You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

48 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Is that right? I must have been thinking of something else, where I was surprised that we had the most.

Maybe it was most goals from subs. Or is that wrong as well?

I think you are confusing it with most pace goals, which as we all know dont even count.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Is that right? I must have been thinking of something else, where I was surprised that we had the most.

Maybe it was most goals from subs. Or is that wrong as well?

Haven't got time now to do another search, but I think we were top on goals after corners. Don't know about subs, but I reckon that's good for us too.

But to only score 5 goals from outside the box is alarmingly bad. Even Everton managed double that number.

Shots from outside the box are overrated. We aren't set up to score that way, and we scored shitloads last season when our front three were fit and firing. I reckon we need cover for them rather than someone who would need us to change our entire (very successful) system.

We already have a number 10 who is very creative, very good at getting quality balls into the box, can operate centrally behind a striker or out wide, and who loves a shot from distance. He barely played.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Shots from outside the box are overrated. We aren't set up to score that way, and we scored shitloads last season when our front three were fit and firing. I reckon we need cover for them rather than someone who would need us to change our entire (very successful) system.

We already have a number 10 who is very creative, very good at getting quality balls into the box, can operate centrally behind a striker or out wide, and who loves a shot from distance. He barely played.

Adam Lallana?

5 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

OK, maybe they are overrated coming from open play.

But scoring a handful from set pieces is something other top clubs do. It's a bonus. Why would we want to start a season with a 5-6 goals disadvantage to our rivals?

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are mostly sell to buy. It only takes one look at the net spend to see that. Now I'll be honest, and most supporters disagree with me, but I like the fact that I support a club that spends about what it earns (not that I care whether our owners make or lose money, more the part of supporting a club that is intelligent financially and makes smart decisions). 

Imo, the "we'll compete with anyone" line is more to do with the fact that they believe the club is more competent than most, which it has been, to be fair. 

To be clear, I definitely think we need one more big money attacking signing if we're to win the league. But with Klopp we've never been in a hurry and I don't really get frustrated about that kind of stuff anymore. 

so last year we made 100m, I am assuming a similar sort of figure will be heading our way this season. It's all well and good to say "spend what we earn", but what when we don't spend that? And I hve maintained since fsg bought the club, they got us on the cheap and a little injection to jump us forward was required. They didn't do that, but instead focused on how they could start pushing ticket prices that had been south of 50 quid when they arrived to towards 80 quid. OK, the fans fought back and will won that battle, but the owners have done nothing to drive us forward, their aim has always been to increase the capital value of the club. We have a great manager right now and they're getting away with how they're managing us, but everyone needs to get ready for when Klopp's copntract ends, as most other managers would get 20% less out of this lot than he does. Right now we are mirroring what happened at arsenal - a manager doing a good job and claims of "money in the bank". But it just doesn't last forever. In Arsenal's case, it went to fuck under Wengers watch, in our it will likely happen when Klopp goes as he seems dead set on leaving at the end of his 7 years. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We have a great manager right now and they're getting away with how they're managing us, but everyone needs to get ready for when Klopp's copntract ends, as most other managers would get 20% less out of this lot than he does. Right now we are mirroring what happened at arsenal - a manager doing a good job and claims of "money in the bank". But it just doesn't last forever. In Arsenal's case, it went to fuck under Wengers watch, in our it will likely happen when Klopp goes as he seems dead set on leaving at the end of his 7 years. 

You mean in 2022? Enjoy the moment, man. We have a manager who has a great and successful relationship with the owners, the transfer people, everyone at the club.

Yeah, we'll be worse when he goes and we'll need a rebuild but that's the history of team sport. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but we have smart people at the club, that's been proven.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You mean in 2022? Enjoy the moment, man. We have a manager who has a great and successful relationship with the owners, the transfer people, everyone at the club.

Yeah, we'll be worse when he goes and we'll need a rebuild but that's the history of team sport. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but we have smart people at the club, that's been proven.

yeah, 2022! We have more chance of succeeding after 2022 if we have owners who realise it is important sometimes to invest. Right now they think they're untouchable and making all the right calls. It's the manager. The stats boys were fucking crap till klopp came in. Look how they spent the suarex money. Offering just Etoo or Balotelli as a replacement for suarez. That's where we'll end back without another man of the skill and charchter of klopp (and I don't think they grow on trees) or we improve our organisation and do things better. Instead, it feels to me the "let's just get by" is the plan. 

And you didn't respond to my point about "what if we don't spend what we make"? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

yeah, 2022! We have more chance of succeeding after 2022 if we have owners who realise it is important sometimes to invest. Right now they think they're untouchable and making all the right calls. It's the manager. The stats boys were fucking crap till klopp came in. Look how they spent the suarex money. Offering just Etoo or Balotelli as a replacement for suarez. That's where we'll end back without another man of the skill and charchter of klopp (and I don't think they grow on trees) or we improve our organisation and do things better. Instead, it feels to me the "let's just get by" is the plan. 

And you didn't respond to my point about "what if we don't spend what we make"? 

The "stats boys" are getting it right with a manager that works alongside with them. Rodgers didn't and made it clear he was never going to. That leads to confusion, in-fighting, lack of trust, etc... People can't do their jobs when they can't work together with people they're supposed to work together. That was a mistake that's been rectified and hopefully will be learned from in the future.

It's not really rocket science. You get a manager that has the ability to have a working relationship with the transfer people, and good things will probably happen. Also, Klopp wanted Brandt, the "stats boys" wanted Salah and convinced Klopp to buy him. It's not all him.

Andy Robertson is also a "stats boys" signing. You really think Klopp knew who Andy Robertson was? Like I said, it's a working relationship. If we can replicate that in the future, even with someone a bit less good than Klopp, we'll be fine. 

If we don't spend what we earned, the squad is shite and the results aren't up to par, then that won't be right. But right now I don't really care. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

giphy.gif

No wonder he hasn't scored any wonder goals since. His head must have hurt after bursting into flames like that!