You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I don’t know the figures involved so am taking a shot in the dark here, but surely if you know you’re going to have to renew contracts to keep the playing side ticking the boxes for sponsors, fans etc., you will do that not taking into account that you might win a major title, I.e. the Champions League, because that’s an intangible income until it happens.

You can factor in a top four finish with reasonable expectation, extra TV money to an extent, and sponsorships similarly because they are “known” income.

Barry has stated it was known a while ago that we’d not go big this closed season because of the contract renewals so that would appear to be the case.

If that’s so, then the fact that we’ve won the CL, would mean that whatever the all or part of the value of that could/should be reinvested in the squad to improve it’s effectiveness and have a better shot at the league without adversely affecting the projected finances.

Which, I would think, would boost the coffers massively if it were to happen.

Speculate to accumulate as it were.

Of course the amount gained for winning the CL might not be massive compared to the cost of a game changing player but there has to be a gamble taken now and again surely?

It’s not like we’re going to do a Leeds, and I would think there’d be at least a couple of players Klopp might like to bring in, given the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I would say we don't need someone who is world class today, we need a youngish and hungry player who is better at football by a reasonable amount than origi and we can improve him and make him into world class. Salah, mane and firmino were not world class when we bought them, although because we weren't as good walked right into the team. We should be shooting for someone who is at their level when we bought them, they will get plenty of games. 

Yeah, except, as you yourself alluded to, this is a market in which Tyrone Mings cost 20m. So where are you going to find a "youngish hungry player who is better at football by a reasonable amount than Origi" that is available for reasonable money? The answer is that no such player exists because there are two markets; young, cheap and unproven, which of course you wouldn't be satisfied with and it's not a clear improvement on what we have, or the high end market, which is 50-60m minimum. It's not that easy. Again, I'd pay the money but I'm not the accountant of Liverpool. 

The other side is that Newcastle will pay 35m for a striker called Joelinton. He scored 7 goals last season in the Bundesliga. That's what we're dealing with if you want a decent young player with a bit of experience. 

58 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, except, as you yourself alluded to, this is a market in which Tyrone Mings cost 20m. So where are you going to find a "youngish hungry player who is better at football by a reasonable amount than Origi" that is available for reasonable money? The answer is that no such player exists because there are two markets; young, cheap and unproven, which of course you wouldn't be satisfied with and it's not a clear improvement on what we have, or the high end market, which is 50-60m minimum. It's not that easy. Again, I'd pay the money but I'm not the accountant of Liverpool. 

The other side is that Newcastle will pay 35m for a striker called Joelinton. He scored 7 goals last season in the Bundesliga. That's what we're dealing with if you want a decent young player with a bit of experience. 

It's the same argument that Ferguson used when he baulked at paying £30m for Eden Hazard. The market will continue to increase. You either refuse to accept it and let the team deteriorate or you accept it and make the best deals you can.

12 minutes ago, Boss said:

It's the same argument that Ferguson used when he baulked at paying £30m for Eden Hazard. The market will continue to increase. You either refuse to accept it and let the team deteriorate or you accept it and make the best deals you can.

No it isn't. I'm in favour of paying up for players like Ousmane Dembele and Pepe, players of obvious quality who are just entering or will soon enter their primes. That's what Hazard was at the time. 

It's the mid tier market of players in the 20-40m range that is bad right now because the minute a player has a decent season, they enter that price point. You aren't going to find a Mohamed Salah who scored 19 goals for Roma at the age of 25 for 35m anymore. If that player existed, we'd be in for him, but he doesn't.  

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Lovren was linked with Milan, Mignolet could have been sold to Palace and we could have tried to get rid of Lallana. With those three gone, that would be 300k a week saved on wages, yet Klopp is insisting on making them all stay.

So even if what you're saying is correct, Klopp is still making the decisions about how he wants his squad to look.

How do you know its Klopp insisting they stay?

No one is gonna buy any of them because we handed them all stupidly big fat contracts to preserve their book value that no one else can afford. 

