You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Anubis

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes, I remember when the club went out of their way to say Alisson wasn't being pursued as well. 

Yeah, I don't think local journos know much about what's happening nowadays but outright dismissals of interest should probably be taken at face value.

With Alisson I think our interest was made known but the journos made it seem like what changed was that Roma became more lenient regarding the price. Anyway, we'll see. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

A day or two before he signed wasn’t it?

Pepe will be leaning by the weekend. 

Yep, I actually remember posting a couple of days before that there were too many stories about him for it to be constantly denied. Obviously lots of people called it bullshit but he signed a couple of days later. Sometimes there are just too many stories on players over the last couple of years for them to be dismissed out of hand. Keita, Alisson to name but two.

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

I didn't really understand the Nicolas Pepe rumours. We're well stocked in the left footed right sided forward position. What we need is a left sided forward who is right footed. 

We need a forward who has the qualities and profile to rotate with Salah or Mane without compromising our style. Whether that player is left or right footed doesn't make a difference if they can play multiple positions in front, which Pepe can do.

If you can name me some right footed, left sided players who are as good and productive as Pepe and fit our style just as well, then fair enough, but I don't think there are any that rival what he would bring. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

My point is ornstien was spot on and he was slated because of course we'd buy. Now apparently because it's clever not to buy, everyone seems accepting of it. 

I get Joyce might have an angle on transfers. But if someone like ornstien says it, my view was 1. He's not a tabloid tit so is unlikely to make it up and 2. His bread and butter is not dependent on pushing stories the club want him to, so he has no need to join the propaganda machine. Long and short of it, if he's pretty sure about something, it's because he's been found something out he believes to be true. He doesn't have to be in the pocket of the club or breaking transfer news every week, he's just doing an old fashioned credible journo's job. 

He was spot on? Did the window close? 

I think it’s important that we take advantage of our standing and buy from a position of strength. We can’t afford to stand still.  

The most important thing for me is that the Manager is backed fully as there will be quite a few clubs who would happily take him off our hands. 

We must show ambition and progress. We must use this momentum. 

We have been in this position before and not capitalised, can’t do that again. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ginny said:

Ndombele to spurs? Deal done  

Hopefully Spurs are not really our business this upcoming season but still, I am definitely NOT a fan of seeing Spurs fix the biggest problem in their squad with the best available player to do it with. Ndombele is seriously good.

Plus it means Lyon will definitely hang on to Aouar until next season at the very least. He is going to cost us an arm and a leg when we eventually go to pry him away from them.

They have lot more problems than just a CDM. Their whole defence needs refreshin with Alderwield leaving, Vertonghen getting on and the full backs not being great. They've beaten quite a few big teams to his signature but none of them had him as their first choice. Another interesting point is that Levy usually gets his man for cheap and Lyon couple of weeks back said that they wouldn't sell Ndombele for less than 63 million. However, spurs have paid 65 million which is surprising considering Levy. I imagine they would have beaten their wage structure to get him which will open a can of worms with the other squad members who'll start pushing for the same.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

They have lot more problems than just a CDM. Their whole defence needs refreshin with Alderwield leaving, Vertonghen getting on and the full backs not being great. They've beaten quite a few big teams to his signature but none of them had him as their first choice. Another interesting point is that Levy usually gets his man for cheap and Lyon couple of weeks back said that they wouldn't sell Ndombele for less than 63 million. However, spurs have paid 65 million which is surprising considering Levy. I imagine they would have beaten their wage structure to get him which will open a can of worms with the other squad members who'll start pushing for the same.

Sanchez and Foyth are good young centre halfs 

I see Spurs improving as a positive for us.

We need more teams that can compete with and take points from City.

And maybe the dross will actually make an effort against City if they're also less likely to take points off ourselves, Spurs and one or two others (though beyond maybe Leicester, it's hard to see any other sides performing to an acceptable level next season. Manchester United and Chelsea will still be in joke shop territory.)

Edited to say: And I'd forgotten that Arsenal exist, which says enough.

Why Bruno Fernandes is the perfect Paul Pogba replacement for ‘Solskjaerball’

https://www.squawka.com/en/features/bruno-fernandes-man-utd-paul-pogba-replacement/?amp

And it’s not just that they need bodies; they have bodies, they need quality. The kind of quality that fits Solskjaer’s style of play: fast and vertical. Possession and technique is important, but speed and dynamism is the key.

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif