You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

BBC Gossip pages suggest: 

1) We're open to Coutinho returning (Le 10 Sport)

2) Real Madrid want to swap Asensio for Mané (Express)

I'd suggest neither are worth the click. 

Yeah. I want to swap my 80yr old mum for Alexandra Daddario. I fear both myself and  Real Madrid will be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Aventus said:

I'd like "spend what we earn" to apply to what we earn through sponsorships, ticket sales and the TV money. Rather than our budget being based on player sales. 

From 2013 to 2018 (the last set of published accounts), we had generated £167m of cash (revenues less costs) that could be spent on transfers. We spent a net of £282m on transfers, ergo we spent more than we earnt over those 5 years.

Maybe there is a bit of book balancing going on, spending more than you earn is not really a sustainable business model.

The shareholder loan for the Main Stand redevelopment was meant to have been paid off over 5.5 years at roughly £20m a year, over the first 2 years we paid off £10m compared to the expected £40m, that could be one thing that cash is being used for and constraining the budget

• Upvote 1

Arsenal have purportedly bid £40m for Zaha. No 1 pence? Anyway, Zaha’s brother doing his shithousery for him with this Sky interview.

“Wilfried will always hold Crystal Palace and their fans in the highest regard and all the support they have given means the world to him.

“It’s my brother’s dream though, to play for Arsenal," he added.

“Given all that Wilfried has given to Crystal Palace to help them remain a Premier League club, I hope Palace will be able to see their way to agreeing a deal with Arsenal that allows Wilfried to realise his dream of playing European Football for the club he’s supported since childhood.”

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Ings to Southampton went through today. £20m in the coffers.

£5m for Camacho

£2m for Grujic loan fee

£2.25m for Karius

£0.3m for Adekanje tribunal fee.

Hopefully Clyne and Mignolet will add to that as well. Milan are still interested in Lovren .

Wilson, Kent and Awoniyi could probably add to the funds as well. 

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The "stats boys" are getting it right with a manager that works alongside with them. Rodgers didn't and made it clear he was never going to. That leads to confusion, in-fighting, lack of trust, etc... People can't do their jobs when they can't work together with people they're supposed to work together. That was a mistake that's been rectified and hopefully will be learned from in the future.

It's not really rocket science. You get a manager that has the ability to have a working relationship with the transfer people, and good things will probably happen. Also, Klopp wanted Brandt, the "stats boys" wanted Salah and convinced Klopp to buy him. It's not all him.

Andy Robertson is also a "stats boys" signing. You really think Klopp knew who Andy Robertson was? Like I said, it's a working relationship. If we can replicate that in the future, even with someone a bit less good than Klopp, we'll be fine. 

If we don't spend what we earned, the squad is shite and the results aren't up to par, then that won't be right. But right now I don't really care. 

Jesus Christ. You don't think klopp will know got Andy robbo was? How fucking insulting! 

As for finding someone to work with the stats pack, of course it needs someone to do it. It also needs someone who sees through their bullshit, they just literally will be able to find every player in the world, because they don't need to watch or scout them, just search like a fucking fancy championship manager. Obviously now and again, they'll pick a good player. Are you telling me Brandt would have failed here, or is it all just down to who we buy and not how they're managed when they arrived? 

My point is this works because klopp is a genius. Without him, we'd be where we were under Rodgers. 

I'm glad you don't care that we don't invest. Unfortunately I do. I want us to give ourselves the best possible chance of winning the league and we'll do that with a couple of quality signings not a wedge in the bank to keep our owners happy. Next season will be much tougher than this for lots of reasons. Refusing to stock the squad in preparation is negligence imo. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Hertha got some investment last week right so it would make sense for them to buy him outright. One more season on loan doesn't make sense

Unless because milner will be 12 months older and lallana will be on a bosman, he becomes the squad fill to replace both. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Ings to Southampton went through today. £20m in the coffers.

Plus the Camacho money, the gruic loan money, the 20m from solanke in January and the 240k a week we started saving today from Moreno and sturridge being off the wage bill. And add that to the 100m profit we made last season. Thank fuck we've a cushion, we need it. A few more seasons like this and we might be able to fill the gaps in the squad or get on with the Anny road. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Admirable negativity here from Barry. Credit where it’s due, almost single-handedly keeping the forum ticking over during the summer. 

Someone has to do it. Just a shame I can't get those tight cunts in Boston to do this "double down" shit we hear all about from their favourite sport. 

• Upvote 1