You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

100% true. There has been an agenda for a long time and it has nothing to do with whether or not we win or buy players or show ambition, it has to do with some people hating the owners. I challenge those people to name owners they would prefer from anywhere in world football, outside of the oligarch, nation-state backed clubs like City and PSG. 

Spurs owners starting to show actual ambition. 

Built a big fuck off new shiny stadium costing almost ten times our single stand and now buying big expensive players. 

They will likely finish this summer in a much stronger position than us. 

I’ve never said I hate the owners, NV, only that I wouldn’t trust them. But then I’ve always said that after G&H I wouldn’t trust any owners. Except if the owner were me. Maybe Usher at a push.

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

And how will that improve the club, the ability to spend more, etc? 

Theoretically it should protect the club from profit-seeking investors. I also very much like the idea of supporters having a say in the decision making process. In terms of the ability to spend more, I’m not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Built a big fuck off new shiny stadium costing almost ten times our single stand and now buying big expensive players. 

Why, have they paid it off already or something?

9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You’ve made that last part up. Still, feel free to link me to where you said the same thing when they bought nobody last season and complained about us buying hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players. 

Daisy?

Daisy come back?!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

It doesn't matter what FSG do some will never be happy. They could build an 100K seat stadium on the moon and you would complain there was no atmosphere

The criticism of the progress of the Anfield Road end is valid. They seem to keep putting it off for as long as possible.

That end of the ground is awful and they only have until September until outline planning permission runs out. The demand for tickets will be bigger than ever now that we are European Champions.  They said they would do it if we were in the Champions League for a couple of years running, we will be again next season after 2 finals in a row. 

If they have some secret masterplan to submit a new application with a bigger capacity then I would have no reason to criticise them. There just seems to be Everton levels of procrastination over something that would end up paying for itself.

• Upvote 2

SEMEDO SET FOR OLYMPIACOS

Villarreal have reached a transfer agreement with Olympiacos for Portuguese defender Ruben Semedo.

The 25-year-old spent time on loan at Huesca and Rio Ave last season after a controversial 2018.

He spent five months in prison in Spain after he was charged with a number of offences including robbery, assault, kidnapping and attempted murder

3 hours ago, moof said:

It’s not saying it how it is, it’s a distortion. Running the squad threadbare? We did alright last season for such a threadbare squad. Dear me

We got lucky with injuries last season and played the absolute bare minimum games in the domestic cups. We've got a minimum of 4 additional matches this season too. 

If any of the front 3, robbo or vvd had got an injury of the time Kane had for instance or de bruyne at city, we'd have massively struggled. Sturridge couldn't have played lots of games and despite his goals, we can see what klopp thinks of origi by the lack of minutes he gave him. The front 3 are away all summer, in fact the afcon doesn't finish till the day before our 3rd pre season friendly. You can be happy we got away with it last season and hope we put it right, starting by adding a genuine footballer to replace sturridge. Or you can go, it'll be alright we won a cup last season, so we'll probably do the same this year. Why get more players, let's cut the wage bill instead. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Agt Provocateur said:

I do.

We got lucky with Robbo last season. Can you imagine that Moreno bum having had to have played 10 games? Trent got a few bangs last season and it resulted in us having to play either a centre half (because that's what Gomez is) or a 34 year old midfielder at right back. 

Apart from another versatile forward, I think this is our most pressing need. I do not want to see Miner at full back and Gomez even less.  

My memory might be playing tricks with me, but the phase of the season we dropped the points with lots of draws was when Trent was out the team or finding his way back in after injury. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

My memory might be playing tricks with me, but the phase of the season we dropped the points with lots of draws was when Trent was out the team or finding his way back in after injury. 

Not playing tricks with you. Henderson was RB for Leicester at home and Milner away. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

The criticism of the progress of the Anfield Road end is valid. They seem to keep putting it off for as long as possible.

That end of the ground is awful and they only have until September until outline planning permission runs out. The demand for tickets will be bigger than ever now that we are European Champions.  They said they would do it if we were in the Champions League for a couple of years running, we will be again next season after 2 finals in a row. 

If they have some secret masterplan to submit a new application with a bigger capacity then I would have no reason to criticise them. There just seems to be Everton levels of procrastination over something that would end up paying for itself.

I really don't get this attitude, its not FSG's money that would pay for the redevelopment, it would be the clubs or a bank loan for the club. No one would object to the club borrowing 100m to spend on improving the stadium. There wouldn't be internet terrorists bombarding banks. If increasing the Anfield Road end makes financial sense they will do it, if they have data that says it's doesn't then they won't. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So you're happy for the club to be put into debt against the banks to the tune of, what, a billion quid? Understood.

No, not at all. 

We don't need that, nothing near that. Just a small fraction of that ambition is required, but desperately lacking. 

41 minutes ago, Daisy said:

No, not at all. 

We don't need that, nothing near that. Just a small fraction of that ambition is required, but desperately lacking. 

We already had a big renovation at Anfield, outspent Spurs, beat them in the CL final, and massively outscored them in the league. Forgive me if I don’t share your envy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Agt Provocateur said:

There's no way the club loses out by expanding the Anfield Road End. Not a chance in hell. The season ticket waiting list would still stretch into the distance. 

It would appear that way to you and me but these guys wank off to spread sheets. If it was such a no brainer it would have happened already.

• Like 1

I'd assume it would be a question of whether a renovation would add more seats or give the current capacity adequate space and headroom. It's doubtful they'll be able to charge more regardless so without significant increase in seats, why would they?

They should, because the current setup is utter shite.  But I doubt there are many reasons to rush into it.