You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If we'd have won the league, champions League and the domestic cups, we should still be looking to improve. It's the very basics of all sport. As soon as you think you've cracked it and there's no way to improve, you're already being caught up by your rivals, as they'll all be striving to improve. 

There are different ways to improve.  It's not all about signing new players.  TAA was an improvement on Clyne, maybe Brewster will be an improvement on Sturridge. 

With the trophy monkey off our backs the players will go into the new season full of confidence.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TK421 said:

There are different ways to improve.  It's not all about signing new players.  TAA was an improvement on Clyne, maybe Brewster will be an improvement on Sturridge. 

With the trophy monkey off our backs the players will go into the new season full of confidence.

I would say after the time here klopp has had, he is squeezing as much as he can out of nearly all our players. I agree some youngsters have got scope to improve, just as some older players like milner and lovren have plenty of scope to go backwards. And Brewster is a complete unknown, he's never played a match. 

As for "full of confidence" nonsense. We weren't a team short of confidence and Salah and mane will come back from afcon with losing hangovers using your logic. Winning trophies does not always equate to moving forward, in fact I think studies have shown it is more likely to bring the feeling of "I've achieved now" and some desire just drops off - not just football, but all sport. That's what was so incredible about both Paisley's time with us and through gritted teeth Ferguson at old Trafford. Both were famous of strengthening the team from winning positions. Once you'd won, it was behind you and then it was all about how to get better. We shouldn't exclude buying players because it's tough or expensive. Well we shouldn't if we want to improve. We should look to gain every advantage we can, just as we did last season with a throw in coach. No stone should remain unturned in the quest for continuous improvement. 

I don't think it's too tough to improve this squad. There's obvious gaps at full back. I can't believe there's nobody out there who isn't better than some kids or milner. Unless of course we want to use Gomez, but then if that's the case and he has to cover both full backs and have his regulation half season injury, we probably need another centre back, especially with the fitness records of matip and lovren. I also feel pretty certain we could find a forward who is much closer to the level of our front 3 than origi or a kid who's never played a 1st team match. It just doesn't seem that hard. 

• Upvote 4

It’s clearly all down to Klopp.  You can do as much moaning about the club and previous seasons when we finished second but in reality Klopp sees improving and building loyalty with existing players as important if not more important than signing new players.  It’s probably the reason why so many signings have been successful recently.  He signs players when he sees specific needs in the team and even by his own admission had to be forced to “splash the cash” to keep up with city.  The incessant whinging from people despite him winning the European Cup is laughable.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Arl arse said:

We’re great at getting in to promising positions then pissing it away patting ourselves on the back for a job well done, instead of realising that the job has really only just begun.

Feels like the exact same scenario and the exact same mistakes from when we were last European Champions. 

Being The Champions of Europe is the base camp, not the summit - this is where you lay the foundations for an era of domination.

Agree with your point that we should build from here, strengthen the squad and the first 11 if possible. 

But comparing the situation to 2005 makes no sense what so ever.

7 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It’s clearly all down to Klopp.  You can do as much moaning about the club and previous seasons when we finished second but in reality Klopp sees improving and building loyalty with existing players as important if not more important than signing new players.  It’s probably the reason why so many signings have been successful recently.  He signs players when he sees specific needs in the team and even by his own admission had to be forced to “splash the cash” to keep up with city.  The incessant whinging from people despite him winning the European Cup is laughable.

So here's a genuine question. If you think klopp was told money is no object he would not try to sign someone? I find that a bemusing standpoint. Of course he's buy, like he has every summer as a manager. 

All his comments to not strengthening relate to the fact we can't afford to - we've done it last year and now that cycle is over. As I have mentioned on here before, I was told last autumn the shop was closed this year without a big sale, because this summer's squad objective is to lower the wage bill. Klopp is the kind of guy who is more than happy to work within those types of constraints because he's worked like that at his previous 2 clubs. We're lucky to have klopp, but it doesn't mean he isn't working without tight financial constraints. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

So here's a genuine question. If you think klopp was told money is no object he would not try to sign someone? I find that a bemusing standpoint. Of course he's buy, like he has every summer as a manager. 

All his comments to not strengthening relate to the fact we can't afford to - we've done it last year and now that cycle is over. As I have mentioned on here before, I was told last autumn the shop was closed this year without a big sale, because this summer's squad objective is to lower the wage bill. Klopp is the kind of guy who is more than happy to work within those types of constraints because he's worked like that at his previous 2 clubs. We're lucky to have klopp, but it doesn't mean he isn't working without tight financial constraints. 

I think he’d resign.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I mean, this is absurd. Just taking your full back example from a prior post, you really think the reason we haven't signed a backup left back is because we couldn't even afford the 10m fee or whatever little amount that player would cost?

Obviously not. He just doesn't want to sign one at the moment. His mind might change at some point, but it's not because there's no money. 

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

There has to be money available - haven't we just seen record revenues?

If we don't spend money surely it is because Klopp thinks we don't need to, not because the money isn't there or he's been told he can't have any.

The only acceptable reason for there not to be any money available is that they are going to confirm anfield road extension. 

This is peak Liverpool under these owners. I couldn't give a toss about the business side of things as long as we have a healthy cash flow for improving the squad. But the facts are clear - we only spend big after we sell big.

Yet again it feels like a missed opportunity and I only say this because I've seen it so many times before. Theres also a weird self-congratulatory tone coming out of the Club which has never been the Club's attitude. Back in the 70's and 80's the lads were told to forget what had gone before and to get set for the next challenge - usually with a few new faces to keep everyone from getting too complacent.

As for Origi - that just smacks of being cheap. We've been trying to give the lad away for two years and because of a mini flurry of crucial goals, he's now seen as the answer.

And don't get me started on lallana. A good player on his day but he's hardly played for 2 years and Klopp comes out with some bullshit about him being a new signing again. And where was he last night? injured of course.

I like Klopp, but I don't love Klopp. He still has moments that make no sense whatsoever.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

This is peak Liverpool under these owners. I couldn't give a toss about the business side of things as long as we have a healthy cash flow for improving the squad. But the facts are clear - we only spend big after we sell big.

Yet again it feels like a missed opportunity and I only say this because I've seen it so many times before. Theres also a weird self-congratulatory tone coming out of the Club which has never been the Club's attitude. Back in the 70's and 80's the lads were told to forget what had gone before and to get set for the next challenge - usually with a few new faces to keep everyone from getting too complacent.

As for Origi - that just smacks of being cheap. We've been trying to give the lad away for two years and because of a mini flurry of crucial goals, he's now seen as the answer.

And don't get me started on lallana. A good player on his day but he's hardly played for 2 years and Klopp comes out with some bullshit about him being a new signing again. And where was he last night? injured of course.

I like Klopp, but I don't love Klopp. He still has moments that make no sense whatsoever.

And it was all going so well until your last paragraph. 

• Upvote 6

I think the point made above about the self-congratulary tone is a very interesting one. There is definately a lot of that coming through the official channels of the club. Which is nothing more than you could expect these days I suppose, it’s all about the brand and driving up our commercial value.

As said above, in the 80s the tropies were paraded after they were won, and 10 minutes after that they were stuffed away and it was business as usual. These days we parade them around the entire preseason, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it continue into the season as well.

Nothing wrong with all of that, as long as it doesnt affect the decision making on the transfer market, and even more importantly the hunger, desire and motivation of the players and coaching staff to give 100% to improve every single day.