You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

It would appear that way to you and me but these guys wank off to spread sheets. If it was such a no brainer it would have happened already.

I thought Tom Werner had already spelt this out. It would take too many years for FSG's liking to pay back (I think he said 17, it was certainly more than 15 - the main stands original business plan was 7 years I think), this was largely to do with being maxed on corporate already and the lack of appetite of fans to pay more for a ticket.

My personal opinion is they're sitting it out to see how it goes with the main stand. When they filled it full of corporate packages, they expected to fill it with corporate people. That didn't happen but such is the desperation for tickets, they have no issue selling corporate seats to regular punters on day trips. I guess that works for a period, I'm sure lots of people will do it once, but will they do it once per season? Or if fsg put 6k seats of regular priced tickets in the anfield road, would it undermine their ability to sell these main stand seats. 

It all comes down to money. My argument has always been they have only committed to one thing when they bought the club on the cheap, it was to solve the stadium situation and give us a 60k seater stadium. They paid 200-300m for the club, which is now getting valued towards 2bn. They've made their money, just sort the fucking stand out. 

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree. I think for a backup left back Milner is perfectly fine, but I do think the club will do something else as well.

In terms of the Palace game, that was a complete defensive shit show on our part. Milner wasn't making positional mistakes or being caught out, things he could blamed for. He was left all alone with one of the best 1 on 1 players in world football through faulty defensive organisation.

On the surface, you can say he was exposed, but I don't think that game shows he isn't still fine for the role.

Anyway, all that to say, backup full back really isn't a big deal for me.

Full back isn't a big deal to you?  Did you watch us last season to see how many goals were created from full back?  They were integral to our attack. Can you imagine getting anywhere near that from Milner and Gomez? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Moo said:

Full back isn't a big deal to you?  Did you watch us last season to see how many goals were created from full back?  They were integral to our attack. Can you imagine getting anywhere near that from Milner and Gomez? 

No, our backup fullback spots aren't keeping me up at night. Sorry. 

4 hours ago, Boss said:

I think it's propaganda by the club to keep the transfer prices down. If Klopp doesn't want anybody, i'm fine with that. If it's the owners that don't want to spend then they can get fucked.

I don't understand anyone who doesn't think the team running recruitment haven't earned our trust by this point. They've hardly gotten a single decision wrong since Klopp came in.

If they tell me that all they want is a backup LB, a half-decent wide forward option, and a youngster or two, I'm fine with it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd believe they were keeping their powder dry to make a run at someone like Dembele or Mbappe next summer, that's how much trust I have in them.

Of course if we were talking about Gillett and Hicks, you'd suspect (you'd know!) that they were doing this to avoid investing in the club and you'd be right to be upset about the lack of investment. But if Edwards wants to tell me, say, that Pepe only takes our odds of winning the league next season from 30% to 32%, and he'd rather save the money up and buy Mbappe to take our odds from 30% to 40%, then at this point I think he's earned that right. (Obviously I've just completely made up those figures but you get what I mean.)

And of course, as you say, there's a very good chance it's all bollocks anyway and we're just trying to keep transfer prices down for the players we want, or trying to keep other clubs from finding out who we're buying.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We already had a big renovation at Anfield, outspent Spurs, beat them in the CL final, and massively outscored them in the league. Forgive me if I don’t share your envy. 

That was all great, but If we are to stay ahead of them next year then we will need to buy now. 

If we don't buy anyone this summer then there is absolutely no reason why they can't do anfield road. 

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

That was all great, but If we are to stay ahead of them next year then we will need to buy now. 

If we don't buy anyone this summer then there is absolutely no reason why they can't do anfield road. 

We can do both. Again, you’re prattling on about Spurs having more ambition but it’s nonsense. They built a stadium for football, NFL, and other events in London. Cool. Our fan base wanted to stay at Anfield. We did. Would I like to see is get a move on with Anny? Sure. But us not having done it yet doesn’t mean we have less ambition than Spurs. 

We need a creative player through the middle for when teams focus on our full backs who create most our chances. Don't know if kieta is that player as it got to the point we applauded just average performances from him. I don't think Ox or Henderson are the answers to that position although both will be important. We need full back cover, Milner has pretty much hinted he doesnt want to do it and I would like a boss forward just because I do.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We need a creative player through the middle for when teams focus on our full backs who create most our chances. Don't know if kieta is that player as it got to the point we applauded just average performances from him. I don't think Ox or Henderson are the answers to that position although both will be important. We need full back cover, Milner has pretty much hinted he doesnt want to do it and I would like a boss forward just because I do.

Agreed.

And ..... we also need to have a goal threat from outside the box. Not only will we score some goals from a distance, opposition defence must consider the threat opening space for our front three. If there's one thing we could do better it's this. We haven't replaced Coutinho yet.

One name ticks the boxes. Bruno Fernandes from Sporting.

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’m sure everyone on here will react in a mature, measured way if that’s the case. 

If we don't, we will need to know the reasons why. I think we will, so I'm not pissing my pants over it. If we don't, and it's because of the manager... trust the guy. If he wants players and the owners won't give any more - which I highly doubt - then an outcry would be warranted. Still, I think we will get players.