You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

22 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

They got top dollar for Neymar, more than he was worth imo. 800 million is a joke, they could have said 250 million and they'd still struggle to find any takers for a 28 year old Greizmann, probably 30 by the time he might want to leave or others came knocking. Slapping on such unrealistic release clauses is just taking the piss, again imo. If I had been lucky enough to be a professional player and a club wanted to put in such a clause into my contract I'd tell them to fuck off. Mind you, Barcelona would be on a list in my head of Clubs I'd never play for, bunch of cunts. 

Aren't the release clauses linked to salary, contract length and age? So Barca don't dictate the value, there's a set formula for it and a legal requirement in Spain. 

PL RETURN FOR COUTINHO?

Kia Joorabchian speaking to Sky Sports News: “Coutinho has never spoken about leaving. At the moment we are extremely calm and haven’t gone out to get an offer because we’ve been told categorically that he is not for sale. But Liverpool lies very deeply in his heart, he has a strong affinity with the club so it would be difficult for him to go to one of their direct rivals

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, that's probably it. I'm blown away that PSG are willing to sell Neymar. Honestly thought those were just rumours but it seems accurate now.

It makes perfect sense.  He's more trouble than he's worth.  Punches fans, doesn't turn up for training and doesn't want to play for them.

37 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

We should definitely be trying to get him on loan.

We should definitely be getting players in that have the attitude and character to strengthen our team spirit even further. Players on their way up, that are looking for a long career at the Liverpool and fully believe that committing themselves to this club, under this manager, is their best shot at developing into world class players. Players that are suited to our system, with high intensity pressing and extreme movement off the ball.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

It makes perfect sense.  He's more trouble than he's worth.  Punches fans, doesn't turn up for training and doesn't want to play for them.

What surprises me is that both parties are just giving up after two seasons. He's a huge failure if his seasons at PSG are remembered as the guy who dominated Ligue 1 but couldn't stay fit to play in the knockout stages of the Champions League. Thought they would both want one more go to change the story, but it seems not. 

When he's played he is their best and most important player. Better than Mbappe. But he hasn't been fit to play in the biggest games and along with his personality I imagine that is PSG's concern. 

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

We should definitely be getting players in that have the attitude and character to strengthen our team spirit even further. Players on their way up, that are looking for a long career at the Liverpool and fully believe that committing themselves to this club, under this manager, is their best shot at developing into world class players. Players that are suited to our system, with high intensity pressing and extreme movement off the ball.

Is your point that he doesn't fit any of that?

47 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

At least very little of it, if any. Even if I do think he’s a very good player.

I think we have enough evidence to say he can fit into a Klopp team. The other stuff's pretty irrelevant to me.

39 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I think we have enough evidence to say he can fit into a Klopp team. The other stuff's pretty irrelevant to me.

Well, that’s where we disagree then. I think those factors are extremely important, in fact key factors to our current successful transfer strategy. 

• Upvote 1

He was fine in the midfield 3 in the second half of the season under Rodgers in the title run. 

He would be fine in a midfield 3 in many games for us wjen teams sit deep and wait for us to break them down. Not so much against bigger sides or big European games

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He was fine in the midfield 3 in the second half of the season under Rodgers in the title run. 

He would be fine in a midfield 3 in many games for us wjen teams sit deep and wait for us to break them down. Not so much against bigger sides or big European games

It's better to pigeonhole him into a fixed position and stick to that view no matter what. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

What surprises me is that both parties are just giving up after two seasons. He's a huge failure if his seasons at PSG are remembered as the guy who dominated Ligue 1 but couldn't stay fit to play in the knockout stages of the Champions League. Thought they would both want one more go to change the story, but it seems not. 

When he's played he is their best and most important player. Better than Mbappe. But he hasn't been fit to play in the biggest games and along with his personality I imagine that is PSG's concern. 

Let's be honest, he's not a huge failure is he?

He's scored virtually the same amount of goals as games he's played in. He was the best player in the League in 17/18 and was, at worst, the second best player in the games he played this season just gone. He's been unfortunate. Calling him a huge failure is hyperbolic in the extreme. 

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

Let's be honest, he's not a huge failure is he?

He's scored virtually the same amount of goals as games he's played in. He was the best player in the League in 17/18 and was, at worst, the second best player in the games he played this season just gone. He's been unfortunate. 

Rightly or wrongly, no one cares what he's done in Ligue 1 despite the fact he has been ridiculously good in that competition. He went there the 3rd best player in the world, ready to be the man and lead his own team to glory, and instead he's now a pariah.

Expectations are insanely high for him, but he has not met them and his reputation has taken a hit. He'll be remembered there as someone who couldn't stay fit and thought he was bigger than the club. It's a massive failure. 

• Upvote 1

REDS JOIN CHALOV CHASE

Liverpool have entered the race to sign CSKA Moscow striker Fedor Chalov, according to the Daily Mirror.

The 21-year-old, linked with Arsenal, Tottenham and the two Manchester clubs in the Premier League as well as clubs in Germany, Spain and France