You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Wom, WUM or stupid?

If Coutinho's fee is the market rate then the market will pay it again for him 12 months on. He didn't cost us points -- but he didn't score anywhere close to 20 goals in a season. As I said, he's scored more than 10 league goals once in his whole career. He's not in the same galaxy as Salah and Mane. The most bizarre thing about this exchange is why you would think I'd be bitter about a millionaire sportsman choosing to ply his trade in another country .. much less when his leaving led to a 6th European Cup. He was proven to be an expendable flair player who we have thrived without. He's 27 so I doubt there's going to be too much more surprisng to come from him now but let's see.

Coutinho's best season was 2017/18, which he started with a 'bad back', then tried to cry-arse himself a move to Barcelona in August before finally making the switch for a record fee in January. His form for us suggested that he might be on course to get over 20 goals for the season, and this was borne out with the way his goalscoring form carried on at his new club. He scored 22 in 42 at club level, and another 5 in 15 for his country over that 12 month period. We sold at a price that reflected a player very much at the upper end of the various goals and assists tables.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Wom, WUM or stupid?

If Coutinho's fee is the market rate then the market will pay it again for him 12 months on. He didn't cost us points -- but he didn't score anywhere close to 20 goals in a season. As I said, he's scored more than 10 league goals once in his whole career. He's not in the same galaxy as Salah and Mane. The most bizarre thing about this exchange is why you would think I'd be bitter about a millionaire sportsman choosing to ply his trade in another country .. much less when his leaving led to a 6th European Cup. He was proven to be an expendable flair player who we have thrived without. He's 27 so I doubt there's going to be too much more surprisng to come from him now but let's see.

Why would people pay his fee again when he's failed at Barca and wants out himself and Barca fans want rid? His fee was where it was because we played the unwilling seller until we got the fee we wanted. He's had an ordinary 18 months there and wants away and his fee and wages are such, only a small number of clubs could afford him. It's a buyer's market, we sold in a seller's market. 

Lots of fans get bitter about players who leave us. Anyone who can't see why that Barca fee was the going rate is acting bitter imo. 

As for he's not as good as Salah or mane. Maybe he is or maybe he isn't. Imo, they're all wondeful footballers. Salah or mane if sold today though would absolutely command a fee in excess of what we got for coutinho. As I say, some lad who's still waiting to get his first pubes has just joined atleti for 113m euros. The market is mental. 

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Wom, WUM or stupid?

Some nonsense here mate , he's a top player who was getting right into his prime scoring free kicks and goals from outside the box with amazing regularity -  before his head was turned . He joined a club with no patience with both fans and board alike , and that was his downfall . Never was and never will be a 20 goals a season man , its not his thing . To say he's nowhere near the quality of salah and mane is wrong imo . 

Great number 10 but I'm not arsed if he comes back here or not - let Klopp decide that , personally I doubt he'll ever play for us again

Barcelona obviously fucking Atletico over. But I suspect Griezmann, too.

Graham Hunter claims everything was ready to go with the Griezmann transfer, but then Messi demanded that Barcelona re-sign his pal Neymar. Clearly they don't need and can't afford both players. So, it looks like Griezmann has been hung out to dry, having announced his intention to leave Atletico...

16 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Barcelona obviously fucking Atletico over. But I suspect Griezmann, too.

Graham Hunter claims everything was ready to go with the Griezmann transfer, but then Messi demanded that Barcelona re-sign his pal Neymar. Clearly they don't need and can't afford both players. So, it looks like Griezmann has been hung out to dry, having announced his intention to leave Atletico...

They can afford them both by selling Dembele and Coutinho.

Erickson must be off if this is true

Tottenham are in pole position to sign Dani Ceballos, according to reports in Spain.

AS are reporting that Mauricio Pochettino has convinced the Real Madrid midfielder to join his side. 

After winning the U-21 European Championship with, Ceballos reiterated his desire to play regularly at a big club: "I want to play 40 games and be important

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

That Jurgen Head Twitter account has been deactivated so I think its safe to say we won't be signing Bruno Fernandes.

Obviously the club has sent someone round to threaten him with an envelope full of shit because of him revealing all of this serious inside knowledge. 

• Upvote 3

its starting to look like we're not going to do any business in this window.

I think the great Bob Paisley used to say, the quickest way to go backwards was to stand still. Well, its beginning to look a little bit like that.

no denying we have a brilliant team, but there's always room for improvements. Always!!

• Upvote 1

REDS CONCERNED OVER ADEKANYE MOVE

Liverpool have raised concerns with FIFA that 20-year-old Bobby Adekanye had been tapped up ahead of his move to Lazio. 

FIFA rules state that Clubs are not allowed to talk to players under the age of 23 in the final six months of their contract. As yet it is unclear whether or not FIFA feel there is a case to answer