how football works? Nothing is guaranteed.

The reason the club stresses not making the wrong buys has nothing to do with Klopp but everything to do with american businessmen. They hate transfer fees. Its completely alien to them, it feels like doubling their outlay. Its a system alien to their sports culture.

Rightly or wrongly, this 'European Cup winning" side and Jurgen will be judged on this season alone. I hope he's made the right decisions, because right now it looks like we are relying heavily on fortune shining again.

• Downvote 2

FSG are suddenly getting tight just when the money is rolling in? Come on you cunts, get your fingers out. There is no way we should be relying on crocks like Lallana, Clyne and Ox as squad options, or a kid like Brewster. We need proper cover at left back and right back, a proper playmaker in midfield and a viable option to play up front. Start spending the money that's burning a hole in our pocket.

5 hours ago, The Guest said:

Signing 60/70m players every summer isn’t sustainable.  The thing is when you do that the price just keeps going up as do the wages as well.  After spending a lot in the last 18 months the club have decided to put the brakes on to stop clubs thinking they can take the piss.  Everyone has been sucking Edwards off for how well we have done in the transfer market in and out.  It reminds me of a quote from Jack from Lost.  “Everybody wants me to be the leader until I make a decision they don’t like.”

Klopp spoke ages ago about packing it in if he ever had to spend 100m on a player.  He’s since said that club had to then convince him to spend big money on Virg and Alisson because that’s how it is now and we would get left behind if we didn’t.  He couldn’t be making things clearer.  Talking about the long term and how just signing quick fixes and players they haven’t thoroughly scouted because they’re the latest flavour in the newspapers isn’t his style and never has been.

The owners, Edwards and Klopp are clearly all on the same page.  We’ve just won the fucking European Cup.  Klopp has been here for nearly 4 years and is signed up for another 3 but that’s somehow a sign he’s not sticking around.  Jesus fucking christ.

It is sustainable, and has to be sustainable in this current market. The club made £250m from TV revenue last season and recorded profits of £125m for the last financial year. That's not even taking into account the CL win. City have spent £81m and will spend more. United will spend £200m plus - even Spurs will spend over 100m. 

If we refuse to spend 70m on a player, count this trophy as an anomaly because bog average players are going for 80-90m in this market and it'll only increase.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not moaning. I think we're in a good position - even if we don't sign anyone. However, we'd be in a better position if we reinforced because there's no margin for error next season. The entire front three have spent pre season going far in the ACON and the Copa. They will get injured next season without adequate rotation. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Also it's gross negligence not to bolster the left back position in case an injury to Robertson derails us. Players like Tierney and Sessegnon are going for £20-£25m. You can't say we don't have the money to bring in a player like that.

• Upvote 1

I don't get Klopp's reluctance to spend. He shot down the Coutinho rumours yesterday on cost grounds. 

He would have been a great option to have back imo. He had better get a full back in or I'll be sending a strongly worded letter to Melwood using a first class stamp.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Same sort of gross negligence people called waiting for Van Dijk or a different sort? 

Err no, they called us getting threatened with a transfer ban for tapping up Van Dijk in the summer gross negligence. I don't remember anybody saying signing Van Dijk was gross negligence. 

23 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I don't get Klopp's reluctance to spend. He shot down the Coutinho rumours yesterday on cost grounds. 

He would have been a great option to have back imo. He had better get a full back in or I'll be sending a strongly worded letter to Melwood using a first class stamp.

27 years old on now very high wages. We wouldn't want to be paying what he's currently getting into his 30's on top of a massive transfer fee. We've never made that kind of signing, It's just not good business.

35 minutes ago, magicrat said:

So you reckon that's 100% on the boss then, do you...........................

Better get writing that letter then. Post it to FSG..............

58 minutes ago, Boss said:

Err no, they called us getting threatened with a transfer ban for tapping up Van Dijk in the summer gross negligence. I don't remember anybody saying signing Van Dijk was gross negligence. 

Errrrr... No. They called us not signing somebody else gross negligence. Waiting for the right player was negligent.