You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

If we're a sell to buy club, fine, let's stick to what klopp said a few months ago, which was pretty much that. It's the illusion we're otherwise that annoys me. Werner "we'll compete with anyone", this fucking annoying "not buying because we're clever" narrative. Henry's latest shite "get players fitter" or whatever the fuck he said. Injuries are part and parcel of football, be grateful it wasn't our best players that were out for so long. Virg, robbo or one of the front 3 would have killed us. If we're sell to buy, just say it, get on with it and tell the fans that's what we're about. 

We are mostly sell to buy. It only takes one look at the net spend to see that. Now I'll be honest, and most supporters disagree with me, but I like the fact that I support a club that spends about what it earns (not that I care whether our owners make or lose money, more the part of supporting a club that is intelligent financially and makes smart decisions). 

Imo, the "we'll compete with anyone" line is more to do with the fact that they believe the club is more competent than most, which it has been, to be fair. 

To be clear, I definitely think we need one more big money attacking signing if we're to win the league. But with Klopp we've never been in a hurry and I don't really get frustrated about that kind of stuff anymore. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are mostly sell to buy. It only takes one look at the net spend to see that. Now I'll be honest, and most supporters disagree with me, but I like the fact that I support a club that spends about what it earns. So I have no problem with that myself. Mostly also because we've proven that we can indeed be amongst the best. 

Imo, the "we'll compete with anyone" line is more to do with the fact that they believe the club is more competent than most, which it has been, to be fair. 

I'd like "spend what we earn" to apply to what we earn through sponsorships, ticket sales and the TV money. Rather than our budget being based on player sales. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aventus said:

I'd like "spend what we earn" to apply to what we earn through sponsorships, ticket sales and the TV money. Rather than our budget being based on player sales. 

It's a business. Can't expect every revenue stream to serve as spending money.  

It's all well and good saying only players of Mbappe's or Dembele's class would improve us. But that'd mean actually going out and signing those type of players. To sign those players you need to be competing for the league and for Europe every season. Even then there's no guarantee that Real Madrid won't come along and offer £500,000 a week and just blow our deal out of the water.

It's better to continue on the path we're on. Finding value in the market and buying good players with the potential to improve further. To sign superstars you have to pay superstar wages, and the owners won't do that. So let's not masquerade ourselves as something we're not. Let's accept what we are and work to strengthen that.

• Upvote 1

One thing I don't understand about this whole not buying to strengthen the team thing is how could Klopp be fine with it. No discontent from him at all. There's no way he feels the squad he has right now is enough to win the league this coming season, especially seeing rivals are spending serious money to improve. 

Maybe JW Henry is such a charming person or Klopp is just a really really nice guy.

46 minutes ago, Luckyhillkop said:

One thing I don't understand about this whole not buying to strengthen the team thing is how could Klopp be fine with it. No discontent from him at all. There's no way he feels the squad he has right now is enough to win the league this coming season, especially seeing rivals are spending serious money to improve. 

Maybe JW Henry is such a charming person or Klopp is just a really really nice guy.

Say what?

I have no problem with the argument that we should buy some players and improve our squad this summer, but the idea that Klopp doesn't think this squad can win the league is bollocks. Just look at any interview he's ever given about how to improve a squad. He always stresses how it's training and working to improve what you already have, rather than bringing in new players.

I mean, you can disagree with him on that, but it's pretty clearly what he thinks. And he'd be pretty justified in thinking that this summer in particular, seeing as we just got the 3rd highest points total in history and we haven't lost a single important player.

4 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Say what?

I have no problem with the argument that we should buy some players and improve our squad this summer, but the idea that Klopp doesn't think this squad can win the league is bollocks. Just look at any interview he's ever given about how to improve a squad. He always stresses how it's training and working to improve what you already have, rather than bringing in new players.

I mean, you can disagree with him on that, but it's pretty clearly what he thinks. And he'd be pretty justified in thinking that this summer in particular, seeing as we just got the 3rd highest points total in history and we haven't lost a single important player.

He did say in an interview maybe two weeks back that we needed to spend (I assumed he was referring to VVD and Allison) because other teams were spending money at that time. Well, other teams are spending money now so I don't think it's "bollocks" as you put it that he might feel we do need to spend to compete.

Also, Klopp has always been positive about his players to boost confidence. He's not going to come out and say 'we don't quite have the quality on the bench, I would like a Sane to bring off the bench' now is he?

Sigh, maybe I've answered my own question there!

With the current squad, with all the distractions coming from club world cup, UEFA super cup etc., and bearing in mind some of the luck that went our way last season, it's unrealistic to expect 97 p next season without improvements.

Our first XI still has a flaw. There are no goals coming from a distance. TAA apart we’ve got no one to score a goal from a set piece just outside the box. Also we need cover for Robbo and the front three. Without recruitment from outside the club, in all probability we won’t win the league next season.

33 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

With the current squad, with all the distractions coming from club world cup, UEFA super cup etc., and bearing in mind some of the luck that went our way last season, it's unrealistic to expect 97 p next season without improvements.

Our first XI still has a flaw. There are no goals coming from a distance. TAA apart we’ve got no one to score a goal from a set piece just outside the box. Also we need cover for Robbo and the front three. Without recruitment from outside the club, in all probability we won’t win the league next season.

We scored the most goals from outside the box in the league didn’t we?

16 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

We scored the most goals from outside the box in the league didn’t we?

Not exactly. We had 5, the same as Huddersfield and Cardiff. The giants from Salford had twice as many as us (10) with M City being top with 15.

So I think we can agree we can do slighltly better.

Can I be the first to say that it'd be a mistake not build on a position of strength as it'd be a mistake to stand still.

ITK journalists can go in the summer*

*not Paulie, El Rojo or Don Balon. 

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

Not exactly. We had 5, the same as Huddersfield and Cardiff. The giants from Salford had twice as many as us (10) with M City being top with 15.

So I think we can agree we can do slighltly better.

Is that right? I must have been thinking of something else, where I was surprised that we had the most.

Maybe it was most goals from subs. Or is that wrong as well?

28 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If you’re going to pretend to be an ITK then this is how you do it. Thoroughly professional job, which in some ways is to be admired. Click on the tweet to read the full thread.

At least he has put his bollocks on the chopping block. He clearly knows both people in Liverpool FC in order to know when they'll bid and how much, and people inside Sporting well enough to know what they'll accept. Seems very, very, very well connected. Maybe he should become a super agent instead of, you know, posting shit on Twitter from his bedroom. 

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 10.48.30.png