You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Marco Reus is the perfect player for our squad right now. Dortmund have spent big this summer, Hazard and Brandt have been brought in and Sancho is staying. The infamous “Sign Reus” shouts make perfect sense right now. He was phenomenal last season for Dortmund, so wouldn’t come cheap. I’d say maybe £50-55m region. But he has everything we’re looking for, world class ability, arguably superior to Bobby and on par with Mane. He’s versatile, can play across the front 3. Would he particularly good option in the false 9 position. He has worked and flourished under Klopp. His fitness record would mean he would be happy to be a rotation player. In short he’s fucking boss, one of the few players out there that could seamlessly fit into our front 3.

No idea what the club's transfer plans are for this summer. The lack of incoming activity has got many thinking that we'll keep our powder dry and have what we hold. Others reckon we won't be spending an awful lot either because there is no need or because we need to sell to buy. Others still think we'll see activity over the coming month.

I was looking at a list of free agents on transfermarkt based on players who play in positions we could do with strengthening (the full backs, a back-up goalkeeper if Mig departs, and another forward who can play out wide). I don't think Klopp or Edwards are looking at anyone in their 30s so the high-profile likes of Alves, Robben and Ribery would be out. However, it's noticeable that there wasn't really anybody under 30 who could come into the squad and prove to be useful in the way that Milner and Matip have, for example.

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Jesus Christ. You don't think klopp will know got Andy robbo was? How fucking insulting! 

As for finding someone to work with the stats pack, of course it needs someone to do it. It also needs someone who sees through their bullshit, they just literally will be able to find every player in the world, because they don't need to watch or scout them, just search like a fucking fancy championship manager. Obviously now and again, they'll pick a good player. Are you telling me Brandt would have failed here, or is it all just down to who we buy and not how they're managed when they arrived? 

My point is this works because klopp is a genius. Without him, we'd be where we were under Rodgers. 

I'm glad you don't care that we don't invest. Unfortunately I do. I want us to give ourselves the best possible chance of winning the league and we'll do that with a couple of quality signings not a wedge in the bank to keep our owners happy. Next season will be much tougher than this for lots of reasons. Refusing to stock the squad in preparation is negligence imo. 

My point is that Klopp and the transfer people work well together. They've suggested players to him such as Robertson and Salah, players who we pretty much know for a fact weren't Klopp's first choice, that have turned out brilliantly. 

I get it, your shtick is to spin it into "Klopp does everything", but the fact is that Klopp has said himself that being at this club in this structure has been tremendous for him. 

I mean, yeah they could spend more money, I won't argue that. I don't mind it but I won't argue that. But there's really no point in speaking to you anymore on the subject if you denigrate the work the people at the club besides Klopp have done in the transfer market. That's just negativity for negativity's sake. It shows your opinion will never change and you can't give credit where it's due. 

23 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Big transfer news incoming in......

This sentence makes no sense. 

Which is exactly the way it should be in the Summer Transfer Window thread. 

I've always been sceptical about FSG, which I think is healthy to a certain extent, but I am closer to 3Stacks' position than Barry's as things stand.  It's important to enjoy the moment because Klopp won't be here forever.  If Klopp is happy, TK's happy.  I have full faith in him to extract the most out of his squad and continue to deliver results/trophies.  

I didn't enjoy last season enough because of the constant pressure.  But winning in Madrid brought closure on a lot of things, so I'll enjoy next season a lot more as European fucking Champions.  I can't get worked up about squad investment, net spend or whatever.  That can wait until we're shit again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

My point is that Klopp and the transfer people work well together. They've suggested players to him such as Robertson and Salah, players who we pretty much know for a fact weren't Klopp's first choice, that have turned out brilliantly. 

I get it, your shtick is to spin it into "Klopp does everything", but the fact is that Klopp has said himself that being at this club in this structure has been tremendous for him. 

I mean, yeah they could spend more money, I won't argue that. I don't mind it but I won't argue that. But there's really no point in speaking to you anymore on the subject if you denigrate the work the people at the club besides Klopp have done in the transfer market. That's just negativity for negativity's sake. It shows your opinion will never change and you can't give credit where it's due. 

Klopp worked pretty much the same model at dortmund. I guess they weren't as stats driven, but he had players brought to him, players sold on him and he managed to make it work. That's klopps skill. When the stats team had to make things work with Rodgers, they went and bought their players, he got some of his. We got nothing. They managed to keep their jobs because they are out of the limelight. The failing of our transfer policy under Rodgers was a failure on both sides. That's fixed, because klopp is in that very small tier of football man who can make things work. I'm sure he'll have a good crack of making this coming season work with less players and more games and he certainly won't bitch about it the way many other managers would. I am happy to accept we have a leader who is pretty much unique , the men around him have achieved fuck all on their own. I don't think Dortmund and Zorc have quite hit the same heights without him either. 

• Upvote 2

All games are crunch games next season. There is no margin for error with this City side. Any game where an injury to one of our top players turns 3 points into 1 point will mean something at the end of the season.

We need strength in depth - not just in case of injury, but also to make a difference off the bench. We have two players in Shaqiri and Origi that can do that currently. City have Sane, De Bruyne, Jesus, Mahrez and Gundogan. They have two centre backs in Stones and Otamendi that would be first choice for at least 16 clubs in the league.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

They don't have a European Cup though, the scruffy twats. 

Yep. They are doing all this spending like drunken sailors to get what Liverpool already have. All this on top of an investigation into having already spent too much! 

12 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

BBC Gossip pages suggest: 

1) We're open to Coutinho returning (Le 10 Sport)

2) Real Madrid want to swap Asensio for Mané (Express)

I'd suggest neither are worth the click. 

I have now come around being open to the first proposition. Just what we have been missing in the creative department.

31 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

There's a few guys on twitter (yes I know) are fairly convinced that Bruno Fernandes is a foregone conclusion. 

Will the appease the masses? At least we'll get a lean? 

Zero chance of that happening.