You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Apart from having no back up full backs or creative midfielders to speak of. 

Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner are all creative in different ways. There's also a slim chance Lallana will be back. We could improve in that area but to say there's no depth there is wrong.

No one cares about backup fullbacks.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner are all creative in different ways. There's also a slim chance Lallana will be back. We could improve in that area but to say there's no depth there is wrong.

I care!

Do you remember Zaha zooming past Milner..Milner cares!

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Did spurs lose so many because pochettino knew draws would kill them so they ended up going for broke at some points and it ultimately cost them. He dared and lost.

Maybe...I think he has been lauded a little too much, done well given the purse strings and football at times easy on the eye but not convinced he is the real deal...Rafa at Spurs I think would have got a higher points total!

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I do.

We got lucky with Robbo last season. Can you imagine that Moreno bum having had to have played 10 games? Trent got a few bangs last season and it resulted in us having to play either a centre half (because that's what Gomez is) or a 34 year old midfielder at right back. 

Apart from another versatile forward, I think this is our most pressing need. I do not want to see Miner at full back and Gomez even less.  

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, Nolongerathletic said:

Maybe...I think he has been lauded a little too much, done well given the purse strings and football at times easy on the eye but not convinced he is the real deal...Rafa at Spurs I think would have got a higher points total!

Maybe but I dread the thought of pochettino going to United, which I do think will happen.

15 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

I do.

We got lucky with Robbo last season. Can you imagine that Moreno bum having had to have played 10 games? Trent got a few bangs last season and it resulted in us having to play either a centre half (because that's what Gomez is) or a 34 year old midfielder at right back. 

Apart from another versatile forward, I think this is our most pressing need. I do not want to see Miner at full back and Gomez even less.  

We're gonna sign some random for 10m and it will be fine or Milner will deputize again. That's what I mean, it's not a concern, there's an easy fix.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We're gonna sign some random for 10m and it will be fine or Milner will deputize again. That's what I mean, it's not a concern, there's an easy fix.

If we do sign a utility player for £10m then I am absolutely fine with that. We need someone like Arbeloa but full backs who can play both sides are not common. We have one already in Clyne but we won't be able to keep him as he needs to be playing at his age. 

I am really not happy with Milner deputising. The Palace game that @Nolongerathletic referenced was enough to end that experiment for me. He did great as a second half substitute against a Barcelona team that was mentally broken, really really great in fact. But I don't want to see him play at full back. Let's keep his legs for midfield where he belongs and where he rules. 

All we need is a back up forward and a back up full back, ideally one who can cover both sides of both. 

Brewster replaces Sturridge, who, apart from a few moments in the early part of the season, contributed basically nothing last season. 

The midfield and central defence is well stocked, especially with AOC returning and hopefully more to come from Keita. 

Sub keeper if Mignolet leaves. 

We should be able to spend £100 million maximum and get what we need and that's without thinking about outgoings. 

8 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

If we do sign a utility player for £10m then I am absolutely fine with that. We need someone like Arbeloa but full backs who can play both sides are not common. We have one already in Clyne but we won't be able to keep him as he needs to be playing at his age. 

I am really not happy with Milner deputising. The Palace game that @Nolongerathletic referenced was enough to end that experiment for me. He did great as a second half substitute against a Barcelona team that was mentally broken, really really great in fact. But I don't want to see him play at full back. Let's keep his legs for midfield where he belongs and where he rules. 

I disagree. I think for a backup left back Milner is perfectly fine, but I do think the club will do something else as well.

In terms of the Palace game, that was a complete defensive shit show on our part. Milner wasn't making positional mistakes or being caught out, things he could blamed for. He was left all alone with one of the best 1 on 1 players in world football through faulty defensive organisation.

On the surface, you can say he was exposed, but I don't think that game shows he isn't still fine for the role.

Anyway, all that to say, backup full back really isn't a big deal for me.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Maybe but I dread the thought of pochettino going to United, which I do think will happen.

Pochettino would be perfect for them - just enough outside their inner circle that he would have to be given his way and enough time but nowhere near strong enough or with enough clout to change/challenge the dysfunction.

Definitely a back up full back but I think that's about it. I would like to see more creativity in the midfield but maybe Keita can give that next season and maybe with Shaq playing a bit more and maybe also Lallana. Maybe one more creative midfielder. 

Not Serge Gnarby. I got Serge Gnarby on football manager. He's shit. 

57 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree. I think for a backup left back Milner is perfectly fine, but I do think the club will do something else as well.

In terms of the Palace game, that was a complete defensive shit show on our part. Milner wasn't making positional mistakes or being caught out, things he could blamed for. He was left all alone with one of the best 1 on 1 players in world football through faulty defensive organisation.

On the surface, you can say he was exposed, but I don't think that game shows he isn't still fine for the role.

Anyway, all that to say, backup full back really isn't a big deal for me.

I'm not pointing the finger at Milner by himself because I agree that it was a shitshow overall. But I just don't want to see a 34 year old midfielder being wasted at full back myself. 

23 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's not like the club have got fuck all money.  Most fans realise we don't need to spend 300m each season like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

We just need 2 or 3 players to fill the squad up. No way can we rely on the front 3 to play 60 games without injury or being fucked. The season before we made an 8m profit 

All those articles since the Champions League final are a bit smug about how good the club have been at transfers. 

We will still be here in 5 years time wondering when the Anfield Road end will be getting built. 

It doesn't matter what FSG do some will never be happy. They could build an 100K seat stadium on the moon and you would complain there was no atmosphere

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, index1000 said:

It doesn't matter what FSG do some will never be happy.

100% true. There has been an agenda for a long time and it has nothing to do with whether or not we win or buy players or show ambition, it has to do with some people hating the owners. I challenge those people to name owners they would prefer from anywhere in world football, outside of the oligarch, nation-state backed clubs like City and PSG. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

100% true. There has been an agenda for a long time and it has nothing to do with whether or not we win or buy players or show ambition, it has to do with some people hating the owners. I challenge those people to name owners they would prefer from anywhere in world football, outside of the oligarch, nation-state backed clubs like City and PSG. 

I like the concept of fan ownership, like clubs in Bundesliga.