You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I don't think we'll do much, unless there's an opportunity to sign someone of the calibre who immediately improves our starting XI. Klopp's been spot on thus far, knowing how far he can stretch his squad, and waiting for the right players. I wouldn't be surprised if we've got one eye on whether Dembele moves on from Barca, be that this year or next.

This will be the season where our luck will run out with the front three. All 3 of them are still playing and it's July tomorrow. They won't be anything like ready for the start of the season and yet we seem intent on not adding reinforcements. 

If that's the case there will be a lot of disappointed people and you can count me among them. 

The amount of games the front 3 have played over the last 2 years is ridiculous. Even before we signed Salah we basically relied on Mane being fit the whole way though the season. 

Fed up of reading articles from the Echo about the massive spending spree we went on, even though the majority of it came from Coutinho's sale. There's a smug attitude off all the journalists about how good at transfers liverpool are and how great it is to do nothing. 

I assume we are planning on going out of the league cup and the FA Cup again at the earliest opportunity.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Champions of Europe said:

Sometimes I wonder if 97 points and Champions of Europe was just some horrible nightmare, then I leave this thread and I'm ok. 

No, it definitely happened and it's exactly the time not to rest on your laurels.

Especially when you've been extremely lucky re injuries to the front three for the last two years.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Boss said:

I don't understand the plan. We made £250m in TV revenue alone last season. Why not build from a position of strength?

What is it you don't understand? The club have been preparing us for this for 12 months. It started with the talk of how much the new contracts for the forwards cost us, was followed with the "we only spent big because of coutinho" and then we started getting all this "we're the smartest in the world at transfers and the smart people are telling us the squad is complete and the smart thing to do is nothing". It's all about containing the wage bill, it has been since fsg bought the club.

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

The amount of games the front 3 have played over the last 2 years is ridiculous. Even before we signed Salah we basically relied on Mane being fit the whole way though the season. 

Fed up of reading articles from the Echo about the massive spending spree we went on, even though the majority of it came from Coutinho's sale. There's a smug attitude off all the journalists about how good at transfers liverpool are and how great it is to do nothing. 

I assume we are planning on going out of the league cup and the FA Cup again at the earliest opportunity.

Yeo. That smug attitude is the club's though. Here's the thing, there's no proper journalism around football now, we just have this converyor belt of journalists around the club who have just one source of income, LFC. They offer nothing on any other clubs and their aim is to be able to make as many clicks for their employers as possible. Their best way to do that is to keep the club onside. They offer no questions when the club come out with this smug shite, instead just deliver it verbatim. It's been going on for years and the drip, drip, drip of this news is aimed at reducing the expectations of the fans all the way. 

• Upvote 4

Remember 2 seasons ago when Mane was injured I think in November and then he was going to the Afcon in January?. We just scraped through both periodd then rushed him back on a private jet to be on the bench against Chelsea. Salah and Mane will be done in and need a rest.

Everyone keeps going on about someone coming in as back up but there are bound to be injuries and it would be good to rotate 4 players and keep them all fresh rather than expecting 3 to be available the whole season and to perform to their usual high standards. 

Torres and Gerrard both suffered long term damage because the club was over reliant on them. 

I do agree that the journalists who cover the club are all insufferable (because they are broadly told what to say by the club). They all say they aren't told what to write, but that can't be true as there are always these periods where every single "itk" journo release basically the exact same article. 

That said, if the club don't want to spend on big money players because they don't think they would be improvements on our already great starting 11, it's hard for me to argue against that financially if we're a sell to buy club and want a reasonable wage bill. 

I don’t think we need the addition of any definite starters, but failing to embellish the squad strikes me as risky for reasons already stated - long season exacerbated by the AFCON & Copa America, already less depth than Man City, who won’t stand still.

The concern isn’t not winning the league or CL, but falling behind in the sort of damaging way we've seen before. It’s rare that a club goes backwards badly and recovers to challenge under the same manager, and that awful hangover after a fine season put paid to Houllier, Benitez & Rodgers. Then the interminable rebuild begins...

Bolster the squad as we did in 2005, and I’ll feel confident that we're not a couple of injuries away from being in a pretty precarious position.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Remember 2 seasons ago when Mane was injured I think in November and then he was going to the Afcon in January?. We just scraped through both periodd then rushed him back on a private jet to be on the bench against Chelsea. Salah and Mane will be done in and need a rest.

Everyone keeps going on about someone coming in as back up but there are bound to be injuries and it would be good to rotate 4 players and keep them all fresh rather than expecting 3 to be available the whole season and to perform to their usual high standards. 

Torres and Gerrard both suffered long term damage because the club was over reliant on them. 

We used to have 4 quality forwards for 2 positions. 

Now we have 3 for 3 and are told no one would come here. 

It’s bullshit. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Spot on about that 4th player playing matches. It's why I support coutinho coming back. With reasonable rotation, luck with injuries and coutinho playing a bunch of matches is midfield, we can probably expect all of them to start over 50 matches each. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I do agree that the journalists who cover the club are all insufferable (because they are broadly told what to say by the club). They all say they aren't told what to write, but that can't be true as there are always these periods where every single "itk" journo release basically the exact same article. 

That said, if the club don't want to spend on big money players because they don't think they would be improvements on our already great starting 11, it's hard for me to argue against that financially if we're a sell to buy club and want a reasonable wage bill. 

If we're a sell to buy club, fine, let's stick to what klopp said a few months ago, which was pretty much that. It's the illusion we're otherwise that annoys me. Werner "we'll compete with anyone", this fucking annoying "not buying because we're clever" narrative. Henry's latest shite "get players fitter" or whatever the fuck he said. Injuries are part and parcel of football, be grateful it wasn't our best players that were out for so long. Virg, robbo or one of the front 3 would have killed us. If we're sell to buy, just say it, get on with it and tell the fans that's what we're about. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

We used to have 4 quality forwards for 2 positions. 

Now we have 3 for 3 and are told no one would come here. 

It’s bullshit. 

Bang on. 

Long way to go in the window. I ain't worried, I won't be worried if we sign nobody just a bit frustrated. My concern is we should be looking to close the gap with city in terms of quality rather than standing still and let the club's below us try to close the gap on us. The only way to close the gap with city in my opinion is more quality in squad depth. We need better options off the bench or too regularly rotate . This season we were only 1 point off them but we had to be almost flawless and our injury record for our big players near perfect. Plus I just think we need a different option especially through the middle that can give teams another fucking headache when facing us.

It's hard to say we need more when we have a 97 point season and are European champions. As possibly the last season we will have our full front 3 we are bound to sell one of them next year. It feels like we should strike whilst the irons hot, European champions and guess what we've just added more class. I'll always want another top player though. Regardless as long as we have klopp I'm good.

This was my biggest fear coming into the summer. I was holding on to the fact that we have now established ourselves and like the sides of old we would build from a position of strength. FFS we had Kenny and Rushie up front and we still went out and bought Wark and Walsh. We replaced Rushie with Aldo and still bought Beardsley, Barnes and Houghton.

Im hoping its all smoke and we are working behind the scenes because we got lucky last year with no major injuries to the front three or VDV.

But I'm still not convinced with our owners and I don't think I will ever be. Ive only ever seen us move for big signings after offloading and so the narrative seems to be the same again. they may splash if origi doesn't sign, but if he does they will go the cheap option.

• Upvote 1

One opportunity that presents itself, is to start sweeping up a few other trophies. 

Sign players that will allow us to rotate. Don't confuse this with signing 'squad players'. Successful clubs can keep good players who are happy to rotate.

Lets win more stuff. 

• Upvote 1