They will all leave for a free when their contracts end

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

My point about the forward is I think we need one and I see no logical reason why we can't afford one. We made 100m profit last year after coming runners up in the CL, I see no reason why it won't be similar this year. We have brought in some reasonable funds from solanke, Ings, Camacho and the loan fee for gruic. I don't think we'll buy one, as I don't think we'll pay the 120k per week or so that type of player would likely demand, it doesn't mean that's the right choice though. 

3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Fuck me, I'm a pessimist but one pre-season defeat and they're starting with this shit already!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49023743

Well yeah, most teams don't have any HYS, so they to get at least two out of us. I think the best traffic they get is from giving people a risk-free place to circulate bullshit about heysel.

4 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Liverpool are closing in on a deal to sign for France U19 international Enzo Valentim, according to the latest reports. 

We have been rebuilt from de facto bankruptcy to champions of Europe in under ten years, turning healthy profits, paying world record fees for top players, enjoying our best league campaign ever, playing fantastically entertaining football for the most part, expanding Anfield, building a great new training complex, and still managed to play by the rules and remain FFP compliant. It's a bloody marvellous feat by FSG, and if they are solely driven by financial gain, then I hope for our sake that never changes.

• Upvote 15

5 minutes ago, 05 Milan said:

We have been rebuilt from de facto bankruptcy to champions of Europe in under ten years, turning healthy profits, paying world record fees for top players, enjoying our best league campaign ever, playing fantastically entertaining football for the most part, expanding Anfield, building a great new training complex, and still managed to play by the rules and remain FFP compliant. It's a bloody marvellous feat by FSG, and if they are solely driven by financial gain, then I hope for our sake that never changes.

Amen to that

31 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Well that didn't take long

Screenshot_20190720_214647_com.android.chrome.jpg

Should I start a welcome to Liverpool thread or should that be left to Captain Turdseye? 

28 minutes ago, 05 Milan said:

Yeah but, apart from that, what have they done for us? 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, 05 Milan said:

Shill. 

12 hours ago, 05 Milan said:

It wasn't a real bankruptcy though was it. They paid the cost of the club and took the operating debt, which was next to nothing. All the real debt was left with hicks and gillett. It's no amazing feat at all, it would have been had they been saddled with all of the debts, but the courts saw that wasn't legitimate . It was an amazing deal they got the club for. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but I dont think we’ll sign anyone this season, the way Klopp talks about Sancho I recon he’s gonna go all out next summer to sign him, might be wrong but he’s obviously a big fan of him.

I think it's obvuous we're keeping our powder dry until next year when the Nike money kicks in. I wouldn't be surprised if Nike had offered us an incentive to hold off until it's their name on the kit at the unveiling. I agree with Sancho too.

That being said I can see a lot of sense in making a couple of big moves every alternate season and then spreding £30m across 5 or 6 brilliant 16 year olds in the other seasons. The way the market is moving it'd pay to be the smartest spenders instead of the biggest.

The Echo need to put their cocks away though.

Thank you Mr Hedge Fund, sir, for seeing a gift of an investment opportunity and saving us. 

*doffs cap*

Said it before and I’ll say it again. While their interests and ours align, fine. But trust them - nah. As a football fan you’d be stupid to trust any owner these days.

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Defo something big happening with Nike in terms of a transfer, hopefully Mbappe.

massive shout but why not.....

Is this the Twitter formed plan known as Project M’bappe, whereby we pay £200k per week wages and Nike pay him £200k per week sponsorship which reduces any yearly kit deal we have, thereby keeping half of his wages off the books for FFP purposes?

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Thank you Mr Hedge Fund, sir, for seeing a gift of an investment opportunity and saving us. 

*doffs cap*

Said it before and I’ll say it again. While their interests and ours align, fine. But trust them - nah. As a football fan you’d be stupid to trust any owner these days.

THEY SAVED US YOU UNGRATEFUL SWINE!